130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: 130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Post by temporal1 »

Joy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:06 am Any reason why they couldn't protest legally?

It seems to me that we as a nation tend to get involved in other countries' business a bit too much.
This situation with Israel is hard to witness.
Israel was attacked, it’s not playing the role of hapless victim, begging for international support, it’s defending itself, demanding Hamas return hostages and end violence.

Historically, that seems very basic national earthly governance.

Witnessing biden+blinken constantly trying to insert themselves/the U.S., into the middle of it, or, directing it, is unpleasant.
The U.S. has established a pattern of preference for PROTRACTED, IMPOSSIBLE military conflicts/wars.

Iran is involved.
i’m not convinced that requires U.S. interference. Of course, biden is 100% looking for political points.
Politically sticky for him. He wants it both ways. He’s in position to guarantee PROTRACTED conflict.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: 130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Post by JimFoxvog »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:39 pm
JimFoxvog wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:12 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:09 pm There is a rather large class (and they're well funded) of professional agitators. They tend to take up various causes
I've heard that allegation before but have never seen any evidence for it.
They are called "activists." They live on grants from major foundations. Have you not met one?
The activists that I've known have not had any grants. I expect you can find evidence of a few, but they'd be a small minority. Most activists are strongly motivated by personal belief.

I've been to anti-abortion demonstrations that seem to be organized, at least in part, by a local priest. I guess the Roman Catholic Church is a "major foundation" in some sense.
1 x