Anabaptist Perspectives Interview: Sister Judy

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Anabaptist Perspectives Interview: Sister Judy

Post by mike »

Here's an interview that might interest folks here. Sister Judy is apparently a widow, a convert to conservative Anabaptism who wears a habit as a head covering. She has interesting things to say about her journey, and some interesting thoughts about Mennonites and worship that I'd enjoy hearing some discussion about.

Quick link to where she comments on Mennonites' shortcomings on worship.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Elmer
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Anabaptist Perspectives Interview: Sister Judy

Post by Elmer »

mike wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:02 pm Here's an interview that might interest folks here. Sister Judy is apparently a widow, a convert to conservative Anabaptism who wears a habit as a head covering. She has interesting things to say about her journey, and some interesting thoughts about Mennonites and worship that I'd enjoy hearing some discussion about.

Quick link to where she comments on Mennonites' shortcomings on worship.
I found it interesting listening to. I don't have experience with liturgical worship. I do not hate the idea of scripted prayers or prayer books like some people do. There is an interesting article on how we as Anabaptists do prayer: https://anabaptistfaith.org/prayers/
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Anabaptist Perspectives Interview: Sister Judy

Post by MaxPC »

Elmer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:58 am
I found it interesting listening to. I don't have experience with liturgical worship. I do not hate the idea of scripted prayers or prayer books like some people do. There is an interesting article on how we as Anabaptists do prayer: https://anabaptistfaith.org/prayers/
Elmer, thank you for that link to the article.. I enjoy reading about how others practice their walk with Jesus. This portion of the article reminds me of our own style of personal prayers outside of the liturgy.
Anabaptist prayers are typically not scripted, but often run along the same lines, due to generations of caring about the same things. You’ll hear similar phrases showing up in many of the same types of prayers, but usually each person who prays has their own phrases that mean something especially to them or that they have inherited from their family’s way of praying. Each prayer will be a little different, and each prayer will tend to mention things that are relevant to the occasion. Places where different things would typically be said are in brackets. However, you should adapt these prayers and especially pray about things that you are thankful for or that you desire.
Regarding Sister Judy: I am of the perspective that we all must pursue the calling from God in whatever manner and mission He deems it necessary. At the end of the day, we are all servants as well as disciples. I am sure there will be some who consider Sister Judy as strange but then, when Francis of Assisi walked away from his family's wealth, his family friends felt he had lost his mind. Yet today his simple charism lives on in many denominations.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God