Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Re: Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Post by GoodGirl »

Also, especially with the younger men, their dress may vary during the week. Say, a plaid shirt & work pants.

They have a very active youth group, that mingles with youth from other more liberal Brethten churches. Always volleyball or something going on.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 am
They have a very special way of doing Love Feast, at night in the upper room, a real meal before ‘communion’, & then feet washing. The meal is lamb/sheep & sop the bishops helps get ready. They start with the sheep alive, and take care of it themselves. They use common bowls & cups to some extent.
They have bishops instead of elders?

This sounds like the group we have around here.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Actually, sorry… we generally call him the bishop, because he’s the in-charge guy, but I think he is technically an elder.

Then they have actual ministers & deacons.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What other groups do they like to mingle with? New Conference, Old Conference, Old Brethren … ?

Do you know their history?
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 amActually, sorry… we generally call him the bishop, because he’s the in-charge guy, but I think he is technically an elder.
"He" being John? I was thinking Tim came onboard as a minister as well when he opted not to go with us a year or two ago...? Or are you with a different group than the Mountain House folks?
0 x
GoodGirl

Post by GoodGirl »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:04 am
"He" being John? I was thinking Tim came onboard as a minister as well when he opted not to go with us a year or two ago...? Or are you with a different group than the Mountain House folks?
[/quote]

PMing you!
0 x
Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

To the OP, the group I grew up in and was part of til 2009 (Old German Baptist Brethren Church) required or strongly encouraged several things for the brethren. Admittedly, adherence varied depending on how conservative an individual or congregation was, or how patient the ministers and others in the congregation were, especially in the 80s-early2000s:

Hair styles were traditionally required to be "one length and blocked in the back, not shingled or tapered". Usually parted in the middle or combed straight back.

Broadfall pants (made-over from zipper pants was acceptable but frowned on among the most conservative). Snaps or buttons were fine (same for vests and coats), hooks and eyes were never present nor an issue among our strain of Plain folks.

Black (crushable, straw, or felt) broadbrimmed (2.5"-4"), flat crowned hats (with allowance for lighter straw colored ones for work)

Button up shirts were expected (short or long sleeve), hoodies were discouraged though that has changed over the last few decades, particularly for workwear.

A Plain 3 piece suit (standing collar "frock coat", as opposed to the standard Mennonite "sack coat", though this wasn't ever specifically written out) for worship and formal occasions.

Beards without mustaches were encouraged, though only formally required for ministers and deacons. Once grown, there was strong pressure to never shave it back off, and close cropped beards were strongly discouraged. And technically, mustaches were not outright forbidden if worn WITH the rest of the beard, but they were strongly discouraged and very rarely seen.

Suspenders were encouraged but never made a strong issue, though they became a mark of being more "conservative" over the last 40-50 years.
1 x
steve-in-kville

GoodGirl wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 amActually, sorry… we generally call him the bishop, because he’s the in-charge guy, but I think he is technically an elder.
This sounds like it is of the same stripe.

There is a camp meeting that takes place in Dillsburg every July, and I think a bunch of these conservative Brethren groups participate.
0 x

Heirbyadoption

Post by Heirbyadoption »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:35 am
This sounds like it is of the same stripe.

There is a camp meeting that takes place in Dillsburg every July, and I think a bunch of these conservative Brethren groups participate.
Yep. We have been hoping to attend the last couple years and it seems like there has always been a schedule conflict. Maybe this time. Do you attend?
0 x
steve-in-kville

Used to. We would only drive out for one day. My wife has family that still attends Lititz Kutztown and I think they are the main organizer of the event.
0 x