Cons. Anabaptist covering practices

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Cons. Anabaptist ordination practices

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:40 pm One of the explanations I heard is that it is difficult to wear a kapp and use an airliner headrest, or ride on bumpy, uncomfortable buses for very long hours. Yet stateside, there is no shortage of young women flying all over the place.
Overseas flights are longer, and it is more likely that people will lean back and sleep. Domestic flights not so much.
For whatever it’s worth.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:44 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:40 pm One of the explanations I heard is that it is difficult to wear a kapp and use an airliner headrest, or ride on bumpy, uncomfortable buses for very long hours. Yet stateside, there is no shortage of young women flying all over the place.
Overseas flights are longer, and it is more likely that people will lean back and sleep. Domestic flights not so much.
For whatever it’s worth.
That doesn't explain adopting the hanging veil the entire time one is in the mission, though. Presumably, missionaries do things besides just take very long flights.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:47 pm
For whatever it’s worth.
That doesn't explain adopting the hanging veil the entire time one is in the mission, though. Presumably, missionaries do things besides just take very long flights.

They don’t make their beds like ours.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

For whatever it’s worth.
The climate is so exhausting that they need to take power naps frequently, and can’t be bothered with removing the covering? :D
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:50 pm
For whatever it’s worth.
The climate is so exhausting that they need to take power naps frequently, and can’t be bothered with removing the covering? :D
I have it on good authority that all Mennonite ladies sleep in their caps! Some random lady at your exchurch said so.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:53 pm
I have it on good authority that all Mennonite ladies sleep in their caps! Some random lady at your exchurch said so.
My SIL had a simple one for bed. My wife told me this, in case one needs to know how I know ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:53 pm
RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:50 pm

News to me. I had six sisters there and married my wife from there, who also had five sisters there, and I hadn’t heard such.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Perhaps this would be a good time to reveal the One True Covering*, aka the solid black kapp, which you will find works well anywhere ranging from a short trip to town to your nearest bulk food store to a cross-country flight in United Polaris** to a more economical long-distance international flight with connections all the way to Timbuktu***.

*Due to concerns about veil size, this may be updated to the One True Visible Covering.

**Marketed as United Business.

***Upon arrival in Timbuktu, or even Bamako, it may be advised to switch to a solid blue covering instead as black veils might be associated with witchcraft.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

RZehr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:58 pm
News to me. I had six sisters there and married my wife from there, who also had five sisters there, and I hadn’t heard such.
Evidently you don’t talk to the old slightly senile ladies.
:shock:
She spoke of how we need to do it in the shower too although I think she didn’t actually know anyone who did.
1 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:40 pmOne of the explanations I heard is that it is difficult to wear a kapp and use an airliner headrest, or ride on bumpy, uncomfortable buses for very long hours. Yet stateside, there is no shortage of young women flying all over the place.
Overseas flights are longer, and it is more likely that people will lean back and sleep. Domestic flights not so much. For whatever it’s worth.
Since you mentioned it, you are absolutely correct. After a few trips in our early married life, I asked my wife to wear a soft scarf when she traveled. It has been a tremendous improvement for her comfort (read, lack of neck pain) and also saves wear on her traditional mesh cap (either she couldn't lay her head back, or she crunched her cap, or she had to wear it differently while she rested anyway. To the posted statement, I can only speak from our own experiences and that of other Anabaptist acquaintances in several other countries, but the use of scarves in the mission field is often far less about comfort on an airplane and more about practicality, common sense, and an greater emphasis on doctrine than on certain denominational identity markers which are so easily available and maintained in a 1st world culture and country with conveniences like consistent electricity and running water, and easy access to cleaning agents and replacement materials. Doesn't mean a nice traditional Mennonite coffee filter can't be had in the mission field, there are just several legitimate reasons not to. Then again, some feel there are stronger arguments to be made for maintaining denominationally specific styles and materials in the mission field as well, but I realize that all of that is also a thread of its own though, sorry for the bunny trail... :oops:

Perhaps Steve will create a poll about it someday (if he hasn't already :P ).
1 x