Voting in elections, grocery store fires, plain Catholics... and a poll!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Check your favorite hotdog toppings/condiments!!

Ketchup
11%
Mustard
19%
Chili
11%
Sauerkraut
11%
Coleslaw
1%
Onions
14%
Peppers (sweet or hot)
6%
Salsa
3%
Pickle relish
14%
Other (please describe)
9%

Total votes: 79

ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Voting in elections, grocery store fires, plain Catholics... and a poll!

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:21 pm And you do realize that if there was some actual severe emergency in your area then AM/FM radio would be the likely place where information would be transmitted. Along with TV and the internet. Since vanishingly few people actually own emergency weather radios for that purpose. And in the event of an actual emergency like a flood, hurricane, tornado, or wildfire, most of the actual important information will not be meteorological. It will be about things like evacuation routes, place to take shelter. Which are not things that necessarily get broadcast by automated forecasts.
Yes, CMs are aware of that. They aren't stupid, thank you very much.

In fact, most CM youth even know how to write a letter, write a paper check, address an envelope, apply a stamp, and send the envelope via USPS. They even know how to look up phone numbers in the phone book.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

When I was young, our church very faithfully and uniformly removed radio antennas from vehicles. I don’t think we physically removed radios unless they were radio only, and not radio/cassette combo.

I currently have a 1995 Ranger that was factory ordered from Ford without any radio. The factory placed a flat piece of plastic covering where the radio went in the dash and another one covering the hole in the sheet metal where the antenna would have been.

For the most part the radios were and still are left intact and not used. Today there are many antennas on the vehicles.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: Certain channels still work on our radios, even without the antenna. We use a Bluetooth system that connects to a radio channel and sometimes, if something gets bumped, a couple of the channels will still play. As far as it goes, we almost all have smart phones, and they like to scream at us with emergency alerts, so I don’t think we’re in that much danger. I also know a lot of Mennonites with weather radios, and a bunch of the ones I know seem to be pretty weather savvy or have a relative/friend that faithfully watches the forecasts and does their duty is the community watchmen. ;)

Edit: I just saw the thing about meteorological, but I know that, at least in Oregon, they all seemed pretty up-to-date on fires and everything else like that, and it seems like those are the things everybody finds out on their phone’s emergency alert system nowadays.
Last edited by Soloist on Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Nobody stays current on the weather forecast like a farmer does.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:44 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:21 pm And you do realize that if there was some actual severe emergency in your area then AM/FM radio would be the likely place where information would be transmitted. Along with TV and the internet. Since vanishingly few people actually own emergency weather radios for that purpose. And in the event of an actual emergency like a flood, hurricane, tornado, or wildfire, most of the actual important information will not be meteorological. It will be about things like evacuation routes, place to take shelter. Which are not things that necessarily get broadcast by automated forecasts.
Yes, CMs are aware of that. They aren't stupid, thank you very much.

In fact, most CM youth even know how to write a letter, write a paper check, address an envelope, apply a stamp, and send the envelope via USPS. They even know how to look up phone numbers in the phone book.
Who is claiming that anyone is stupid? Not me.

I'm simply asking what is the point of a special radio that only receives NOAA weather radio broadcasts, which are nothing more than automated computerized text-to-speech versions of computer-generated weather information. I suppose if you are a farmer and reliant and weather forecasts and refuse to get the information any other way then there might be some utility. But it isn't even going to be the best source of information in any sort of real emergency. Actual local radio broadcasts by actual real people are going to be a far better source of information than some computerized repeating loop generated by some server in another state.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30 pm Actual local radio broadcasts by actual real people are going to be a far better source of information than some computerized repeating loop generated by some server in another state.
I should ask a local pilot if he agrees with you on that.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30 pmI'm simply asking what is the point of a special radio that only receives NOAA weather radio broadcasts, which are nothing more than automated computerized text-to-speech versions of computer-generated weather information. I suppose if you are a farmer and reliant and weather forecasts and refuse to get the information any other way then there might be some utility. But it isn't even going to be the best source of information in any sort of real emergency. Actual local radio broadcasts by actual real people are going to be a far better source of information than some computerized repeating loop generated by some server in another state.
The point is to stay connected to emergency information and be prepared for an emergency, but without accepting a device whose main purpose seems to be to funnel Britney Spears or Taylor Swift songs, or worse, country music songs about drinking or rap music about shooting people and mistreating women, talk shows promoting conspiracy theories, and blasting ads for used car dealers.

It seems quite sensible and reasonable to choose to be free of those things, but still want to stay connected to official government sources of information about emergencies.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:28 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30 pm Actual local radio broadcasts by actual real people are going to be a far better source of information than some computerized repeating loop generated by some server in another state.
You said you wanted a weather radio to tune in for EMERGENCIES not weather forecasts.

I'm simply pointing out that local media is almost certainly going to be a better source of information about local emergencies than weather radio.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:47 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30 pmI'm simply asking what is the point of a special radio that only receives NOAA weather radio broadcasts, which are nothing more than automated computerized text-to-speech versions of computer-generated weather information. I suppose if you are a farmer and reliant and weather forecasts and refuse to get the information any other way then there might be some utility. But it isn't even going to be the best source of information in any sort of real emergency. Actual local radio broadcasts by actual real people are going to be a far better source of information than some computerized repeating loop generated by some server in another state.
The point is to stay connected to emergency information and be prepared for an emergency, but without accepting a device whose main purpose seems to be to funnel Britney Spears or Taylor Swift songs, or worse, country music songs about drinking or rap music about shooting people and mistreating women, talk shows promoting conspiracy theories, and blasting ads for used car dealers.

It seems quite sensible and reasonable to choose to be free of those things, but still want to stay connected to official government sources of information about emergencies.
What you are talking about is the cold-war era National Public Warning System run by FEMA. It will interrupt all radio/TV broadcasts and send out cell phone alerts if there is some actual national emergency. You don't need a special radio for that. Assuming you trust FEMA to better know what is happening in your own locality compared to local broadcasters who will be talking to local authorities. For me the nearest FEMA office is the Region 10 office in Suburban Seattle. For you it is probably the Region 5 office in Chicago.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:12 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:28 pm
You said you wanted a weather radio to tune in for EMERGENCIES not weather forecasts.

I'm simply pointing out that local media is almost certainly going to be a better source of information about local emergencies than weather radio.
Yes, but some of us don't want to be committed to listening to local media.

The weather channels do relay emergency info beyond just Presidential Alerts sent to cell phones. They would relay, for example, information like the East Palestine disaster that happened a year ago.
0 x