Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Post by MaxPC »

What are some of the impediments that prevent a seeker from admission to an Anabaptist fellowship?
Negative speech and insults?
Cynicism?
Refusal to obey the tenets of the group?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Impediments to membership in an Anabaptist fellowship

Post by Josh »

A very big reason is not having a personal salvation experience of having accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Refusing believer's baptism if they were baptized as an infant.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

In some groups, rejection of baptism as a believer (regardless of age at the time of any previous baptism rite which preceded a personal faith in Jesus, the Christ of God, the One Way of salvation).
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I think the term 'Anabaptist fellowship' covers quite a range of specific requirements found in Anabaptist fellowships as the more 'liberal' labelled kind are quite different in many ways from the 'conservative' labelled kinds in what could be an impediment to membership.

In the MB church I attended those who wanted to be official members were required to take a couple membership classes, testify at their immersion baptism of being born again and desiring to follow Christ but regarding how they lived their lives as a Christian this was mainly not defined in any detail and there was little, if any, discipline on members who had varying degrees of sanctification. I think the basic belief is that God works in the heart of new believers via the Holy Spirit and we should allow Him to do His work rather than creating a list of specifics that must be adhere to. These 'lists' I think are viewed as possibly slipping into 'legalism'.

Their emphasis is on being born again and reaching out to the lost rather than focusing on ways of being different from the world. That is what attracted me to the MBs over other Anabaptists, which in our area, other Anabaptists are Mennonite and are almost purely of the same ethnic background. This, itself, imo, is a major impediment to growing membership in many Anabaptist Mennonite churches.

So, if I was to pick one major impediment, in Anabaptist churches in our area, which are all some type of Mennonite, it would be the ethnic thing. They basically grow through having large families.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Elmer
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by Elmer »

The only way into most conservative Anabaptist churches is a testimony of being born again and having a relationship with Jesus. If they have been baptized as believers, they are simply added upon confession of faith. If they have not been baptized as a believer, they are baptized. Often there are instruction classes (which detail the church's doctrines and practices) before joining.

Further, they are expected to be in general agreement and keeping with the Brotherhood Agreement/Rules & Discipline/Church Standards. If they are not in line with the practices or beliefs of the church they wish to join, they will not be permitted to join. They are expected to keep the Brotherhood Agreement as long as they are a part of that church.
4 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:39 am What are some of the impediments that prevent a seeker from admission to an Anabaptist fellowship?
Cynicism?
Some things I have compiled.

https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... urches.pdf
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:39 am What are some of the impediments that prevent a seeker from admission to an Anabaptist fellowship?
Cynicism?
To clarify, are we looking for things that would keep a seeker from applying for membership? Or things that leadership would deny membership?

I can go both ways.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:25 am
Cynicism?
To clarify, are we looking for things that would keep a seeker from applying for membership? Or things that leadership would deny membership?

I can go both ways.
I am open to both, Steve.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:36 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:25 am
Cynicism?

I can go both ways.
I am open to both, Steve.
As far as folks being denied membership, I've seen some strange stuff:

A person's occupation (OTR truck driver).
Economic status (didn't have health insurance).
Admitted to struggling with mental health issues (viewed as a liability).
Pedigree (couldn't vouch for a person).
Being a transplant (leadership was afraid they would get a "following" due to testimony).
I'm sure I have more later.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!