Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Re: Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Post by GoodGirl »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:53 am What other groups do they like to mingle with? New Conference, Old Conference, Old Brethren … ?

Do you know their history?
Hmmm… relying on memory, they started about 1940.
I’m honestly not sure why. I’m sure it was explained to me years ago & I just didn’t take it in. We’ve known them for quite awhile, back to when I was chasing my toddlers everywhere.

They mingle with other local Brethren churches:
Little Kutztown, Mummerts (Upper Conawago?), (the former) Marsh Creek, sometimes OORB…

The Keeny Group as a whole, recently joined individually (not as a group).

I’m sure there’s more, but I’m having a brain freeze.

I’d say more old conference than new, but the thing about Brethren (IME) is that they’re pretty much open.

It used to freak me out, but I feel like I ‘get it’ now.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:45 am
Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:53 am What other groups do they like to mingle with? New Conference, Old Conference, Old Brethren … ?

Do you know their history?
Hmmm… relying on memory, they started about 1940.
I’m honestly not sure why. I’m sure it was explained to me years ago & I just didn’t take it in. We’ve known them for quite awhile, back to when I was chasing my toddlers everywhere.

They mingle with other local Brethren churches:
Little Kutztown, Mummerts (Upper Conawago?), (the former) Marsh Creek, sometimes OORB…

The Keeny Group as a whole, recently joined individually (not as a group).

I’m sure there’s more, but I’m having a brain freeze.

I’d say more old conference than new, but the thing about Brethren (IME) is that they’re pretty much open.

It used to freak me out, but I feel like I ‘get it’ now.
Add Millbach, Frystown, the Longencker house....
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Yes! How could I forget Frystown ?
0 x
steve-in-kville

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:59 am Yes! How could I forget Frystown ?
I think back to how these groups got started, the folks that initiated many of them are long gone and the reasons for splitting are basically moot at this point.

Little Kutztown had a recent break away.
0 x

GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Yes, they did. Didn’t the break off start an outreach church closer to a bigger town?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

This all is an interesting read as I am only closely familiar with the Mennonite Brethren group in our city. Their practise of not be conformed to this world does not have anything to do with clothing. It may have at one time to some degree, I don't know the particulars, but I guess in the Anabaptist world they would today be viewed as 'liberal' quite the same as the United Mennonite and Evangelical Mennonite practise in our area. Is this correct ?

When I look at all the varied applications to being separate and/or different from the ways of the world, I keep thinking about what we know about Jesus, how He dressed and who He mingled with and wonder if He would approve today of some of these outward apparel practises to be separate from the world.

If clothes are important to reflecting our sanctification, then why do you suppose Jesus did not give us more direction on this ? He did mention that the Pharisees did things to their clothing to draw attention to themselves Matthew 23:5, however, I don't see where He instructed His disciples to adorn themselves in a special way in following Him. From what I read, the men that became His followers did not change their outward appearances to be seen as His follower.

If we are to follow His example regarding clothing and being separate from the world, don't you think we should go back to wearing the types of robes and sandals He wore and be mingling with sinners where they live ? Or would Jesus say what we read in Colossians 3:12 that we should focus to 'Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience' ?

Any thoughts on this ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm Yes, they did. Didn’t the break off start an outreach church closer to a bigger town?
Little Kutztown? I think they had an outreach going for some years and owned a building near Reading, I think. Not even sure what its called. I know the man who is running it, though.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:42 pm This all is an interesting read as I am only closely familiar with the Mennonite Brethren group in our city. Their practise of not be conformed to this world does not have anything to do with clothing. It may have at one time to some degree, I don't know the particulars, but I guess in the Anabaptist world they would today be viewed as 'liberal' quite the same as the United Mennonite and Evangelical Mennonite practise in our area. Is this correct ?

When I look at all the varied applications to being separate and/or different from the ways of the world, I keep thinking about what we know about Jesus, how He dressed and who He mingled with and wonder if He would approve today of some of these outward apparel practises to be separate from the world.

If clothes are important to reflecting our sanctification, then why do you suppose Jesus did not give us more direction on this ? He did mention that the Pharisees did things to their clothing to draw attention to themselves Matthew 23:5, however, I don't see where He instructed His disciples to adorn themselves in a special way in following Him. From what I read, the men that became His followers did not change their outward appearances to be seen as His follower.

If we are to follow His example regarding clothing and being separate from the world, don't you think we should go back to wearing the types of robes and sandals He wore and be mingling with sinners where they live ? Or would Jesus say what we read in Colossians 3:12 that we should focus to 'Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience' ?

Any thoughts on this ?
All of these questions are really quite familiar to modern conservative Mennonites, some of whom choose to leave the culture and embrace the traditions and norms of American society. Most, however, choose to maintain their culture and tradition to one degree or another for the reasons that many already stated in this thread, and question the wisdom of the sort of Christianity that does not appear to speak to practical living in many significant ways.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:42 pm If clothes are important to reflecting our sanctification, then why do you suppose Jesus did not give us more direction on this ? He did mention that the Pharisees did things to their clothing to draw attention to themselves Matthew 23:5, however, I don't see where He instructed His disciples to adorn themselves in a special way in following Him. From what I read, the men that became His followers did not change their outward appearances to be seen as His follower.
I don't see anywhere Jesus taught his followers to make sure they conform to the latest American fashion trends, either.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:05 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:42 pm If clothes are important to reflecting our sanctification, then why do you suppose Jesus did not give us more direction on this ? He did mention that the Pharisees did things to their clothing to draw attention to themselves Matthew 23:5, however, I don't see where He instructed His disciples to adorn themselves in a special way in following Him. From what I read, the men that became His followers did not change their outward appearances to be seen as His follower.
I don't see anywhere Jesus taught his followers to make sure they conform to the latest American fashion trends, either.
Also true. So then I would conclude that He wants us to be guided by the Holy Spirit in how we dress and not attempt to establish a dress requirement for everyone that choses to fellowship with us. Or do you think God is in support of each Christian church group having all these distinctions through what they call all being of one mind in that church group ? And what do you think is the impact on reaching the lost with all these different sanctification practises ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit