Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Post by mike »

We've had various references to Lancaster Mennonite Conference when it comes to discussing certain features of conservative Mennonite spin-offs. Many of the current conservative Mennonite conferences & churches trace their recent origin to LMC. So I've been wanting to start a thread specifically to list the practices, rules, customs, beliefs, & values of conservative Mennonites that they brought along with them from LMC. For example Josh mentioned top-down episcopal style of church governance.

So, what are some of the unique features of LMC, as it was in the 1960s, that are still to be found in today's conservative Mennonite groups?
Last edited by mike on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike

Re: Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Post by mike »

My own background is Amish, although I'm a transplant in a CM conference church these days. So I have to look around me and wonder how much of what I'm seeing is a relic from LMC. For example is the typical CM position on facial hair (mostly they either outright forbid it, discourage it, or shy away from it, or if they do allow it they forbid a full beard) a LMC holdover?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Post by steve-in-kville »

Does anyone have access to a "flow chart" that shows the various splits and divisions? That would be interesting to see.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:05 am My own background is Amish, although I'm a transplant in a CM conference church these days. So I have to look around me and wonder how much of what I'm seeing is a relic from LMC. For example is the typical CM position on facial hair (mostly they either outright forbid it, discourage it, or shy away from it, or if they do allow it they forbid a full beard) a LMC holdover?
This is a Mennonite thing. Mennonites have always tended to be somewhat trendy, as compared with Amish. So when men in society started shaving, the younger generation did also until only a few old men still had beards at the turn of the 20th century. The same thing happened with tapered haircuts until everyone had them.

Washington/Franklin/Eastern froze the hats of the 1910's, and the tapered haircuts of 1910-1940's. Old Order Mennonite ministers and the older generation, still keep their hair cut similar to how men in society did in the early 1800's.
Last edited by Ernie on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:25 am Does anyone have access to a "flow chart" that shows the various splits and divisions? That would be interesting to see.
https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... 3-2012.pdf

This is out of date. I'm looking for someone to update it if anyone likes design.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville

Ernie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:34 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:25 am Does anyone have access to a "flow chart" that shows the various splits and divisions? That would be interesting to see.
https://churchplantersforum.org/wp-cont ... 3-2012.pdf

This is out of date. I'm looking for someone to update it if anyone likes design.
That's the one I was thinking of.
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

One LMC thing in the 1950s was a passion for domestic evangelism and church planting, which led to outposts like the church in York. There is still some of that passion lurking in institutions like KMF.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:09 am One LMC thing in the 1950s was a passion for domestic evangelism and church planting, which led to outposts like the church in York. There is still some of that passion lurking in institutions like KMF.
I think some of those outposts are/were in our area (rural western PA) as well, although they seem to have all either died off or turned into small nondenominational community churches. Our congregation actually bought one of those defunct church buildings from a Mennonite church that had closed, and the older couple who thought they were the owners found out that it was actually still owned by LMC.
0 x
steve-in-kville

One feature I noticed is how individual congregations within the same district can have different (unwritten) rules and standards. Like cars, music and attire. I often wondered if someone failed to comply with an unwritten standard, will they face discipline?
0 x

HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:09 am One LMC thing in the 1950s was a passion for domestic evangelism and church planting, which led to outposts like the church in York. There is still some of that passion lurking in institutions like KMF.
That wasn't just LMC. Franconia and East District also had real passions for domestic evangelism/church planting. I suspect that most of the Old MC conferences were of a similar disposition 100 years ago.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church