Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Post by JayP »

The issue with this conversation I the definitions are both too vague and too broad.

The variation of practices nd standards are just too wide a spectrum based on the variety of churches you all represent.

For example, some of you claim membership is churches you consider anabaptist. And talking about golf.

Would folks in say Eastern play golf? LOL. You do not play games like golf or attend work related golf outings.
So, how do you meaningfully discuss this? Indeed, no offense, but the folks in say Eastern do NOT really consider those of you in rches real anabaptists.

I do not mean that meanly. I have pulled back from significant contributions at this site because it’s just an incredibly variety of folks talking broadly. If you find that helpful good. I do not.

What makes it hard for seekers to succeed (from both the church’s role and the seeker’s role) is quite different in say Eastern vs. KMF
Or Horning,or Weaverland, etc. hey, I could not remotely consider joining my friends in the old order Mennonite church simply because I could not live or function horse and buggy. A real issue that has no religious significance.

It is complicated and simple. And few of you have standing in your group , if indeed you are a formal member of a group (which some or many are not it appears) to influence any changes.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The definition of plain/conservative Anabaptist is not vague or ill defined. See Cory Anderson’s “Who Are The Plain Anabaptists” in the early volumes of JAPAS for a good definition, and the one I use.

JayP, with respect, the plain Anabaptist world is a lot bigger than just Easternism. Most people in my church would question the spirituality of Easterns. Easterns would likewise probably not consider my church to be Christian at all.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JayP wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:42 am The issue with this conversation I the definitions are both too vague and too broad.

The variation of practices nd standards are just too wide a spectrum based on the variety of churches you all represent.

For example, some of you claim membership is churches you consider anabaptist. And talking about golf.

Would folks in say Eastern play golf? LOL. You do not play games like golf or attend work related golf outings.
So, how do you meaningfully discuss this? Indeed, no offense, but the folks in say Eastern do NOT really consider those of you in rches real anabaptists.

I do not mean that meanly. I have pulled back from significant contributions at this site because it’s just an incredibly variety of folks talking broadly. If you find that helpful good. I do not.

What makes it hard for seekers to succeed (from both the church’s role and the seeker’s role) is quite different in say Eastern vs. KMF
Or Horning,or Weaverland, etc. hey, I could not remotely consider joining my friends in the old order Mennonite church simply because I could not live or function horse and buggy. A real issue that has no religious significance.

It is complicated and simple. And few of you have standing in your group , if indeed you are a formal member of a group (which some or many are not it appears) to influence any changes.
I definitely have “standing “ in my group, I have been a member for quite awhile. And I have sang right next to Eastern people, received help from some of their deacons in modifying a program to make it suitable for Maryland. They have been very helpful and frank in their input. Their publishing house has been helpful as well.

So, at the very least, we consider each other brothers. The difference in application does limit the areas where we could cooperate, but if traveling I would not hesitate to find fellowship there on Sunday morning.
1 x
:hug:
JayP

Post by JayP »

You are willfully avoiding my point.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:34 pm You are willfully avoiding my point.
What is it?
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

You would not consider “plain” and playing golf as an oxymoron?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:01 am You would not consider “plain” and playing golf as an oxymoron?
More conservative groups would say this. Less-conservative groups would not, and would question where in the New Testament it says anything is wrong with playing golf.

Interestingly, Eastern type of folks would be likely to say they don't see anyone who is a Christian (or a plain Christian) could play golf with a good conscience. They sincerely believe this.
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

I am not a member of Eastern nor a defender of their positions.
I do however hold to the view that their position of separation and non-resistance is fundamental to Anabaptist thought.

I do think there is merit, note I said merit, not across the board they are “right”, that most more liberal Mennonite groups are on the road to liberal mainstream evangelical Protestantism.

FWIIW, I play golf. I would not belong to a country club type setting ever ( i.e. what I can afford is irrelevant) under any circumstance.
But who am I. I view liberal Mennonites (I mean such as general conference) as far worse than mainstream Protestants! L
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

JayP wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:36 am I am not a member of Eastern nor a defender of their positions.
I do however hold to the view that their position of separation and non-resistance is fundamental to Anabaptist thought.

I do think there is merit, note I said merit, not across the board they are “right”, that most more liberal Mennonite groups are on the road to liberal mainstream evangelical Protestantism.

FWIIW, I play golf. I would not belong to a country club type setting ever ( i.e. what I can afford is irrelevant) under any circumstance.
But who am I. I view liberal Mennonites (I mean such as general conference) as far worse than mainstream Protestants! L
:shock: What you play golf !!! Did Jesus ever play golf ??? Just kidding.

I have played golf most of my life. What I believe Jesus demonstrated is that we can be very active in this world, living amongst sinners, something the Pharisees thought was not right, and still be separate from the world. The problem with some of the more 'conservative' Christians in various faith groups, imo, is that they treat separation from the world more as isolation from the world. Something that Jesus did not practise but was often questioned about. Jesus, our example, mingled with sinners and if we are to lead them to the Saviour, we, too, will mingle with sinners. Not to participate in their sinning but rather to be an ambassador of the Kingdom and willing to 'get our hands dirty', so to speak.

What would keep me from considering some Anabaptist fellowships is their isolation and non-involvement with the world.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:00 pm What would keep me from considering some Anabaptist fellowships is their isolation and non-involvement with the world.
I seem to recall, perhaps incorrectly, that Ernie created a chart that showed the spectrum of various fellowships regarding their level of separation from the secular pursuits. Those groups who eschew all secular pursuits and practices were on one end and those who do not ban secular activities on the other with all manner of degree in-between.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God