Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:21 pm
Please only post in this thread if you are answering the above question.
If you are going to complain and argue about politics, make sure you voted. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Discussing politics (without getting emotional) is a different story, and yes there is a difference.
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:32 pm I'm just suggesting that the "lessor of two evils" argument is not a very good one for not voting.
Maybe not from your worldview, pragmatism is a strong argument. But I am arguing from an impractical worldview that hinges on the present reality of Jesus and his plans for the future. In this world overcoming evil done by faithfulness, the power of God and "to keep unspotted from the world." From this perspective loosing means being drawn in and compromised by evil.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 am
If you are going to complain and argue about politics, make sure you voted. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Discussing politics (without getting emotional) is a different story, and yes there is a difference.
That’s sort of like saying you can’t complain about a football game unless you bought a ticket and cheered in the stands.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:22 am

That’s sort of like saying you can’t complain about a football game unless you bought a ticket and cheered in the stands.
But you didn't play in the football game :mrgreen:
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

No, not the same. Would be like complaining about a football game if you are against watching football at all.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Agreed. I see all the anti-vote talk but by the same people, a great deal of interest, discussion, focus, research, & time spent on it. Makes no sense.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:21 am

No, not the same. Would be like complaining about a football game if you are against watching football at all.
Or complaining which team won…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This also presupposes voting makes any difference. (It doesn’t). None of our votes here make any difference now, or in eternity. None at all.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Sadly, but not surprised, there has been absolutely no biblical reason for not voting or for voting either for that matter. I miss the days when these discussions centered around what God's word says and not our miniscule opinions.
Php_3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Php 3:20 For our citizenship is in heaven; from which also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ:
(AMP)  But we are citizens of the state (commonwealth, homeland) which is in heaven, and from it also we earnestly and patiently await [the coming of] the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) [as] Savior,
And to put it more succinctly:
(JMNT)  For our citizenship (result of living in a free city; or: commonwealth -- realm of a free city; political realm) continues inherently existing (continuously subsists; repeatedly has its under-beginning) resident within the midst of [the] heavens, from out of where (which place) we continuously receive (take away with the hands) forth from out of [the] Lord, Jesus Christ,
(Murdock)  But our concern is with heaven; and from thence we expect our Vivifier, our Lord, Jesus the Messiah;
The word translated variously as conversation or citizenship is políteuma from which our word for politics is derived.
My citizenship/politics are spiritual, not carnal, therefore I do not vote in the carnal elections of our present evil world. We have lost our Christian worldview and traded it for a mess of fleshly pottage, including, I fear, many of our discussions here on this forum.

There, I said it, now I will crawl back into my hole.
4 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Excellent challenge, Brother.
0 x