Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:23 am
Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:07 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:06 am I personally think a bigger deal is made over stuff like this than we really need to make of it.

Can we instead concentrate on love and compassion for one another? Instead of "you can't be a Christian and vote in elections!"
But what if it actually is a big deal?
gcdonner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm Sadly, but not surprised, there has been absolutely no biblical reason for not voting or for voting either for that matter. I miss the days when these discussions centered around what God's word says and not our miniscule opinions.
^^^What he said. If it is not spelled out in scripture, it is an opinion or preference. "Nuff said.
That’s a fundamentalist point of view, and whilst you’re welcome to hold it, most Anabaptists are not fundamentalists (although a sizeable amount are).

The scriptures don’t “spell out” that it’s wrong to sit at home and shoot up heroin, yet I think it’s obvious a Christian shouldn’t do that.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:37 pm How can I possibly vote if I’m voting for the lesser of two evils?

When people speak about Hitler, a common thought is that he was voted in and people speak highly suggestive that voting for him shares responsibly for his actions. I tend to agree and in my mind, that’s why nominating members for ordaining is such an important thing that shouldn’t be flippantly done.
In 1932, a German could have voted for Paul von Hindenburg, who won, or for Hitler or Ernst Thälmann. Given the choice, I would have voted for Paul von Hindenburg because I think the other two choices were much worse.

In the end, it was Hindenburg who appointed Hitler as Chancellor, so he did not stop Hitler from gaining power. But I still think I would have voted against Hitler. Why would that have been wrong?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
barnhart

Post by barnhart »

gcdonner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm Sadly, but not surprised, there has been absolutely no biblical reason for not voting or for voting either for that matter. I miss the days when these discussions centered around what God's word says and not our miniscule opinion...
...We have lost our Christian worldview and traded it for a mess of fleshly pottage, including, I fear, many of our discussions here on this forum...
GCDonner, I would urge you to read the links Ernie provided at the start. I merely skimmed and found each one full of Biblical arguments. I also noticed Biblical arguments upstream from this post. Maybe it would help if I attach the references to them.
1. Reticence to join hands with people or movements that might do evil. - 1Tim 5:22
2. Commitment to our calling as ambassadors to the kingdoms of this world, not citizens of them. 1Tim 2:1-4
3. Concern over becoming entangled in the affairs of this world. 2Tim 2:4-7
4. Concern over contamination with worldly ideas of power and influence. James 1:27

These are only the ones I noticed up to your post, there are likely more and plenty more follow.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Bootstrap wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:06 am
In 1932, a German could have voted for Paul von Hindenburg, who won, or for Hitler or Ernst Thälmann. Given the choice, I would have voted for Paul von Hindenburg because I think the other two choices were much worse.

In the end, it was Hindenburg who appointed Hitler as Chancellor, so he did not stop Hitler from gaining power. But I still think I would have voted against Hitler. Why would that have been wrong?
From what I understand Hitler’s party was voted to the majority and it was customary to appoint Hitler.

Would voting against Hitler have changed the outcome?
You don’t vote for Hitler, instead you voted in the guy who appointed Hitler.
Next, you don’t know the outcome of Hitler and the length he went at that time you voted.

Your guy you voted in then proceeded to enable Hitler’s agenda and implement what Hitler wants. Not only that, your guy dissolved their lower house and basically had served as a defacto dictator during WW1.
Would you really have voted for him? Hitler campaigned on good things or at least what appeared good things.

Reagan was a very popular candidate for the Christian Right at the time, yet according to what I’ve heard, most of the “good” changes he made received such backlash that the next president undid them and made things worse or better depending on political leanings.

You are highly educated and have advantages of historical record you would not have had back then.
The average person then who wanted to learn what the candidates believed to make an educated choice could do what? Listen to campaign speeches, read historical record if they had access to it… they had less access to research then you do today.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:07 am
gcdonner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm Sadly, but not surprised, there has been absolutely no biblical reason for not voting or for voting either for that matter. I miss the days when these discussions centered around what God's word says and not our miniscule opinion...
...We have lost our Christian worldview and traded it for a mess of fleshly pottage, including, I fear, many of our discussions here on this forum...
GCDonner, I would urge you to read the links Ernie provided at the start. I merely skimmed and found each one full of Biblical arguments. I also noticed Biblical arguments upstream from this post. Maybe it would help if I attach the references to them.
1. Reticence to join hands with people or movements that might do evil. - 1Tim 5:22
2. Commitment to our calling as ambassadors to the kingdoms of this world, not citizens of them. 1Tim 2:1-4
3. Concern over becoming entangled in the affairs of this world. 2Tim 2:4-7
4. Concern over contamination with worldly ideas of power and influence. James 1:27

These are only the ones I noticed up to your post, there are likely more and plenty more follow.
I put those Scriptures into a list here for easy reference:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV

Let me look at them one at a time ...

1 Tim 5:22 is an admonition to go slow when appointing Christian leaders in the church. I don't think it is saying we should not appoint leaders in the church. It also warns us to avoid the sins of others in the church. I don't think it is saying anything at all about how secular leaders are chosen. Can you say more about how you apply it in that setting?
Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Continuing ...

1 Tim 2:1-4 says specifically that we should pray for leaders and those in authority. It says that what they do matters for the way we live out our lives as Christians. At the very least, spending this time in prayer for them is extremely biblical. I don't see that this verse would preclude voting, can you say more about that?
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Continuing ...

Instead of looking at just 2 Timothy 2:4-7, it is probably best to start at the beginning of the chapter for context.
You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. 3 Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer. 5 Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules. 6 The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
This is about Christian leaders keeping their heads down and not getting distracted by worldly things, being willing to put up with suffering, etc. Analogies of soldiers, athletes, and farmers are used.

I can see that some Christians would decide that worldly politics is such a distraction that they won't be caught up with politics day after day. Sometimes it feels like politics is the true religion of the United States. Joining parties, declaring political loyalties, etc. is a real temptation. The bigger temptation is to see everything through a political frame. If not voting allows people to disengage from all that, I think that's a good thing.

In practice, though, some of the people who encourage me not to vote seem to be just as caught up in all of that. And I think what we do 365 days a year is the primary thing to focus on. If not voting is helpful, great. But I don't think this passage would preclude Christians from voting.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Continuing ...

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
This passage is about looking deeply into Scripture and putting it into practice. Serving others (look after orphans and widows in their distress) and remaining holy (keep oneself from being polluted by the world) are both really important.

I'm not sure it's clear how this should be applied to voting. Suppose a political party was whipping up resentment against doing things to help widows and orphans - would it be wrong to vote against them, or to speak against those policies? Hitler's issues with Jews and general disposition towards hate was quite apparent at the time - would it be wrong for a Christian to vote against him?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Let me be clear about one thing: I have no problem with people choosing not to vote as an application of their faith. But I'm not convinced that these Scriptures clearly lead to the conclusion that no Christian should vote.

And I strongly feel that it's what we do 365 days a year that really matters most.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Grace wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:06 am I personally think a bigger deal is made over stuff like this than we really need to make of it.

Can we instead concentrate on love and compassion for one another? Instead of "you can't be a Christian and vote in elections!"
Agreed 100% :clap:
Does it have to be either/or? I suggest steve-in-kville, that it should be both/and. Many of our discussions on these things come from the mantra to "Love thy neighbor as thyself". Someone very unpopular in his day said that...I think.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth