Surnames and Sectarianism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Re: Surnames and Sectarianism

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:34 pm
This list is so narrow to a particular type of Anabaptist church (basically, conservative Anabaptists except not Old Orders and also not Holdemans nor Apostolics) that it is hard to imagine anyone who would be looking for that exact list who isn't already a conservative Anabaptist.

It would seem to me to be better to describe it as "conservative Mennonite or of similar faith and practice." Yes, I realise there are some Charity, etc. who are allergic to the "Mennonite" label.
Well, whether churchindex.org is too broad (as you first stated), or too narrow (as you later stated), I am hopeful it will be a good resource for seekers like myself and like many others I've gotten to know in my journey. Most seekers who find the Anabaptist tradition are looking for something more Biblical and more "early church" than the evangelical movement, and something more personable and less institutional/heirarchical than something like Catholic, Orthodox, or Anglican. But there aren't a lot of resources online that will show you ALL of the churches that would scratch this itch. There are individual databases for each conference in the wider Mennonite world. The best thing would be Pilgrim Ministries, but even that is specific to Mennonites.

ChurchIndex.org mainly brings in the Charity church movement plants together in a database, so that you can see there is more than just "various shades of Mennonite" in this Anabaptist tradition. I only found out about the numerous conservative non-affiliated churches by word of mouth, visiting Mennonite para-church ministry centers. Until I found out about them (there are a lot!) I really didn't know how to find "anabaptist" churches except for looking for "Mennonite" churches.
0 x