Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by gcdonner »

So...if you vote...how do you know God's will in whom you should vote for? Do y'all claim to know the mind of God?
My personal feeling is that these last years have been in God's will for our country, most likely not the choice of most on this forum.
It would be an interesting poll to see how many voters here voted for Biden and how many for Trump.
Another thing to consider, if the person you vote for doesn't win, does that mean that you voted AGAINST the will of God? Or perhaps you figure God doesn't care 2 hoots about our elections and government...
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

gcdonner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:15 pm So...if you vote...how do you know God's will in whom you should vote for? Do y'all claim to know the mind of God?
My personal feeling is that these last years have been in God's will for our country, most likely not the choice of most on this forum.
It would be an interesting poll to see how many voters here voted for Biden and how many for Trump.
Another thing to consider, if the person you vote for doesn't win, does that mean that you voted AGAINST the will of God? Or perhaps you figure God doesn't care 2 hoots about our elections and government...
That really should be a thread of its own. We could go pretty far down that rabbit hole!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:19 pm
gcdonner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:15 pm So...if you vote...how do you know God's will in whom you should vote for? Do y'all claim to know the mind of God?
That really should be a thread of its own. We could go pretty far down that rabbit hole!
Such as - if I vote for Joe Biden and Donald Trump wins the election - did God lose the election or did I vote against God?

(OK Grace, yes I know you would tell me I voted against God if I did something like that...)
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 am Continuing ...

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Instead of looking at just 2 Timothy 2:4-7, it is probably best to start at the beginning of the chapter for context.
You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. 3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. 5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. 6 The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
This is about Christian leaders keeping their heads down and not getting distracted by worldly things, being willing to put up with suffering, etc. Analogies of soldiers, athletes, and farmers are used.

I can see that some Christians would decide that worldly politics is such a distraction that they won't be caught up with politics day after day. Sometimes it feels like politics is the true religion of the United States. Joining parties, declaring political loyalties, etc. is a real temptation. The bigger temptation is to see everything through a political frame. If not voting allows people to disengage from all that, I think that's a good thing.

In practice, though, some of the people who encourage me not to vote seem to be just as caught up in all of that. And I think what we do 365 days a year is the primary thing to focus on. If not voting is helpful, great. But I don't think this passage would preclude Christians from voting.
However it does not encourage, nor suggest voting. I wouldn't use it as a support for political involvement in any way.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm
Such as - if I vote for Joe Biden and Donald Trump wins the election - did God lose the election or did I vote against God?

(OK Grace, yes I know you would tell me I voted against God if I did something like that...)
God has NEVER lost an election...if you believe in his sovereignty...
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

How is that different from any other decision we make in daily life? I make many decisions where I do not fully know the mind of God.
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm Such as - if I vote for Joe Biden and Donald Trump wins the election - did God lose the election or did I vote against God?
If someone thinks God is calling them to a particular ministry or a particular line of work, and it doesn't work out, or if a Christian gets sick while young, how do you know exactly what God's mind was in that situation?

If you feel called to help someone, and you find that person goes deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole, how do you know for sure what God wanted?

I'm not convinced we always know for sure.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

gcdonner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:24 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:50 am I can see that some Christians would decide that worldly politics is such a distraction that they won't be caught up with politics day after day. Sometimes it feels like politics is the true religion of the United States. Joining parties, declaring political loyalties, etc. is a real temptation. The bigger temptation is to see everything through a political frame. If not voting allows people to disengage from all that, I think that's a good thing.

In practice, though, some of the people who encourage me not to vote seem to be just as caught up in all of that. And I think what we do 365 days a year is the primary thing to focus on. If not voting is helpful, great. But I don't think this passage would preclude Christians from voting.
However it does not encourage, nor suggest voting. I wouldn't use it as a support for political involvement in any way.
I don't think this passage tells us to vote. I don't think it tells us not to vote.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

I strongly agree with this conclusion. We should all be praying along these lines, I think. Maybe we need to pray three times for every post where we voice a political opinion ...

https://www.plainnews.org/2020/09/26/sh ... -leanings/
As followers of Jesus, we can pray for more kindness between neighbors. We can pray for less violence - locally and abroad. We can pray that God will raise up leaders with greater integrity. We can pray for justice for the poor and dispossessed. We can pray for a diminishing of greed and graft. We can pray for the care and protection of children. We can pray that fewer infants will be aborted. We can pray that the strangers and foreigners in our country will be welcomed, respected, and loved. We can pray for equity for all peoples, economic well-being for all, and good healthcare for everyone. We can pray that people will better care for the God's earth. We can pray for harmony and sharing between nations, greater peace, and ultimately that people will see Jesus for who He is.

Let's join together in bringing these requests to God's throne!
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

gcdonner wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:27 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm

God has NEVER lost an election...if you believe in his sovereignty...
God doesn't vote. He gives us free will to make our own choices individually and collectively.

Life is a series of individual and collective choices. God can give us guidance, but he doesn't make our choices for us.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Grace wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:15 am
joshuabgood wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:49 pm If I believed in the political systems of the worldly kingdoms with regard to their ability to bring salvation on earth as also in heaven, I would vote. But I don't, so I don't.
Yet the "worldly" system we are living under in this country, gives us the freedom to have the ability to bring the message of salvation to the multitudes without being harmed or imprisoned. The "worldly" system here in United States allows everyone to freely practice our faith, and it allows you the freedom to be a great superintendent of a Christian School. It allows Christian parents to provide a Christian education for their children. That is more than can be said for millions of Christians world wide.

When all the school board members worked with the local municipality (part of that "worldly" kingdom) to build a much needed new Mennonite School, were they pleased that in the past there were elected men and women who made ordinances to allow the school plans to move forward? And even though that local governing body "Worldly kingdom" cannot "bring salvation", that "worldly kingdom" has allowed the school to widen the scope in reaching young impressionable minds to the plan of salvation and teach them Biblical principles.

I do not view our nation as a Christian nation. However I find it hard to believe that when our government was founded, God had nothing to do with the fact that it was set up based on some biblical principles. I also find it hard to believe that when the government was set up back in 1776, that the Lord's hand was not in the fact it was set up as a representative Republic, giving the people the right to decide on issues based on voting.

This post is not to discredit what you said, just something I have often thought about when it comes to the issue of voting. Also I am not promoting the act of voting. Everyone needs to decide that for themselves.
I understand your point. And I don't see voting as a "moral' issue. I usually just say I advocate against it. I am grateful for the lived experiences I have had, many of which, came as a result of being located in the geopolitical state that I am.
0 x