Affiliation: LMC

A YouTuber visits a Nationwide Fellowship church

Post by cooper »

0 x
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Re: A YouTuber visits a Nationwide Fellowship church

Post by cooper »

I thought this was a very accurate portrayal of ultra-conservative Mennonites. I was surprised they allowed him to gave him permission to film them.

I couldn't tell who was using who. Was the YouTuber using these Mennonites for views or were the Mennonites using his YouTube channel as an evangelism tool? I think both.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This fellow confused 1956 with the 1800s. Or more accurately, what was a common lifestyle 70 years ago seems to folks today like it was centuries ago.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 pm This fellow confused 1956 with the 1800s. Or more accurately, what was a common lifestyle 70 years ago seems to folks today like it was centuries ago.
At what point did Mennonites decide to have clean shaven faces and why? We visited Shiloh OH a few years ago, horse and buggy Mennonites and having been used to beards on the Amish it just looked so odd to us to see all these men dressed like Amish with clean shaven faces.
Was that an intentional step to distinguish from Amish?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:08 am
Josh wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 pm This fellow confused 1956 with the 1800s. Or more accurately, what was a common lifestyle 70 years ago seems to folks today like it was centuries ago.
At what point did Mennonites decide to have clean shaven faces and why? We visited Shiloh OH a few years ago, horse and buggy Mennonites and having been used to beards on the Amish it just looked so odd to us to see all these men dressed like Amish with clean shaven faces.
Mennonites are not all clean shaven. Eastern to my knowledge is and Nationwide is mostly clean shaven but there are some beards without mustache. Western fellowship beards were permitted and depending on church, mustache too. Pilgrim officially tolerates both but I’ve been told some are unhappy with the mustache.
Beachy from what I’ve heard have more beards and Amish tend to.

Catholics and Orthodox had a more violent feud over beards and that’s just as ridiculous. Why churches care so much over men’s facial hair and come out on both sides seems irrational.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:16 am
Valerie wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:08 am
Mennonites are not all clean shaven. Eastern to my knowledge is and Nationwide is mostly clean shaven but there are some beards without mustache. Western fellowship beards were permitted and depending on church, mustache too. Pilgrim officially tolerates both but I’ve been told some are unhappy with the mustache.
Beachy from what I’ve heard have more beards and Amish tend to.

Catholics and Orthodox had a more violent feud over beards and that’s just as ridiculous. Why churches care so much over men’s facial hair and come out on both sides seems irrational.
My feeling is I suppose it's part of condoning for the faith- gender distinction was always very important to God from what He commanded and so it seems the belief to have facial hair was to represent how God created the 2 genders.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

The Amish in Maine require mustaches- they let go of that law forbidding mustaches
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

cooper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:52 pmI thought this was a very accurate portrayal of ultra-conservative Mennonites.
Except for the "hat picture" on the cover photo.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

cooper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:49 pm
I quite enjoyed this vid. Thank you.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:09 pm
cooper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:49 pm
I quite enjoyed this vid. Thank you.
Same. Very good video and accurate content. Other than the straw hat on the picture.
1 x