Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Why shouldn't Christians vote in elections.... ?

Post by MaxPC »

A few of my random reasons to avoid the polls:
Mark 12:17
Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.”
Deductively speaking, does my allegiance belong to Caesar, therefore my vote? Or does it belong to God?

Sudsy’s thoughts resonate with my own.
Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:55 pm
I believe God knows what is best and our mission as ambassadors of another country is not getting involved in worldly politics beyond 1 Tim 2:1-4
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
What has happened to me in the past when I did vote, many years ago, my attention got too focused on the temporal things in this world and it drew my attention away from eternal things. I have still other attention grabbers today but not deciding who to vote for as no earthly party represents a Kingdom way of life, imo.
When I observe these major election years, they remind me of the fever pitch emotions of the Super Bowl game as people push for their team to win.

In my experiences it is the fidelity of Jesus’ followers who bring leavening and light to a nation; not the sloganeering of political parties. Likewise my thoughts resonate with GCDonner’s:
gcdonner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm Sadly, but not surprised, there has been absolutely no biblical reason for not voting or for voting either for that matter. I miss the days when these discussions centered around what God's word says and not our miniscule opinions.
Php_3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Php 3:20 For our citizenship is in heaven; from which also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ:
(AMP)  But we are citizens of the state (commonwealth, homeland) which is in heaven, and from it also we earnestly and patiently await [the coming of] the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) [as] Savior,
And to put it more succinctly:
(JMNT)  For our citizenship (result of living in a free city; or: commonwealth -- realm of a free city; political realm) continues inherently existing (continuously subsists; repeatedly has its under-beginning) resident within the midst of [the] heavens, from out of where (which place) we continuously receive (take away with the hands) forth from out of [the] Lord, Jesus Christ,
(Murdock)  But our concern is with heaven; and from thence we expect our Vivifier, our Lord, Jesus the Messiah;
The word translated variously as conversation or citizenship is políteuma from which our word for politics is derived.
My citizenship/politics are spiritual, not carnal, therefore I do not vote in the carnal elections of our present evil world. We have lost our Christian worldview and traded it for a mess of fleshly pottage, including, I fear, many of our discussions here on this forum.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

If I believed in the political systems of the worldly kingdoms with regard to their ability to bring salvation on earth as also in heaven, I would vote. But I don't, so I don't.
2 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:57 pm A few of my random reasons to avoid the polls:
Mark 12:17
Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.”
Deductively speaking, does my allegiance belong to Caesar, therefore my vote? Or does it belong to God?

Sudsy’s thoughts resonate with my own.
Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:55 pm
I believe God knows what is best and our mission as ambassadors of another country is not getting involved in worldly politics beyond 1 Tim 2:1-4
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
What has happened to me in the past when I did vote, many years ago, my attention got too focused on the temporal things in this world and it drew my attention away from eternal things. I have still other attention grabbers today but not deciding who to vote for as no earthly party represents a Kingdom way of life, imo.
When I observe these major election years, they remind me of the fever pitch emotions of the Super Bowl game as people push for their team to win.

In my experiences it is the fidelity of Jesus’ followers who bring leavening and light to a nation; not the sloganeering of political parties. Likewise my thoughts resonate with GCDonner’s:
gcdonner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm Sadly, but not surprised, there has been absolutely no biblical reason for not voting or for voting either for that matter. I miss the days when these discussions centered around what God's word says and not our miniscule opinions.
Php_3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
Php 3:20 For our citizenship is in heaven; from which also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ:
(AMP)  But we are citizens of the state (commonwealth, homeland) which is in heaven, and from it also we earnestly and patiently await [the coming of] the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) [as] Savior,
And to put it more succinctly:
(JMNT)  For our citizenship (result of living in a free city; or: commonwealth -- realm of a free city; political realm) continues inherently existing (continuously subsists; repeatedly has its under-beginning) resident within the midst of [the] heavens, from out of where (which place) we continuously receive (take away with the hands) forth from out of [the] Lord, Jesus Christ,
(Murdock)  But our concern is with heaven; and from thence we expect our Vivifier, our Lord, Jesus the Messiah;
The word translated variously as conversation or citizenship is políteuma from which our word for politics is derived.
My citizenship/politics are spiritual, not carnal, therefore I do not vote in the carnal elections of our present evil world. We have lost our Christian worldview and traded it for a mess of fleshly pottage, including, I fear, many of our discussions here on this forum.
Thanks Max for bringing more biblical clarity to this issue.
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The standard Catholic position is that voting is a good thing and that Catholics should vote, see, for example, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ statement on it:

https://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action ... insert.pdf

“Catholics Care. Catholics Vote.”

The conservative/plain Anabaptist position is quite different. We feel Jesus didn’t try to upset the politics of his day, so neither should we.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ernie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:26 pm 2024 is an election year and as usual, the pressure is on for Christians to go to the polls and vote. Historically, Anabaptists and similar groups have concluded that Christians should not be involved in civil politics.

That is not completely true. Historically The men in conservative Mennonite churches voted according to John Ruth's book, "The Earth is the Lords". Here in Pennsylvania, before the compulsory School Law was enforced , conservative Mennonite Men served on their local one room school boards. Those positions were elected positions and voted in by the public. They usually ran as Republicans. Many school boards here in Lancaster County had at least one conservative Mennonite man on their board.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I personally think a bigger deal is made over stuff like this than we really need to make of it.

Can we instead concentrate on love and compassion for one another? Instead of "you can't be a Christian and vote in elections!"
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:06 am I personally think a bigger deal is made over stuff like this than we really need to make of it.

Can we instead concentrate on love and compassion for one another? Instead of "you can't be a Christian and vote in elections!"
But what if it actually is a big deal?
0 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

joshuabgood wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:49 pm If I believed in the political systems of the worldly kingdoms with regard to their ability to bring salvation on earth as also in heaven, I would vote. But I don't, so I don't.
Yet the "worldly" system we are living under in this country, gives us the freedom to have the ability to bring the message of salvation to the multitudes without being harmed or imprisoned. The "worldly" system here in United States allows everyone to freely practice our faith, and it allows you the freedom to be a great superintendent of a Christian School. It allows Christian parents to provide a Christian education for their children. That is more than can be said for millions of Christians world wide.

When all the school board members worked with the local municipality (part of that "worldly" kingdom) to build a much needed new Mennonite School, were they pleased that in the past there were elected men and women who made ordinances to allow the school plans to move forward? And even though that local governing body "Worldly kingdom" cannot "bring salvation", that "worldly kingdom" has allowed the school to widen the scope in reaching young impressionable minds to the plan of salvation and teach them Biblical principles.

I do not view our nation as a Christian nation. However I find it hard to believe that when our government was founded, God had nothing to do with the fact that it was set up based on some biblical principles. I also find it hard to believe that when the government was set up back in 1776, that the Lord's hand was not in the fact it was set up as a representative Republic, giving the people the right to decide on issues based on voting.

This post is not to discredit what you said, just something I have often thought about when it comes to the issue of voting. Also I am not promoting the act of voting. Everyone needs to decide that for themselves.
Last edited by Grace on Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:06 am I personally think a bigger deal is made over stuff like this than we really need to make of it.

Agreed 100% :clap:
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:07 am

But what if it actually is a big deal?
^^^What he said. If it is not spelled out in scripture, it is an opinion or preference. "Nuff said.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!