Why did you come?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Why did you come?

Post by Verity »

I'd like to hear your personal experiences.

If you are from non-anabaptist background, what is it that drew you to the anabaptist?

If you came but never joined, what held you back?

If you joined but later left, what was the main reason why?

If you are looking on with no interest in joining, what is it that intrigues you?
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Why did you come?

Post by Sudsy »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 am I'd like to hear your personal experiences.

If you are from non-anabaptist background, what is it that drew you to the anabaptist?

I am from non-Mennonite ethnic background and have been active in evangelism in previous faith groups and the Mennonite Brethren seemed to be the Anabaptist group with an evangelism emphasis. The MBs were the most non-ethnic Anabaptist group in our area and it was easy to fit in.

If you came but never joined, what held you back?

I do not believe in formal church membership and many Anabaptist groups have formal membership. In the MB church we could be non-members that made this our church home and allowed to participate in many church roles even one I was active in as the leader of the Sunday adult Bible class.

If you joined but later left, what was the main reason why?

I didn't join but later left and a main reason was the modern style of worship music. I can still watch the services on the TV and skip over the music.

If you are looking on with no interest in joining, what is it that intrigues you?

What intrigues me most is to hear the Gospel that is being preached and listening to the testimonies of new attenders who have become Christians and are getting baptised (immersed in water). Some testimonies, more than others, talk more about their new relationship with Jesus whereas others appear to be more about joining a local church and/or being with their friends.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 am I'd like to hear your personal experiences.

I didn’t have peace without God. After I accepted that God even existed I wanted to search Him out. I read scripture and couldn’t find any groups that fulfilled two things Christ said- you will know them by their fruit and they will know you by your love one to another. The reason I couldn’t find anyone fulfilling them is because I wasn’t satisfied that these two things were fulfilled by how people wanted to define them but how the scripture told me they were defined.

Eventually, I read in church history about a third group I never heard of- the Anabaptist’s and/or Mennonites. Some of their doctrines I was uncertain about but I think that was mostly my flesh being uncomfortable. I believed and believe the original Anabaptist’s represented a true Christianity who were literally followers of Christ as He said they would be. They were the only ones of the 3 groups that understood and lived the Gospel Christ preached - The Gospel of the Kingdom of God!

I have come to learn that many people who identify as Anabaptist’s and/or Mennonites today do not have the same passion/commitment/life as those of the 1500’s according to the history I read. But some groups or people within some groups of so called Conservative Anabaptist’s/Mennonites still carried a similar passion including what Christ said about loving one another sacrificially and bearing the fruit of the Spirit. Not just biblical sounding words and doctrine but a transformed life - a whole package that didn’t separate belief and life according to scripture.
3 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 amIf you are from non-anabaptist background, what is it that drew you to the anabaptist?
Basically when I felt called to become a Christian I felt called to go to a specific church 2 miles from my house, which happened to be a conservative Mennonite church. I did know that "liberal" Christianity had no promise for me and wasn't too interested in "Mennonites" either (before then, I had known lots of not-conservative Mennonites and attended a not-conservative Mennonite church for a while, and actually was a member there too).

So I would say it was really divine providence. If someone had invited me to their not-Anabaptist church during that period in my life, I would probably have gone there and stayed there.
2 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:40 pm So I would say it was really divine providence. If someone had invited me to their not-Anabaptist church during that period in my life, I would probably have gone there and stayed there.
Interesting, Josh. Even though about 75% of folks not raised Anabaptist, eventually leave Plain Anabaptist churches, it's still worth Anabaptist churches inviting people to church for the sake of the 25%. I just feel bad for the 75% and wish I could somehow tell them what to expect, before they experience it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:05 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:40 pm So I would say it was really divine providence. If someone had invited me to their not-Anabaptist church during that period in my life, I would probably have gone there and stayed there.
Interesting, Josh. Even though about 75% of folks not raised Anabaptist, eventually leave Plain Anabaptist churches, it's still worth Anabaptist churches inviting people to church for the sake of the 25%. I just feel bad for the 75% and wish I could somehow tell them what to expect, before they experience it.
I'm always surprised it's that high (is this figure just for people who become members or all visitors)? It is not that high in Holdeman circles. Maybe the opposite (25% of members from the world eventually leave).
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:18 pmI'm always surprised it's that high (is this figure just for people who become members or all visitors)?
Those who become members.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:18 pmI'm always surprised it's that high (is this figure just for people who become members or all visitors)?
Do they abandon plain Anabaptism altogether, or perhaps just change affiliations?

When I lived in Australia there did seem to be a high "failure rate". But it also seemed that nearly everyone attracted to the church I was in there, was already a "conservative Christian" (and usually of the homeschooling variety). It proved very difficult to form any kind of unified brotherhood.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:39 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:25 pm
Do they abandon plain Anabaptism altogether, or perhaps just change affiliations?
I got the figures from David Bercot. I can't answer your question.

I think Australia was an anomaly.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Verity wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:31 am If you are from non-anabaptist background, what is it that drew you to the anabaptist?
God's call on my life has been intentional Christian community. The first one I was part of, Jubilee Partners, had one Mennonite member and occasional MVS volunteers, so I learned about Anabaptism a bit. The next intentional community, New Covenant Fellowship, was Church of the Brethren related. The third community, Plow Creek, was affiliated with the two Mennonite branches that then joined and became MC-USA. I read the Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective and agreed with all of it. It was great to find a group that valued simplicity and non-violence--and didn't have US flags in the church buildings. When Plow Creek disbanded, I continued to associate with and became a member of the nearby Willow Springs Mennonite Church with which Plow Creek had plenty of contact.
2 x