Three Questions For You

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Three Questions For You

Post by Ernie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:40 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:30 pmGod then went and slew a lamb and made coats for them.
If that's any indication what size our clothing ought to be - wow!
Where does it say that God slew a lamb to make coats of skin?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Soloist wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:42 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:38 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:33 pmSide question, do you believe it’s fine to wear plant derived clothing or is that wrong in your eyes?
I don't have a firm doctrine or position on that. However, I do see a few interesting things in Genesis and in the old law:

- Clothes made from plants were insufficient and instead fresh leather from a slain animal was needed instead.
- Abel brought a sacrifice of an animal, but Cain brought a sacrifice of plants. The latter was insufficient.
- It was an abomination to "mix fabrics" in the OT law.
Linen was used in the temple and Joseph was dressed in it.

As for Cain, read the account in the septuagint, veggies versus meat wasn’t why God rejected it.
Sin offering for poor would go down to a measure of flour
There must have been instructions for sacrifice given at some point prior, and Cain chose to do it his way rather than God's way. It was Cain's response to the non-acceptance of his sacrifice that made things go from bad to worse. We still have problems today accepting correction.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

silentreader wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:58 pm There must have been instructions for sacrifice given at some point prior, and Cain chose to do it his way rather than God's way. It was Cain's response to the non-acceptance of his sacrifice that made things go from bad to worse. We still have problems today accepting correction.
I don’t know for sure but I’m pretty positive that his issue was that he gave his seconds and not his firsts.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:57 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:40 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:30 pmGod then went and slew a lamb and made coats for them.
If that's any indication what size our clothing ought to be - wow!
Where does it say that God slew a lamb to make coats of skin?
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:43 pm The NET has a note on the word "skin":
'The Lord God made garments from skin': the text gives no indication of how this was done, or how they came by the skins. Earlier in the narrative (v. 7) the attempt of the man and the woman to cover their nakedness with leaves expressed their sense of alienation from each other and from God. By giving them more substantial coverings, God indicates this alienation is greater than they realize. This divine action is also ominous; God is preparing them for the more hostile environment in which they will soon be living (v. 23). At the same time, there is a positive side to the story in that God makes provision for the man’s and woman’s condition.
For various historical reasons, we assume the skins were from a lamb (and that the fruit was an apple).
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:19 pmFor various historical reasons, we assume the skins were from a lamb (and that the fruit was an apple).
I'm aware of legends, but not anything else. I don't consider legends "historical reasons" allowing us to assume anything.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Yes. I would not assert they were lambs as doctrine or historical fact.

Nonetheless people often use phrases like “when Eve ate the apple”. The important facts here are the skins or fruit, not the specific species.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Soloist wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:03 pm
silentreader wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:58 pm There must have been instructions for sacrifice given at some point prior, and Cain chose to do it his way rather than God's way. It was Cain's response to the non-acceptance of his sacrifice that made things go from bad to worse. We still have problems today accepting correction.
I don’t know for sure but I’m pretty positive that his issue was that he gave his seconds and not his firsts.
That's also possible. I'm not sure I can tell from the text exactly what the biggest problem was with his offering. It may not have been the nature of the offering but rather the attitude in which he brought it. He seems to have been very quickly offended by the rejection.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:30 pmIf a group of guys got together, and were naked, they would be ashamed, even though they probably wouldn't be lusting.
But those with same gender attraction have to work hard to not lust after muscular men who are wearing sleeveless shirts. I know some such men.

So... if I was with such men in a dormitory setting, and was aware of their struggles, I would try to stay more clothed than what I would in a dorm full of heterosexual oriented men.

Now I could think, "hey, tough". It's not my fault that you have such attraction. Or I could think, "What would I appreciate if I was in his shoes?"

I don't know what's wrong with a woman thinking/doing the same thing towards men with opposite-gender attraction. Couldn't women be encouraged to think/act this way without blaming the women for men's lust issues.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:22 pm Couldn't women be encouraged to think/act this way without blaming the women for men's lust issues.
Absolutely.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

silentreader wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:00 pm That's also possible. I'm not sure I can tell from the text exactly what the biggest problem was with his offering. It may not have been the nature of the offering but rather the attitude in which he brought it. He seems to have been very quickly offended by the rejection.
Gen 4:3  And it was so after some time that Cain brought of the fruits of the earth a sacrifice to the Lord.
Gen 4:4  And Abel also brought of the first born of his sheep and of his fatlings, and God looked upon Abel and his gifts,
Gen 4:5  but Cain and his sacrifices he regarded not, and Cain was exceedingly sorrowful and his countenance fell.
Gen 4:6  And the Lord God said to Cain, Why art thou become very sorrowful and why is thy countenance fallen?
Gen 4:7  Hast thou not sinned if thou hast brought it rightly, but not rightly divided it? be still, to thee shall be his submission, and thou shalt rule over him.
Septuagint, this is why I would think that way.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat