Voting in elections, grocery store fires, plain Catholics... and a poll!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Check your favorite hotdog toppings/condiments!!

Ketchup
11%
Mustard
19%
Chili
11%
Sauerkraut
11%
Coleslaw
1%
Onions
14%
Peppers (sweet or hot)
6%
Salsa
3%
Pickle relish
14%
Other (please describe)
9%

Total votes: 79

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Voting in elections, grocery store fires, plain Catholics... and a poll!

Post by MaxPC »

Verity wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:53 pm Oops, pardon me. It was totally American usage ;)

Spanish also has many localized slang words that can get you into trouble. Perhaps we should compile a list of Anabaptist slang?

One humorous memory I have- some of my relatives came to visit school, comprised of all Mennonite children. At recess time the children were yelling "I'm fresh! I'm fresher!" and one little lass burst into song "I'm so happy and gay!" The looks on my relatives' faces were priceless! It took a bit of explaining... I still chuckle a bit when I hear these.
:lol: No worries, I understand completely. I simply thought I would share some of the peculiarities of the UK slang. Interestingly after decades of insisting upon the use of formal English, the old Beeb (BBC) has been featuring more and more announcers who use the informal dialects. Have even heard one use Cockney. It can be entertaining, even among the ex-pats such as myself. It seems that after the onslaught of American lingo, pride in one's own culture and dialect is re-emerging in the UK, even the more rude bits.

I have lived in the US for a half-century or so and I still have to check up on some American slang usage. Language is an ever-changing dynamic to be sure. God bless your children. Indeed I would be interested in learning some of the Anabaptist slang. Care to start a thread?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Kenya still has its own English, quite distinct from American or British English. Fascinating to listen to it.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:33 pm :lol: No worries, I understand completely. I simply thought I would share some of the peculiarities of the UK slang. Interestingly after decades of insisting upon the use of formal English, the old Beeb (BBC) has been featuring more and more announcers who use the informal dialects. Have even heard one use Cockney. It can be entertaining, even among the ex-pats such as myself. It seems that after the onslaught of American lingo, pride in one's own culture and dialect is re-emerging in the UK, even the more rude bits.

I have lived in the US for a half-century or so and I still have to check up on some American slang usage. Language is an ever-changing dynamic to be sure. God bless your children. Indeed I would be interested in learning some of the Anabaptist slang. Care to start a thread?
Do you regularly watch the BBC?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

You haven't lived until you have tried a Chilean "completo" which are the Chilean hot dogs sold everywhere in Chile and served with lots of avocado, chopped tomato, onion, and mayo. It also helps that the hot dogs themselves are better quality than here. As are the rolls.

Last edited by Ken on Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Verity, et al. A bit of Beeb Radio for fun.
BBC Radio
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:20 pm Verity, et al. A bit of Beeb Radio for fun.
BBC Radio
Ah. Like many other plain and conservative Anabaptist groups, we don’t listen to the radio. Half my cars are missing their radio since we used to physically remove them.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I voted "other".

I'll go for chili, tomatoes, provolone cheese, and potato chips.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:35 pm Ah. Like many other plain and conservative Anabaptist groups, we don’t listen to the radio. Half my cars are missing their radio since we used to physically remove them.
I remember riding with a COGICM man ~17 years ago and being impressed the group followed through on conviction to that degree. Sad to hear they dropped it. I don't have convictions against recorded music but do think a strong group conscience against it would be worth submitting to. I've seen and heard of too many shipwrecks that recordings started or fed.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

we removed ours at our prior church and never put them back. I'm pretty sure Pilgrim stands against it, but the internet based stuff is likely slipping in.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh

Post by Josh »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:49 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:35 pm Ah. Like many other plain and conservative Anabaptist groups, we don’t listen to the radio. Half my cars are missing their radio since we used to physically remove them.
I remember riding with a COGICM man ~17 years ago and being impressed the group followed through on conviction to that degree. Sad to hear they dropped it. I don't have convictions against recorded music but do think a strong group conscience against it would be worth submitting to. I've seen and heard of too many shipwrecks that recordings started or fed.
With modern cars it is more complicated to disable / remove the radio, and also basically irrelevant since you can get radio stations on your smartphone. So instead we have to choose not to listen to the radio. For a while people would unhook the antenna or unscrew it but nowadays the antenna isn’t even visible / easy to remove. In addition in many cars the GPS, etc is built into the “infotainment” system.

I strongly agree with you regarding recordings (particularly ones involving music, instruments, singing, etc.)
0 x