Three Questions For You

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Three Questions For You

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm Perhaps the real question is why someone shouldn't wear immodest or provocative clothes. My reasoning is that a Christian shouldn't because instead of portraying humility, they portray pride and vainglory.

This whole "not tempt men" thing seems like a red herring and isn't actually found in scripture anywhere. It would be amazing to see it put to rest, because it is a weapon in the arsenal of the person who wishes to teach that Christians may dress immodestly.
Amen
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:41 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:37 pm I don't leave valuable construction tools out in the open at night in a place where they might tempt a sticky-fingered passerby, but if I would leave them out, it wouldn't in any way excuse the thief who helps himself to them.
I agree with that. However, the vast majority of America doesn't have women wearing plain and modest attire like conservative Mennonites do. So I don't see much of an argument of teaching plain dress out of concern for "safety".
It didn't keep Sasha Krause or Linda Stoltzfoos safe.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

Ken wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:41 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:37 pm I don't leave valuable construction tools out in the open at night in a place where they might tempt a sticky-fingered passerby, but if I would leave them out, it wouldn't in any way excuse the thief who helps himself to them.
I agree with that. However, the vast majority of America doesn't have women wearing plain and modest attire like conservative Mennonites do. So I don't see much of an argument of teaching plain dress out of concern for "safety".
It didn't keep Sasha Krause or Linda Stoltzfoos safe.
That hits so close.
My older boys were helping look for Linda, and we have ties to Farmington too.

Just so sad… I guess unless they girls were modern-day martyrs, and folks will be led to Christ thru their terrible experiences. 🥺
0 x
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

Not to change the subject, but there was a Menno young man abducted too, right?

Does anyone know what I’m talking about? He stopped to check on a tire, I think is the way the story starts. 😞
0 x
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

GoodGirl wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:28 pm Not to change the subject, but there was a Menno young man abducted too, right?

Does anyone know what I’m talking about? He stopped to check on a tire, I think is the way the story starts. 😞
If I understand correctly, there was more to that story than was widely released. Bad company has a way of catching up with one.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:36 pm
GoodGirl wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:28 pm Not to change the subject, but there was a Menno young man abducted too, right?

If I understand correctly, there was more to that story than was widely released. Bad company has a way of catching up with one.
Agreed, about the bad company. There was a lot more to that story, some of it sordid.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30 pm Perhaps the real question is why someone shouldn't wear immodest or provocative clothes. My reasoning is that a Christian shouldn't because instead of portraying humility, they portray pride and vainglory.

This whole "not tempt men" thing seems like a red herring and isn't actually found in scripture anywhere. It would be amazing to see it put to rest, because it is a weapon in the arsenal of the person who wishes to teach that Christians may dress immodestly.
Amen
So in what way does wearing immodest or provocative clothes portray pride and vainglory without being a temptation to men?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:21 am So in what way does wearing immodest or provocative clothes portray pride and vainglory without being a temptation to men?
Many outfits are actually worn to impress other women, or else to inspire jealousy or covetousness. (Men do this too.) After all, I bet very few men particularly care about a woman wearing an expensive brand of shoes, but women definitely do notice. I doubt many men encounter much "temptation" when a woman is wearing a fancy $400 pair of shoes as opposed to a similar shoe bought for $20 at TJ Maxx.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:21 am
RZehr wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 pm

Amen
So in what way does wearing immodest or provocative clothes portray pride and vainglory without being a temptation to men?
Possibly comparing among themselves. Women competing with each other. I don't know. I'm not a woman.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:29 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:34 am Regarding modesty...

Here are various definitions for which I use the word "modesty"
1. Not wearing costly array
2. Dressing humbly, simply, and without ostentation
3. Covering the body
4. Wearing loose clothing and clothing that helps conceal a person's figure
^^^ I like Ernie's description.
Josh and RZehr, it looks like you are addressing definitions 1 and 2.

What is the reason for humans to practice #3?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"