Exorcisms?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Exorcisms?

Post by Valerie »

There are those in Anabaptist faith who have Deliverance ministries. Valid?

The Church since the beginning has always performed exorcisms. Why? Jesus said to. Not to annoy but because it is the 2000 year old church, Orthodox priests will perform exorcisms- also, at every Orthodox baptism, exorcizing any unclean spirit is part of the Baptism ceremony and then the person is "Chrismated" to receive the Holy Spirit (so filled, not left empty.

To me it is important to not dismiss the fact demons still exist, indwell, oppress & torment people. That's what demons have always done & will continue until cast out eternally but we are not there yet.

The Church at large is very weak in this area,- so in general, fear, unbelief (as Jesus pointed out,) and what all- disqualifies one to not only truly discern, or truly keeps from setting people free to where we are more willing to deny addressing this?
Parents in the Bible were particularly desperate for their children to be set free, as they should be.
We cannot ignore the fact based on many Scriptural accounts, it seemed unclean spirits in people were not uncommon
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

GoodGirl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 am
It feels extra real because some related people decided I had a demon about six months ago or so, for not falling in line on certain issues.
Our daughter was in a mental health facility due to depression. She is 15 years old. The things people are saying behind our backs is troubling.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:45 am
It feels extra real because some related people decided I had a demon about six months ago or so, for not falling in line on certain issues.
Our daughter was in a mental health facility due to depression. She is 15 years old. The things people are saying behind our backs is troubling.
I'm so sorry your experiencing this pain and especially for her actually living in it. Did the facility help in any way,? Christians speculate a lot about these things, try to not take it to heart. Would you feel comfortable sharing her name to pray for her?

When I was ,15 I was unhappy but not what they would call cc clinically depressed. It is part of what led me to the Lord but I realize root causes of depression can come from many sources- I used to assume it to always be demonic attacks or oppression but there's just been souch come out about depression over the years and my heart goes out to you and others, such a painful journey.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:45 am
Oh Steve, I am so sorry. And I will be praying for her, as well as you and your family. Try not to dwell on what people are saying.

We had someone close to us that had a teen daughter who was having severe depression and was admitted to a psych ward in a local hospital. There were some overzealous people, not even close to the situation, who made the claim she was demon processed. There was a lot of gossip about her actions, as well. To be frank, even though, I was just a bystander, it made me angry at those who were diagnosing her as demon possessed, when they didn't even know the young lady very well. As she exited her teen years, she overcame her issues, later married and had a family. One thing she did not do, was stay within the Anabaptist community. Years later her sister told me that the hurt caused by the people in her church and others was very hard for the young lady to overcome.
0 x
steve-in-kville

I don't want to turn this into a conservative Mennonite bashing thread, but yes, I have seen similar situations as Grace mentioned. I am of the persuasion that every strict religious environment has this issue, Anabaptist or not.
1 x

GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

Steve, I’m sorry too.

I have a young adult child with health issues, as well as emotional.

One thing I’ll never forget, is in the worst of it, a lady pulled me aside, to tell me that if we just confessed the sins in our life (whatever they may be~ not like she had any specific ideas), that our child would be healed. So basically we were at fault for what our child was going through (and still goes through).

The lady used herself as an example & said whenever she got sick with a cold, she would pray for God to reveal her hidden sin, so she could repent, and sure enough~ within a week or so, her cold would be gone. So obviously that was what we needed to do too.

I didn’t tell her my colds go away in about a week or so too, without figuring out my ‘hidden sins.’ :?

It wouldn’t have hit so hard if it hadn’t come at such a low time.
2 x
steve-in-kville

People can be odd. I told this story before... my SIL got breast cancer at a young age and her parents were convinced it was because of her "rebellious spirit." She left a toxic home to live with a cousin in another state. That deemed her rebellious.
0 x

Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Sometimes when these topics come up, I get out my David Bercot book "A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs". Numerous topics spanning the first 300 years of the Church's beliefs & practices.
In general, what I conclude I'd that casting out demons was "common" and not necessarily by priests- I think of the example of "the 70" that Jesus sent out which came back excited that they had power over the demons (which Jesus told them to rather be glad that their names are written in the book of life).

Reading several pages in the book of what Christians were encountering and casting out "a lot" leaves me feeling this is an area that Christianity in general shys away from today ,(with exceptions of some I know of) and people that have not been baptized and received the Holy Spirit are pretty much open prey to the demonic realm, either by harassing or actual possession. I also read cases where certain activities can invite that- but not necessarily- they look for people- to harass & dwell in.

Today we seem to by & large dismiss these possibilities. We are vastly different than "The Church" from it's beginning on awareness and dealing with it which was commonplace.

Doesn't Satan,& his demons just love how ignorant and uncomfortable we are with it so they get to victimize people and not cast out?
1 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

Valerie, I think you miss the point a few of us are making.

I'm not saying there aren't demons. I'm saying from what I know about it, unfortunately it is not as simple as any godly person saying "be gone" and it works. I don't have all or even remotely MANY of the answers. Maybe for the average person, i.e. the typical sinner, our faith, our saying 'no' suffices. I don't know.

But I do know this. You might not agree with Catholicism, I'm okay with that. You can't deny they've clearly had experience with it. And if they restrict exorcisms to a handful of carefully selected, carefully educated and trained, (and I think this VERY significant) carefully WATCHED OVER BY OTHERS including the local bishop it's because it is hard, and dangerous.

Respectfully, there's a lot of 'handy' people I still won't let upgrade my electrical service, why would I want just anyone doing an exorcism?
And we do KNOW, let me repeat, we KNOW plenty of cases of people suffering at the hands of folks "claiming' they are fighting demon possessions.
So since damage can be done, let's be like doctors, who first in the Hippocratic Oath say "first, do no harm".
0 x
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

Valerie,
Sorry I somehow missed your post above.
I’ll PM you.
0 x