Voting in elections, grocery store fires, plain Catholics... and a poll!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Check your favorite hotdog toppings/condiments!!

Ketchup
11%
Mustard
19%
Chili
11%
Sauerkraut
11%
Coleslaw
1%
Onions
14%
Peppers (sweet or hot)
6%
Salsa
3%
Pickle relish
14%
Other (please describe)
9%

Total votes: 79

eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Re: Voting in elections, grocery store fires, plain Catholics... and a poll!

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:06 pm With modern cars it is more complicated to disable / remove the radio...
Yeah, I forget about that. Still driving clunkers that don't have the radio on the CAN bus.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:28 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:06 pm With modern cars it is more complicated to disable / remove the radio...
Yeah, I forget about that. Still driving clunkers that don't have the radio on the CAN bus.
My cars would be the same. I got a 2009 Honda recently and didn’t bother to remove the radio. Can’t imagine ever turn in it on on purpose.

At some point I want to get one of those weather radios that can’t turn in AM/FM, for emergencies.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Verity wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:53 pm Oops, pardon me. It was totally American usage ;)

Spanish also has many localized slang words that can get you into trouble. Perhaps we should compile a list of Anabaptist slang?

One humorous memory I have- some of my relatives came to visit school, comprised of all Mennonite children. At recess time the children were yelling "I'm fresh! I'm fresher!" and one little lass burst into song "I'm so happy and gay!" The looks on my relatives' faces were priceless! It took a bit of explaining... I still chuckle a bit when I hear these.
Were they playing Prisoner’s Base by chance. That was a favorite of the children and youth in our church growing up.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:56 pm
My cars would be the same. I got a 2009 Honda recently and didn’t bother to remove the radio. Can’t imagine ever turn in it on on purpose.

At some point I want to get one of those weather radios that can’t turn in AM/FM, for emergencies.
So removing the radio antenna isn't enough? I heard of dad's pulling fuses on their teen's car radios, but never heard of removing the entire radio itself. New to me.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:19 am
Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:56 pm

So removing the radio antenna isn't enough? I heard of dad's pulling fuses on their teen's car radios, but never heard of removing the entire radio itself. New to me.
Does anyone under 25 even listen to the radio anymore?

And you do realize that if there was some actual severe emergency in your area then AM/FM radio would be the likely place where information would be transmitted. Along with TV and the internet. Since vanishingly few people actually own emergency weather radios for that purpose. And in the event of an actual emergency like a flood, hurricane, tornado, or wildfire, most of the actual important information will not be meteorological. It will be about things like evacuation routes, place to take shelter. Which are not things that necessarily get broadcast by automated forecasts.
Last edited by Ken on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:21 pmDoes anyone under 25 even listen to the radio anymore?
i read that, and thought, sure i do.
then realized, oh, i'm not under 25

ugh
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

justme wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:25 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:21 pmDoes anyone under 25 even listen to the radio anymore?
i read that, and thought, sure i do.
then realized, oh, i'm not under 25

ugh
My 25 year old daughter was driving with her boyfriend across the mountains to our house last Sunday and called me from the road asking how she could get the Superbowl on the radio because they wanted to hear it. I had to explain that she just had to scan the AM radio band until she found a station that was covering it. She didn't know how to do that and didn't really even know the difference between AM or FM. I don't think she had ever actually used the radio in her car before.

There are other things that I have discovered that she doesn't really know how to do. Like write a paper check or properly address a physical letter, add the correct postage, and mail it. All things that she never actually does. Even though she has more or less been living on her own since age 18.

On the other hand, there are things she knows how to do that I don't, like Spotify and Venmo.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:19 amSo removing the radio antenna isn't enough? I heard of dad's pulling fuses on their teen's car radios, but never heard of removing the entire radio itself. New to me.
The custom was to remove the radio. The non-radio Beachys and other non-radio Mennonites around here do the same thing.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:29 pmMy 25 year old daughter ... There are other things that I have discovered that she doesn't really know how to do. Like write a paper check or properly address a physical letter, add the correct postage, and mail it. All things that she never actually does. Even though she has more or less been living on her own since age 18.

On the other hand, there are things she knows how to do that I don't, like Spotify and Venmo.
Well, District Attorney Fanni Willis (who, as she let us know, recently celebrated her 50th birthday, although her testimony to the court was that it "sucked") claims she doesn't have checks, but she is familiar with using Cashapp to pay her rent.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:21 pmAnd you do realize that if there was some actual severe emergency in your area then AM/FM radio would be the likely place where information would be transmitted. Along with TV and the internet. Since vanishingly few people actually own emergency weather radios for that purpose. And in the event of an actual emergency like a flood, hurricane, tornado, or wildfire, most of the actual important information will not be meteorological. It will be about things like evacuation routes, place to take shelter. Which are not things that necessarily get broadcast by automated forecasts.
Any emergency broadcasts will, well, be broadcast on emergency bands, which include weather bands.

See https://ema.ohio.gov/prepare-respond/te ... he,162.450
Working with the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) Emergency Alert System, the NOAA Weather Radio is an “All Hazards” radio network, making it your single source for comprehensive weather and emergency information. In conjunction with federal, state and local emergency managers and other public officials, NWR broadcasts warning and post-event information for all types of hazards – including natural (such as tornadoes or earthquakes), environmental (such as chemical releases or oil spills), and public safety (such as AMBER alerts or 911 telephone outages).
Along with TV and the internet.
In the event of an actual emergency, it is unlikely that the Internet will be reliable/working, and nowadays TV stations rely heavily on Internet-based telecommunications infrastructure, as do most radio stations. For emergency situations, a weather radio that can catch the NOAA bands would be the best choice. I'm going to assume you know this, but NOAA stations are built so that they can keep operating even in severe conditions (like power outages, natural disasters, etc.), and are redundant (most people are covered by multiple stations) and don't rely on a functional Internet.
0 x