Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by Ernie »

Why shouldn't Christians vote in civil elections that may result in the use of force, coercion, or compromising the teachings of Jesus, or in the electing of someone who is obligated to do the same?

Please only post in this thread if you are answering the above question.

Anyone wishing to make a case for why Christians can or should vote in the sorts of situations described above, are welcome to make your case in a different thread.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by Ernie »

2024 is an election year and as usual, the pressure is on for Christians to go to the polls and vote. Historically, Anabaptists and similar groups have concluded that Christians should not be involved in civil politics.

Recently an Amish minister wept as he explained that his fellow Amish are under great pressure to vote (by those who post billboards and ads in farming papers and those who support the idea of voting as a “civic duty”). The minister’s observation was that many Amish don’t have good reasons for why Christians shouldn’t participate in civil politics. He is looking for resources that explain why Christians should not become involved in the kingdoms of this world.

Here is a link to some articles, including one from our own Dan Z. https://www.plainnews.org/2020/09/26/sh ... -leanings/

Do you know of other good articles?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

How can I possibly vote if I’m voting for the lesser of two evils?

When people speak about Hitler, a common thought is that he was voted in and people speak highly suggestive that voting for him shares responsibly for his actions. I tend to agree and in my mind, that’s why nominating members for ordaining is such an important thing that shouldn’t be flippantly done.
I can’t vote for someone can will promote abortion, Military conflict or other killing.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:21 pm Why shouldn't Christians vote in civil elections that may result in the use of force, coercion, or compromising the teachings of Jesus, or in the electing of someone who is obligated to do the same?
I believe God knows what is best and our mission as ambassadors of another country is not getting involved in worldly politics beyond 1 Tim 2:1-4
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
What has happened to me in the past when I did vote, many years ago, my attention got too focused on the temporal things in this world and it drew my attention away from eternal things. I have still other attention grabbers today but not deciding who to vote for as no earthly party represents a Kingdom way of life, imo. Some say to be so heavenly minded you are no earthly good. I disagree. If we were more heavenly minded we would be more earthly good in furthering His Kingdom.
4 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:37 pm How can I possibly vote if I’m voting for the lesser of two evils?
Mathematically speaking, the lesser of two evils means you get.....[wait for it]...... Less Evil.

Alternatively, there is no human on the planet who is completely free of evil or sin. That is a fundamental tenet of Christianity. So it would be impossible to find a candidate who is free of all sin (or evil).

If you don't want to vote, don't vote. That is your right. I'm just suggesting that the "lessor of two evils" argument is not a very good one for not voting.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:32 pm
Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:37 pm How can I possibly vote if I’m voting for the lesser of two evils?
Mathematically speaking, the lesser of two evils means you get.....[wait for it]...... Less Evil.
Mathematics starting with two negatives become a positive. Whereas two negatives in reality remain negatives.
I would’ve assumed being a teacher you would understand mathematics limited application to reality
If your choice was Hitler versus Mussolini, which one would you vote for? Mussolini did less evil right?

Besides which one is less evil in these elections? Both sides claimed their candidate is. Both do evil, quantifying which one is worse is not something I want spend time doing.
Ultimately Though, I cannot vote for evil.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:38 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:32 pm
Mathematics starting with two negatives become a positive. Whereas two negatives in reality remain negatives.
I would’ve assumed being a teacher you would understand mathematics limited application to reality
If your choice was Hitler versus Mussolini, which one would you vote for? Mussolini did less evil right?

Besides which one is less evil in these elections? Both sides claimed their candidate is. Both do evil, quantifying which one is worse is not something I want spend time doing.
Ultimately Though, I cannot vote for evil.
Mathematically you aren't picking both candidates and adding them together in an election. You are choosing between candidate A who you might determine has an evil rating of -5 and candidate B who you might determine has an evil rating of -2 and deciding that -2 is less evil or less negative than -5.

In the cases of both Hitler and Mussolini, neither of them gained power through elections. Hitler seized power through coups and burning the Reichstag after winning 37% of the vote in 1932 which was the last free election in Germany until the post-war period. Mussolini rose to power through what was essentially a coup in 1922 after the fascists in a coalition with other conservative parties only gained about 19% of the vote in 1921.

Every time you make any selection between people for any reason, whether it is job applicants, ministers, or elected leaders. You are choosing between people who have both good and bad in them. As do all of us. So you are trying to determine which candidate is better on balance.

Vote or don't vote. I don't care one way or the other. I'm just pointing out the fallacy of the "lesser of two evils" argument that I hear all the time. One could make that argument about any two people you are choosing between for any reason at all. And yet you still have a choice to make.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:32 pm I'm just suggesting that the "lessor of two evils" argument is not a very good one for not voting.
Voting for the lessor of two evils would be compromising your tenants. But I think this argument belongs in the Housing thread.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I can offer the oral history of my people in Virginia. As was told to me, many Mennonites voted in the 1860 election. They opposed both slavery and war/rebellion as sinful, so it seemed obvious to vote Lincoln. What they got was a destructive war that burned their houses, barns and mills, took their live stock and food stores, killed their neighboring men and made them outlaws in their own land for refusing the draft. In the aftermath they were forced to face their neighbors with missing men as the people who supported/voted for the invading forces and refused to raise a hand in defense. Some fled north never to return.

If I were descended from enslaved people who benefitted from the war, maybe their decision to vote Republican in 1860 would seem more heroic than a mistake but the result was a deep suspicion that voting is a dangerous entanglement in the affairs of this world. I still carry that to this day.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:05 pm I can offer the oral history of my people in Virginia. As was told to me, many Mennonites voted in the 1860 election. They opposed both slavery and war/rebellion as sinful, so it seemed obvious to vote Lincoln. What they got was a destructive war that burned their houses, barns and mills, took their live stock and food stores, killed their neighboring men and made them outlaws in their own land for refusing the draft. In the aftermath they were forced to face their neighbors with missing men as the people who supported/voted for the invading forces and refused to raise a hand in defense. Some fled north never to return.

If I were descended from enslaved people who benefitted from the war, maybe their decision to vote Republican in 1860 would seem more heroic than a mistake but the result was a deep suspicion that voting is a dangerous entanglement in the affairs of this world. I still carry that to this day.
I have heard some interesting discussions in mixed-race classrooms in Texas about who won the Civil War: "We" or "They"

In any event, Virginians voting for Lincoln didn't bring on the Civil War. Virginians voting for secession brought on the war. Which Virginians did in a statewide referendum on May 23, 1861. Some parts of the state had sense enough to vote against secession and gave us West Virginia.
0 x