Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Post by Sudsy »

Seems women's outward appearance is a popular topic amongst Mennonites but I don't recall as much conversation on what is required of men. This thread is to talk about the outward apparel of Mennonite men and how these requirements are scripturally based.

So, in the Mennonite group that you currently belong to or have belonged to in the past, what is a unique way of outward adornment (clothes or facial hair) that makes you distinct looking from most other non-Mennonite Christian men ?

For instance, if your group requires men to wear a certain type of hat (style, colour, brim size), what is the scriptural text to support this practise. Perhaps it is just what is considered being 'modest' or being 'unworldly', that sort of thing. Or it may have a more distinct meaning.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Mennonite Outward Appearance Requirements For Men

Post by mike »

Facial hair is regulated, mustaches are not allowed but beards are. However, most men don't wear any facial hair.

If a suit is worn, it must be plain cut, and is required by understood tradition (not in writing) on certain occasions such as baptisms, weddings, and so forth. It seems to be expected to wear one in colder weather, so most do, but few men wear them at all in summer time.

Shoes worn to church must be black.

It's not written, but assumed that men wear button-down dress shirts and dress pants to church.

There's not much in the way of scriptural reasoning for the facial hair rules, it is purely a nod to tradition. If anything, our rule violates biblical principle. The other items I am sure are linked to biblical principles such as simplicity, modesty, and respect or dignity in regard to worship services.

There are probably some other written rules about men's appearance that I can't think of at the moment, but none that would make our appearance stand out drastically from the way a lot of other people dress.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:03 pm Facial hair is regulated, mustaches are not allowed but beards are. However, most men don't wear any facial hair.

If a suit is worn, it must be plain cut, and is required by understood tradition (not in writing) on certain occasions such as baptisms, weddings, and so forth. It seems to be expected to wear one in colder weather, so most do, but few men wear them at all in summer time.

It's not written, but assumed that men wear button-down dress shirts and dress pants to church.

There's not much in the way of scriptural reasoning for the facial hair rules, it is purely a nod to tradition. If anything, our rule violates biblical principle. The other items I am sure are linked to biblical principles such as simplicity, modesty, and respect or dignity in regard to worship services.

There are probably some other written rules about men's appearance that I can't think of at the moment, but none that would make our appearance stand out drastically from the way a lot of other people dress.
Allowing a beard without a mustache would be one that would stand out to me from other Christians that I know.

What about the wearing of suspenders instead of a belt ? Is this tradition also or does it have a spiritual meaning ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Mike's overview describe well the majority of Plain Anabaptist churches.

Romans 12:1-2 is often cited for why we should be glad to be separate from the world.
Verses like 2 Thess. 2:15 are cited for keeping the traditions as they have been taught.
Some churches use the verses from I Timothy 2:9 about gold and silver and pearls to prohibit watch bands and big belt buckles that are silver or gold colored.
The verses about being unified and of one mind will sometimes be used to defend a church uniform.
Generally, the teacher or preacher will explain that the standards or the disciplines of the church are an application of biblical principles, that have "served the church well." Why change the standards if they are in some way helping people to live separate, godly lives.
It is common for teachers and preacher to also address the heart issues behind wanting to do things to be more like the world. And sometimes cases are made for having an identity with the people of God.

There is the occasional anomaly when a preacher tries to make a case for wearing hats, because the three men in the fiery furnace wore hats, or the fact that if Jesus wore a beard, we should not be ashamed to identify with him, etc.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:25 pmWhat about the wearing of suspenders instead of a belt ? Is this tradition also or does it have a spiritual meaning ?
Most men used to wear suspenders, and then most began wearing belts. So in the most Plain churches, belts are considered an innovation and indicate wanting to look more like the world.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:25 pm
mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:03 pm Facial hair is regulated, mustaches are not allowed but beards are. However, most men don't wear any facial hair.

Allowing a beard without a mustache would be one that would stand out to me from other Christians that I know.

What about the wearing of suspenders instead of a belt ? Is this tradition also or does it have a spiritual meaning ?
There are definitely Mennonite churches that require suspenders, and I assume that the scriptural reasoning (if any is given) is based on the ideas of separation from the world and simplicity, but most likely it is justified as simple adherence to tradition.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Holdeman Mennonites consider the beard to be a requirement for men, based on both scriptural and natural reasonings:

- We know that Jesus wore a beard, based on prophecy in Isaiah. "I gave my back to those who strike, and my cheeks to those who pull out the beard."

- It seems that men's beards growing is part of the God-ordained differences between the sexes, much as how men go bald (and thus nature teaches us a man should have short hair) but a woman's does not (and thus it is natural for a woman's hair to grow long).

- Part of a plain and simple lifestyle means not focusing too much on unnecessary adornment. Just as women don't need to be focused on applying makeup and getting complex hairstyles or going to get their hair coloured and permed and cut at hair shops for significant expense, men don't need to be focused on trying to keep up with worldly expectations to have a clean-shaven face, which takes an investment in razors, electric razors, risk of cutting one's self, and so on. Instead, a simply trim will do (although trimming one's beard is by no means mandated in scripture).

There are some who argue that if men should cut the hair on their heads, they should cut and trim their beards too. I don't have a problem with this argument.

Generally speaking, the importance of the beard is taught next door to the importance of the Christian woman's devotional covering.

There is no teaching against the moustache. We don't have a doctrine against wearing a moustache by itself but this is never done. In times past, many Holdeman men didn't wear moustaches because the other Mennonites and Amish around them didn't do that either.
Last edited by Josh on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:03 pmShoes worn to church must be black.

We do the same (women also wear black shoes to church, with socks or hosiery*). It is not written down anywhere. The basic standard is that you won't wear blue jeans to church. You can wear "jeans" if they look enough like non-jeans, such as being black or brown and made of a fabric that looks more like dress pants.

Likewise, shirts for men will be long sleeved and button down. It is acceptable (albeit a bit on the fringes) to simply wear a sweater with a zip up top, and then you can wear a T-shirt underneath that. But polo shirts are definitely not acceptable.

Women also wear dresses with long sleeves. The only real difference between a "church dress" and a regular dress is whether or not the sleeves are long. There are usually stylistic differences too. Some women just wear an everyday dress and put a sweater on overtop of that, and that counts as long sleeves.

* Presumably, men also wear socks or hosiery with their shoes to church as well. I have, however, spotted a married man sporting ankle socks with his dress shoes and suit pants/jacket and dress shirt.

Outside of church... the biggest thing is "no shorts". Wearing athletic style pants in public is dubious. It would be OK if going straight to the gym and back but otherwise shouldn't be done. Pants that are actually athletic pants but don't look like athletic pants would be OK. Youth do not wear athletic pants to volleyball games, but wear blue jeans. Generally speaking, blue jeans are the expected everyday attire.

T-shirts are acceptable but should not have printed logos or designs other than that of one's employer, or perhaps a customer who has given them away as promotional materials. Designs that simply display a fashion brand are discouraged, but a very small logo in a corner (such as Under Armour polo shirts have) is acceptable.

None of what I just said is really written down anywhere, other than "no shorts".
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:20 pm- We know that Jesus wore a beard, based on prophecy in Isaiah. "I gave my back to those who strike, and my cheeks to those who pull out the beard."
That is quite a stretch, relying on 8 Centuries old prophesy when there is not the slightest mention beards in the New Testament. It certainly wasn't an important enough fact to mention as a point of doctrine or even trivia.

Isaiah also said:
In the same day the Lord will shave with a hired razor,
With those from beyond the River, with the king of Assyria,
The head and the hair of the legs,
And will also remove the beard.
Except the Kingdom of Assyria, which was the dominant empire during Isaiah's time during the 8th Century BC, collapsed a century later after being conquered by Babylon. And had been extinct for 6 Centuries before the birth of Christ. The last king of Assyria was Ashur-uballit II and he died 608 years before the birth of Christ.

So he definitely got that one wrong.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

In my grandfathers' time, white shirts were not approved for Sunday attire. (Light blue was the indicated color, button shirts, of course.) No more that the very top button would be left unbuttoned to the less formal Wednesday evening or Sunday evening services, or during the hottest part of the Summer, when a tie did not need to be worn (because of the heat.)

No jeans to any church services. By the time I was in college, wearing non-faded blue jeans w/o any holes or thread-bare spots were tolerated for Wednesday evening services. (In the Wednesday youth meetings blue jeans were OK, even if a bit worn.) My long hair was not approved, but I wasn't approached directly about it. However, conviction about going against the WISHES of my elders was the reason I cut it off.

No shorts anywhere at any time EXCEPT while engaged in water sports (fishing, swimming, boating). I have continued to live by this standard, even when we were out in the jungle. (I always wore long pants, and so rarely wore any type of shirt except a full button shirt. (Once when I was wearing a pull-over shirt, one with a collar and three buttons in the front, it was so strange to the Banawa that when some of the women saw me from across the airstrip, they thought an outsider had come into the village.

Little boys were often dressed in dress shorts, something which really doesn't exist at all anymore. (They were made of dress pant fabric, and would usually have suspenders incorporated into the design.) Bow ties were acceptable for young boys, but neck ties expected from 10 years or so of age on up. Also suit coats during the cooler weather. (The suit coats were off for pretty well all men during the summer, as Oklahoma summers are hot and humid, and we had no A/C, and not even fans until I was in early HS. Every hymn book rack had expandable hand fans, usually complements of the funeral house. Do you people even know what I'm talking about?!?)

Shoes were "required" for all church services, but children generally didn't wear shoes during the week, in the summer. (The public school required shoes. Funny, that the University of Oklahoma did not require that students wear shoes to classes, which I generally didn't. I was only there for graduate level summer courses, so the only disadvantage was the hot asphalt when crossing the streets.) No one would have dared to wear "tennis shoes" or other types of sports shoes to Sunday services - it just wasn't done.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.