Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Post by barnhart »

Neto wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:39 pm ...The suit coats were off for pretty well all men during the summer, as Oklahoma summers are hot and humid, and we had no A/C, and not even fans until I was in early HS. Every hymn book rack had expandable hand fans, usually complements of the funeral house. Do you people even know what I'm talking about?...
When I was quite young our meeting house was not air-conditioned. I remember very old benches with dark antique varnish which would soften with the combination of sweat, body heat and ambient heat so that your shirt would stick when you stood up. There were definitely funeral home fans in the book racks.
0 x
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

When I saw the title of this post, I thought of my youth-age son & his girlfriend.

My son goes to town and gets ‘hit on’ by girls his age, like asking for his number or whatever.

I couldn’t help but think this would never happen to his girlfriend, because she when goes to town, she’s in a cape dress & kapp.

My son looks 110% old order on Sundays. During the week, he wears regular pants (but not jeans), generally wears plaid shirts, and is supposed to wear his suspenders but doesn’t always. So if he throws on a jacket, he could easily look like he ‘belongs in town’ (whatever that means). :)
He could do his hair more within church standards, but doesn’t & he gets away with it.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

barnhart wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:05 pmWhen I was quite young our meeting house was not air-conditioned. I remember very old benches with dark antique varnish which would soften with the combination of sweat, body heat and ambient heat so that your shirt would stick when you stood up.
Same at the churches I attended.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

GoodGirl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 pmand is supposed to wear his suspenders but doesn’t always.
Why is he supposed to wear suspenders?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Old Order Bible Brethren member.

He should do his hair a bit better too, but they’re letting it slide for now.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:03 pm Facial hair is regulated, mustaches are not allowed but beards are. However, most men don't wear any facial hair.

In the conservative circles I was exposed to, the only thing I ever saw in writing was "the mustache alone is not permitted." Back in the late 90's, the goatee would get you talked to but wasn't a test of membership at the time.

I think in the last almost 30 years, I've only ever been clean shaven once. Granted, I've had variations in length, as I've tried the 5 O' clock shadow thing to full on homeless :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

GoodGirl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:14 pm Old Order Bible Brethren member.
Time to nerd out a little... which Bible Brethren are we talking about? We have some in our area but I never heard the Old Order used.
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:15 am
GoodGirl wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:14 pm Old Order Bible Brethren member.
Time to nerd out a little... which Bible Brethren are we talking about? We have some in our area but I never heard the Old Order used.
I never have either… sounds very interesting.
0 x
steve-in-kville

One minister we had in years past preached hard against the boys and men wearing printed ball caps. Never understood the hang up on that one.
0 x

GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

The Old Order Bible Brethren are a smaller group, located primary in Adams County.

They are only one church (not a group of churches) and would line up most closely with the Old Order River Brethren.

The men typically have long beards (as long as possible for most) with mustaches. Proper attire is considered black plant, solid shirt, suspenders, vest, plain coat, and black hat for the men.

Women wear large, hard kapps that tie tightly under the chin, and cape dresses (preferably dark & solid), with black stockings & black shoes.

Black cars/vans for the most part.
Baptized upon confession of faith, in preferably running water (like a big creek) with triune immersion.
They will hack thru the ice for a baptism, if need be. (Yes, I have physically seen this & was in awe).

This a very interesting group. Very loving, some big personalities, and able to work thru a lot together.

They have two different meeting houses, and switch back & forth. Both meeting houses have out houses.

Most groups they associate with also have out houses (w the exception of the OORB).

They have a very special way of doing Love Feast, at night in the upper room, a real meal before ‘communion’, & then feet washing. The meal is lamb/sheep & sop the bishops helps get ready. They start with the sheep alive, and take care of it themselves. They use common bowls & cups to some extent.

If anybody wants to visit, PM me.

They have their issues, like anybody, but they’re good people. They’re not quite like anything else I’ve ever seen.

Hope this post does them justice.

Certain members do take smart phones, but send them in to Compass to lock them down. Black flip phones are common.
0 x