Exorcisms?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: Exorcisms?

Post by JayP »

I will risk ticking people off.
We have people discussing demon possession as though they are experts.
At best fruitless at worst dangerous.

Please note, I am not saying I disbelieve in powers and principalities.
I am saying a group of anonymous posters is an ineffective forum.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

JayP wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:41 pm I will risk ticking people off.
We have people discussing demon possession as though they are experts.
At best fruitless at worst dangerous.

Please note, I am not saying I disbelieve in powers and principalities.
I am saying a group of anonymous posters is an ineffective forum.
I don't claim to be an expert, I just relied on Jesus teachings about it, reading early Church writers, and from our pentecostal background, testimonies. There are Mennonites involved in Deliverance ministries I have listened to, and learned about Orthodox exorcisms ,so forgive me if you're referring to me since I've been the most vocal when this came up. I was taught spiritual warfare and the importance of praying for discernment decades sgo. It is not a topic I feel ignorant about and I don't get ticked off easily so please don't concern yourself about that. Steve asked the question so it is a discussion topic I'm accustomed to but not ,"experienced" in actual exorcism-
1 x
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

So can someone clarify the difference between a "spirit of oppression" or bondage and someone being demon possessed? Does this make a difference in how we relate?
0 x
Verity
Affiliation: NFC

Post by Verity »

Our daughter was in a mental health facility due to depression. She is 15 years old. The things people are saying behind our backs is troubling.
[/quote]

I'm sorry about this, Steve. Mental and emotional health does tend to be a misunderstood area in general. We've had several family members with depression and emotional struggles. I'd be really slow to say that depression is the result of an individual's sin. Sins of others can contribute to a person becoming depressed though, thinking of those who are abused or slandered.

We have a wise God-fearing doctor who often suggests a remedy for depression that I admire: when the sun is shining, take your loved one out to the sunniest spot to lay on a quilt on the ground. Then have them listen to a recording of the Scriptures for at least thirty minutes. If the sun last (kinda rare this time of the year...) do it several times a day. It can make a beautiful difference and does no harm.

I pray for the day when God's people will respond in love and grace to the weak and wounded among us- that's what our Lord calls us to do, but somehow gossip and judgement are the default mode.

Continued prayers for you and your daughter. A girl faces so many questions at that age... :hug:
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Verity wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:02 pm
Continued prayers for you and your daughter. A girl faces so many questions at that age... :hug:
Thank you. And welcome to the forum 8-)
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!