The Anabaptist perception towards lawsuits!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards lawsuits!

Post by Ken »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:54 pm
RZehr wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:37 pm We are told to give to him that asks, and to suffer joyfully the spoiling of our goods. So I don’t think that suing for money really follows the spirit of Christ. In those situations I think it is better to agree with thine adversary quickly, and return good for evil.
How does the principle of suffering joyfully the spoiling of our goods, and agreeing with our adversaries quickly, apply in situations where a person makes false claims against us and demands payment?

I'm thinking of a situation that occurred within the last few years where a couple of individuals claimed physical abuse and that they had been forced to work without pay. Assume for a moment that the accusations are 100% false - completely made up.

If the organization defends themselves, they are accused of lawyering up to protect their reputation and fighting to keep their secrets from being exposed.
If the organization retains counsel and allows the process to play out through the discovery phase, and then settles, they are accused of settling because "they know they are wrong and they would lose at trial"
If the organization immediately offers to negotiate and settle in order to avoid a lawsuit being filed against them, they are immediately accused of trying to sweep things under the rug and protect themselves and their secrets.
If they disclose everything they possibly can, people will pick and chose from the information released to paint the organization as liars and monsters.
If they disclose little or nothing, people will accuse them of secrecy and cult-like behavior.

So, how can an organization in such a situation be effective and build God's kingdom by following the command to "agree with their adversary quickly"? It's certainly the Bible way - but what is the most effective way to implement the instruction?
I don't think there is any Biblical prohibition against DEFENDING yourself against criminal or civil charges. You do so in an ethical way and let the chips fall where they may. And don't worry about what others might think. And if you are a public-facing business, you defend your reputation as well in whatever is the most ethical and appropriate way. Just like any other responsible business.

If you own a business that others depend on as employees or customers then it is your obligation to defend the business since the livelihoods of others are at stake as well. I should think that is actually your obligation.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards lawsuits!

Post by Josh »

Anabaptists have traditionally established their own mutual aid so they can avoid precisely the kind of situation Ken described above.
0 x