Will the Old Orders who raise tobacco start raising marijuana?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Re: Will the Old Orders who raise tobacco start raising marijuana?

Post by GoodGirl »

I’ll have to look up Amos Miller.
Whatever happened, I missed it.
0 x
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

I have honestly always wondered why alcohol is legal & marijuana wasn’t. (I read up on the history so kind of know now.)

I have known a few alcoholics in my day, as well as some non-alcoholics who would smoke marijuana… and in my mind, there is no comparison~ alcohol is worse by a long shot.

I am all for things being on the ‘up & up’ & going thru a doctor & using proper legal methods in all of it… but I don’t think marijuana ‘prohibition’ (or whatever you’d call it) makes a lot of sense, compared to alcohol.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am I have honestly always wondered why alcohol is legal & marijuana wasn’t. (I read up on the history so kind of know now.)
If booze was discovered/invented today, it would fall under the same drug category as heroin. But it is too much of a cash cow for the state to do away with it. I know people who work in that industry and the stories they have will blow peoples minds.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

My husbands father (now passed away) was a very abusive alcoholic. It’s a sad story.

I hope I’m on the right track, but I think if he would have had the choice (like today) to vape medical marijuana from his doctor, it would have been a million times better for him than the only thing he had access to~ liquor.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:29 am
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:17 am
The operations around here look like this
Wow! Thanks, I had no idea.

I just have this picture in my head of them plopping them out in a field, like they do with tobacco now.
I guess it is completely different in every state. Since it is illegal at the Federal level there is no interstate trade allowed. So every state that allows cannabis has its own internal regulated market. Maybe CBD is different. Out here on the west coast the cannabis growing business is very controlled, very high tech, and turning pretty corporate. Industrial hemp is a different story. Apparently anyone can just grow it but you have to have it tested to make sure it doesn't have THC levels above some minimal threshold.

That is why there is an enormous and thriving illegal cannabis industry in Southern Oregon run by the cartels. They are doing what the legal growers can't. And that is grow cannabis for export to other states, especially ones where it is illegal.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 am
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:54 am None of this sounds wholesome for God’s people to be involved in.
Where I live (PA), it’s legal with a medical card, and almost all connecting states have legalized it for adults in general.

Maybe it’s just me, but I have a daughter with epilepsy that drugs/diet/etc do not always help… and I’d rather see farmers growing something that has some medicinal value over tobacco any day.
I was referring more to needing to transact in cash, hire private security, and break federal laws to transport between states.

Much the same as Amos Miller actually… he isn’t exactly portraying a good Christian witness.
0 x
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:49 am
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:54 am None of this sounds wholesome for God’s people to be involved in.
Where I live (PA), it’s legal with a medical card, and almost all connecting states have legalized it for adults in general.

Maybe it’s just me, but I have a daughter with epilepsy that drugs/diet/etc do not always help… and I’d rather see farmers growing something that has some medicinal value over tobacco any day.
I was referring more to needing to transact in cash, hire private security, and break federal laws to transport between states.

Much the same as Amos Miller actually… he isn’t exactly portraying a good Christian witness.
Yeah, I agree~ none of that sounds good!

Can you give me the cliff notes version of Amos Miller?
I have been awful at keeping up with the news this past while.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:52 am

There’s a big thread about it on MennoNet going back several years:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4010&hilit=Amos+miller
0 x
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Thanks~ I’ll go check it out.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:52 am

Amish farmer who runs a multi-state mail-order business selling raw milk and raw milk products.

He has structured his business as a membership club (like a mini Costco) and claims that this exempts him regulation since he is not selling to the "public" but a private club. And therefore, also exempts him from state and federal health inspections. And so he has repeatedly refused to obtain the proper licenses for selling raw milk and has refused to allow his operation to get health inspections. Outbreaks of listeria have been linked back to his operation.

The courts have repeatedly ruled against him over the years on every one of his claims and he faces various accumulating fines and penalties. Instead of settling with the government and moving on he has fallen in with various right wing "sovereign citizen" types and turned his case into a cause celebre in certain right wing libertarian circles, raised money on GoFundMe sites and so forth.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr