Cons. Anabaptist covering practices

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Cons. Anabaptist covering practices

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:58 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:42 pm As an outsider to this topic, it seems to me the word headcovering is a poor term for what I have seen worn as literal headcoverings. Sort of like being sprinkled rather than immersed in water baptism.

Is there a difference among Anabaptists on what the headcovering represents ? I have heard different meanings.
For sure. Some clearly think of it as primarily symbolic or emblematic, without much thought as to whether it actually covers anything, and others appear to see it as an actual covering (which is also symbolic).
While others apparently pray and/or prophesy in their sleep.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:08 pm
In Eastern anything other than a cap style covering is frowned on. This includes while sleeping and after washing the hair (ladies are to kinda perch their covering on top and hope it stays...). Maybe 15 years ago there was a strong movement to make sure that ladies were never wearing flowing veils at home (after hair washing or to sleep) because it "could undermine consistent practice". Some did anyway, especially those who had always worn a veil to sleep in, but they kept it quite.
For some reason I have a problem with other men (those in leadership) telling women what to wear on their heads and otherwise, in the privacy of a bedroom. (I heard that PJ's on women is also forbidden) The bedroom is to be shared with a wife's husband and NO ONE else! What happens in the bedroom and what the woman (or man) wears is no business of another man, even church leaders, in my opinion. Many years ago I worked with an Eastern young lady, who was also a bride to be. The outfits she purchased at Victoria's Secret for her wedding night, certainly would not have meshed well with a covering.
For some reason when I think of head coverings and veils in the bedroom I think of Arabian Nights like Princess Jasmin from Aladdin :lol:

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:33 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:42 pm As an outsider to this topic, it seems to me the word headcovering is a poor term for what I have seen worn as literal headcoverings. Sort of like being sprinkled rather than immersed in water baptism.

Is there a difference among Anabaptists on what the headcovering represents ? I have heard different meanings.
For sure. Some clearly think of it as primarily symbolic or emblematic, without much thought as to whether it actually covers anything, and others appear to see it as an actual covering (which is also symbolic).
While others apparently pray and/or prophesy in their sleep.
Many do it at night "because of the angels". Others want to pray prior to going to sleep, if they wake up during the night, and when they wake up in the morning.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Some reasons I have heard -

1) a woman must show her subjection to God's arrangement of headship by covering her head while praying or prophesying.
2) that a covering is a sign of a woman's married status.
3) 'because of the angels' - meaning ?
4) she is the reflection of man. 1 Cor 11:7 meaning ?
5) a way of being modest
6) all or some of the above

In our culture the wedding band I think has been and still is the sign of marriage status. The continued wearing beyond prophesying and praying has always puzzled me. Especially in churches that still believe women should keep quiet in their churches and if one decides to pray during non-church hours, one can always put on a headcovering for the prayer time just as men can remove their hats. So I guess the continuous wearing has more to do with telling others one is being subjective to their husband 24/7 ?

Anyway, as I mentioned before, our local MB church has head coverings worn during church services but these are all on young men in the form of ball hats all through the service. :?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:11 pmAnyway, as I mentioned before, our local MB church has head coverings worn during church services but these are all on young men in the form of ball hats all through the service. :?
But you don't think of this as a salvation issue, correct?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:15 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:11 pmAnyway, as I mentioned before, our local MB church has head coverings worn during church services but these are all on young men in the form of ball hats all through the service. :?
Correct. I don't believe salvation is based on things such as this.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:06 pm
I suggest you start a new thread and list the sort of things that you believe are salvation issues. That could make for an interesting discussion.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:01 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:06 pm
I suggest you start a new thread and list the sort of things that you believe are salvation issues. That could make for an interesting discussion.
On the other hand, it may be a very brief thread.
2 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Grace wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:08 pm
In Eastern anything other than a cap style covering is frowned on. This includes while sleeping and after washing the hair (ladies are to kinda perch their covering on top and hope it stays...). Maybe 15 years ago there was a strong movement to make sure that ladies were never wearing flowing veils at home (after hair washing or to sleep) because it "could undermine consistent practice". Some did anyway, especially those who had always worn a veil to sleep in, but they kept it quite.
For some reason I have a problem with other men (those in leadership) telling women what to wear on their heads and otherwise, in the privacy of a bedroom. (I heard that PJ's on women is also forbidden) The bedroom is to be shared with a wife's husband and NO ONE else! What happens in the bedroom and what the woman (or man) wears is no business of another man, even church leaders, in my opinion. Many years ago I worked with an Eastern young lady, who was also a bride to be. The outfits she purchased at Victoria's Secret for her wedding night, certainly would not have meshed well with a covering.
I am on our church Ministry team, and I can confirm, as far as I know, it is none of our business, and never has been.

I would wonder what the proposed enforcement mechanism for this would be. I cannot fathom this. I know our statement of faith and practice inside and out, most NMB’s do, and I have never seen anything like this. Is this really in EPMC’s, or is it just some bishop making things up as they go along.

I do not know what Eastern’s statement of faith and practice really is. I would be quite interested in knowing what it actually is. I teach history and have every Lancaster conference version that has ever been published in English, I wonder exactly what the progression was from the pre split version to the current one. The details of the Mid Atlantic separation are particularly interesting.
1 x
:hug:
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:11 pm

Some reasons I have heard -

1) a woman must show her subjection to God's arrangement of headship by covering her head while praying or prophesying.
2) that a covering is a sign of a woman's married status.
3) 'because of the angels' - meaning ?
4) she is the reflection of man. 1 Cor 11:7 meaning ?
5) a way of being modest
6) all or some of the above

In our culture the wedding band I think has been and still is the sign of marriage status. The continued wearing beyond prophesying and praying has always puzzled me. Especially in churches that still believe women should keep quiet in their churches and if one decides to pray during non-church hours, one can always put on a headcovering for the prayer time just as men can remove their hats. So I guess the continuous wearing has more to do with telling others one is being subjective to their husband 24/7 ?

Anyway, as I mentioned before, our local MB church has head coverings worn during church services but these are all on young men in the form of ball hats all through the service. :?
Wife: we wear a headcovering at all times because we are to pray and give thanks at all times (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). If women are to cover their heads when praying, it therefore follows that we are to cover full time. We do not care what style it is, by the way.
YMMV.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God