Amish Mennonite Categorization

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Amish Mennonite Categorization

Post by ken_sylvania »

JayP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:09 am That seems about normal. The App split was not “brutal” being mainly over the internet.
And I think the groups not sharing pulpits seems about right in that Eastern has no NEED for those other ministers, and the new group wants to reinforce the can go it alone. I wonder where App will send their youth for Winter Bible school. I would think Numedia does not allow any internet usage while students are there. Would App be okay with that?
Appalachian runs their own youth Bible School. I think they maybe rent the building that Hope uses.
I'm not sure if they have an equivalent to Regional Winter Bible School but I'm assuming your reference to WBS was referring to Numidia/Ashland rather than Regional WBS.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:39 am
JayP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:09 am That seems about normal. The App split was not “brutal” being mainly over the internet.
And I think the groups not sharing pulpits seems about right in that Eastern has no NEED for those other ministers, and the new group wants to reinforce the can go it alone. I wonder where App will send their youth for Winter Bible school. I would think Numedia does not allow any internet usage while students are there. Would App be okay with that?
Appalachian runs their own youth Bible School. I think they maybe rent the building that Hope uses.
I'm not sure if they have an equivalent to Regional Winter Bible School but I'm assuming your reference to WBS was referring to Numidia/Ashland rather than Regional WBS.
I don't know about Appalachian, but Northeast conference rents our (Hope's) Bible school building, which moved in the last year to another larger former public school building that has been renovated; same sort of building that our old one was. It could be that Applachian does also. We need to do something besides have a 3-weeks per year event in our expensive building in order to have it even half make sense what we pay to buy, renovate, and maintain the building. We have had at least one speaker at church from Northeast (brother in law of one of our ministers), and one of our schoolteachers is Northeast. It seems that although NE is a little to the conservative of Pilgrim, they have a similar openness to relating with other conservative groups.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 am
I don't know about Appalachian, but Northeast conference rents our (Hope's) Bible school building, which moved in the last year to another larger former public school building that has been renovated; same sort of building that our old one was. It could be that Applachian does also. We need to do something besides have a 3-weeks per year event in our expensive building in order to have it even half make sense what we pay to buy, renovate, and maintain the building. We have had at least one speaker at church from Northeast (brother in law of one of our ministers), and one of our schoolteachers is Northeast. It seems that although NE is a little to the conservative of Pilgrim, they have a similar openness to relating with other conservative groups.
What happened with the Ebenezer building? Who owns that now?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:03 pm
mike wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:50 am
What happened with the Ebenezer building? Who owns that now?
Garbers/Living Springs joint school bought it, apparently they outgrew their old school building.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

Yes MidAtlantic was the Bomberger split. Those churches left essentially because Eastern now wanted to move further conservative [that is a lousy word to describe it but I think in these contexts we all use liberal and conservative descriptively and not with connotation) that where Eastern was after formation. In that the LMC discipline allowed the radio and EPMC now wanted to axe it.

So MidAtlantic just wanted to stay put, while EPMC wanted to “regain ground”.

Purely off the top of my head, of the five. I shops founding Eastern, Bomberger went with MidAtlantic, Gingerich went with Pilgtim.
Ben Eshbach and Isaac Sensenig died in EPMC. Simon Bucher, the fifth, died a few years after EPMC was established.

Just interesting that is you consider Bucher a non qualifier by his death shortly after, EPMC lost half the bishops that started it.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:20 pm Purely off the top of my head, of the five. I shops founding Eastern, Bomberger went with MidAtlantic, Gingerich went with Pilgtim.
Ben Eshbach and Isaac Sensenig died in EPMC. Simon Bucher, the fifth, died a few years after EPMC was established.
If I'm not mistaken, Sensenig was the one that pushed hard for premillennial eschatology and 7-age dispensationalism?
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

While Isaac was definitely strongly pre, I would not agree about a “hard push” being the right description.
IMHO, EPMC is strong on there are not being official doctrinal positions.
Isaac was no stronger than Merle Ruth was for the ah position.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:41 pm While Isaac was definitely strongly pre, I would not agree about a “hard push” being the right description.
IMHO, EPMC is strong on there are not being official doctrinal positions.
Isaac was no stronger than Merle Ruth was for the ah position.
Ah… I’m trying to think of who I thought was hard into pre. Pilgrim maybe?
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

Don’t think too hard. You could visit six Eastern or Pilgrim churches in a row and come away thinking pre is a fixed position. I would guess the groups are easily 70% pre, but that does not mean it’s a position you have to hold. And it was not frequently preached.

Interestingly, I think Merle Ruth who was viewed (maybe he has passed I think?) as one of the most persuasive ah preachers was I think from Lebanon county district and STAYED Eastern following the Pilgrim split. I could be fuzzy on that.

For what it is worth, if presses I would vote ah, but really am troubled that folks want to argue Revelation as though there is a way to prove anything. What a great idea, let’s split Christians over interpretation of something that will or will not happen that we have no control over. It seems like a church split because we disagree what color that bathroom was in the Istanbul airport.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Interestingly enough, both you and I are in churches which hold fast to the historic ah position.
0 x