Why did you come?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Why did you come?

Post by Josh »

About half of seeker disaster stories I know of - there is literally nothing they could have done to fix things (other than to ignore or go along with blatant open sin).
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Josh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:19 am About half of seeker disaster stories I know of - there is literally nothing they could have done to fix things (other than to ignore or go along with blatant open sin).
This is part of the challenge. If less conservative groups let more things go a seeker can fit in easier but they look around with disillusionment. What they appreciate is unknowingly their undoing…

They go to a more conservative church where more things are dealt with but have a harder time “fitting in.” The church isn’t about me and so this process can have an humbling effect if we let it.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

NedFlanders wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:18 am
Josh wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:19 am About half of seeker disaster stories I know of - there is literally nothing they could have done to fix things (other than to ignore or go along with blatant open sin).
This is part of the challenge. If less conservative groups let more things go a seeker can fit in easier but they look around with disillusionment. What they appreciate is unknowingly their undoing…

They go to a more conservative church where more things are dealt with but have a harder time “fitting in.” The church isn’t about me and so this process can have an humbling effect if we let it.
This may blow your mind but I felt more accepted in the conservative circles than in the progressive ones.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:24 am

This may blow your mind but I felt more accepted in the conservative circles than in the progressive ones.
I’ve noticed the same thing - it seems essentially at random whether a specific church makes newcomers feel accepted.
0 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:24 am

I actually agree. I just think feeling like a person fits in or is accepted can be two different things.

I think this has to do with direction of travel of why a seeker can feel more accepted in a more conservative setting but when we aren’t very far along in our journey and understanding of scripture or practice we can feel like we don’t fit in not being at the same place in our understanding.

I would encourage any seeker to pay closer attention to the direction of travel in finding out where members came from and some may even share their leanings of going elsewhere- rather than looking where they are at on the conservative spectrum.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Would it be possible to move this discussion on troubled homes to a different thread? I'd really like to see the original question of why did you come continued. Thanks.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Verity wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:47 pm Would it be possible to move this discussion on troubled homes to a different thread? I'd really like to see the original question of why did you come continued. Thanks.
New thread: https://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6512
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

If you are from non-anabaptist background, what is it that drew you to the anabaptist?
Basically I wanted to escape the Barthian prison in which I was educated. And John Yoder was the one and only man who argued against Barth on his own level (having studied under Barth for a while) and I found just my own arguments in a more sophisticated fashion.

If you came but never joined, what held you back?
As I say I'm "not liberal enough to be a Quaker, not literal enough to be a Mennonite". (I accept the Quaker standpoint that the spirit is more important than the letter.) Also my local church is at the brink to return to the Protestant (here mostly Barthian) church which I had left in order to find something better.

If you are looking on with no interest in joining, what is it that intrigues you?
Bohemian Brothers and Anabaptists were at the beginning of civil liberties (freedom of opinion and association), which spread from religion to politics. All the classical civil liberties are now contested and it is interesting to observe how this develops back from politics to religion. Can the process be stopped? Will Mennonites eschew a conflict by falling into the line? Or can they revive a spirit of resistance? The decisive point here is freedom of conscience, namely that nobody must be enforced to support behaviour which is sinful in his eyes. The matter involved (homosexuality, abortion or whatever) is, imho, secondary.
Last edited by PetrChelcicky on Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Quality post Petr.
0 x