The Anabaptist perception on Psalms 144:1!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The Anabaptist perception on Psalms 144:1!

Post by steve-in-kville »

144 Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

As most times, I have no agenda here. But I do ask we keep the politics out of it. This came up in another forum and picked my interest.

Comment & discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: The Anabaptist perception on Psalms 144:1!

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:15 am 144 Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

As most times, I have no agenda here. But I do ask we keep the politics out of it. This came up in another forum and picked my interest.

Comment & discuss.
Excellent thread. My thought for context: David is considered the author of the Psalms. He was called as a warrior, first to fight Goliath, then to deal with hostile enemies of Israel.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

God will give us power to do what he asks of us, just as He did David.

Patriotic “Christianity” seems to loves little more than pulling Old Testament verses to support their love of killing people.
Now, compare with verses in the New Testament about hands:

Ephesians 4:28: "Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth."

1 Thessalonians 4:11: "And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you."

1 Timothy 2:8: "I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

1 Timothy 5:10: "Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work."

Strange how these dispensationalists are so friendly towards King David’s era, skip over Matthew 5-7 era, and look forward to the violence of the Revelation era.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Like many things in the old covenant, it applies to us in a spiritual sense rather than physically. The new covenant gives us a different kind of arms (the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, physical, human). Our hands war in a more effective way.

The arm of flesh will fail you,
ye dare not trust your own.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited