Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Post by mike »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:12 am
Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:09 am One LMC thing in the 1950s was a passion for domestic evangelism and church planting, which led to outposts like the church in York. There is still some of that passion lurking in institutions like KMF.
That wasn't just LMC. Franconia and East District also had real passions for domestic evangelism/church planting. I suspect that most of the Old MC conferences were of a similar disposition 100 years ago.
Reminds me of this old book I have that I need to read.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Go ... escription
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am
Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:09 am One LMC thing in the 1950s was a passion for domestic evangelism and church planting, which led to outposts like the church in York. There is still some of that passion lurking in institutions like KMF.
That wasn't just LMC. Franconia and East District also had real passions for domestic evangelism/church planting. I suspect that most of the Old MC conferences were of a similar disposition 100 years ago.

That's a good book.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:39 am

That's a good book.
Could you summarize the book?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I’d like to get a copy of that book but don’t currently have a few thousand dollars spare for one.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:55 am I’d like to get a copy of that book but don’t currently have a few thousand dollars spare for one.
$25 on Amazon.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am

That's a good book.
It's been a while since I last read it, but my recollection would be that the primary topic the impact of modern protestant influences and the missions movement on the Mennonite church. I believe it includes discussion of the how, as the Mennonites moved away from being mostly farmers and became businessmen, the business mindset manifested itself in a fever of institution-making including orphanages, hospitals, and mission organizations. And the friction between the old ways and the new ways.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:55 am I’d like to get a copy of that book but don’t currently have a few thousand dollars spare for one.
You'd probably also like a copy of "The Earth Is the Lord's" by John Ruth, although even that can be had for less than $1,000.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:58 pm It's been a while since I last read it, but my recollection would be that the primary topic the impact of modern protestant influences and the missions movement on the Mennonite church. I believe it includes discussion of the how, as the Mennonites moved away from being mostly farmers and became businessmen, the business mindset manifested itself in a fever of institution-making including orphanages, hospitals, and mission organizations. And the friction between the old ways and the new ways.
Thanks.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:59 pm
You'd probably also like a copy of "The Earth Is the Lord's" by John Ruth, although even that can be had for less than $1,000.
This is great news. There was another similar book I also had trouble finding.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:27 am
mike wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am Reminds me of this old book I have that I need to read.
That's a good book.
Yes, it is a great book.
Basically chronicles how the Evangelical Gospel entered the Old Mennonite church and how Mennonites took it wherever they went, instead of taking the Anabaptist one.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"