Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Features of Lancaster Mennonite Conference that transmitted to Conservative Spin-offs

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Martin wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:34 pm
JayP wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:27 pm I don’t understand considering Wash/Frank much different than Eastern. It simply made the same choice at a different time. The groups freely trade pulpits, marry, etc,

Indeed, I would argue groups like WashFrank, yorkAdams and even now Appl will survive only because EPMC and NWF provide the center these smaller groups can rotate around. I do not think they would survive otherwise.
Washington-Franklin doesn't rotate around Eastern. They "held the fort" so to speak when all the rest of the conferences changed in the mid 1900's. And the older generation in WF had a lot of family ties with Lancaster and watched immediate family members leave Mennonite values.

And, although, Eastern preachers speak in WF, they are forbidden from preaching on "speculative prophecy".
Why would anyone invited as a guest speaker or to fill a pulpit ever do that? “Speculative Prophecy “ is, well, speculative. I would not even do that if asked to speak in my home congregation.
0 x
:hug: