130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: 130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Post by Ken »

Joy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:06 am Any reason why they couldn't protest legally?
Yes, they could legally protest in a hundred other locations within eyesight of the Capitol including the national mall right in front. But of course then no one would pay the slightest attention as there are always protests of some sort going on in the malls and plazas around DC every single day.
Joy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:06 amIt seems to me that we as a nation tend to get involved in other countries' business a bit too much.
What they are actually protesting is the fact that we, as a nation, are TOO INVOLVED in supporting Israel's war.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Yes, I strongly agree with their protest and political stance. It is a shame these stunts actually detract from the credibility of their message. They end up looking like “woke” antifa crazies. Much the same own goal is the 1/6 protesters.

I fear we are signing up for forever-war in Yemen now just as we finally got out of Afghanistan.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:22 pm Yes, I strongly agree with their protest and political stance. It is a shame these stunts actually detract from the credibility of their message. They end up looking like “woke” antifa crazies. Much the same own goal is the 1/6 protesters.

I fear we are signing up for forever-war in Yemen now just as we finally got out of Afghanistan.
Yes, the Yemen war is going to be stupid.

If they really wanted to affect change they should blockade all Yemenis and Iranian ports and block all shipping in and out of both countries (since Iran is clearly behind this) and tell Iran that if you want freedom of transit on the high seas then knock off this nonsense today. Otherwise you will be as landlocked as Afghanistan. Iran exports most of its oil by sea to China. A few oil tankers blown up at the oil terminals on Iran's gulf coast will end that pretty quickly. It would also raise gas prices in the US which is why they wouldn't ever do it. At least not in an election year.

Trying to fight a guerilla war in the deserts of Yemen would be the most stupid decision ever. When they are nothing but an impoverished proxy of Iran.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

To me it all seems a little silly. I don't begrudge them their concern over the violence but cosplaying Palestinians whilst singing an African spiritual with the lyrics changed to: "We are singing for a cease-fire now" is all just so perfectly post modern Mennonite. That is to say, it feels like they're trying to be political activists and quaint Mennonites all at once. It doesn't wear well together.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Ken

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:35 pm To me it all seems a little silly. I don't begrudge them their concern over the violence but cosplaying Palestinians whilst singing an African spiritual with the lyrics changed to: "We are singing for a cease-fire now" is all just so perfectly post modern Mennonite. That is to say, it feels like they're trying to be political activists and quaint Mennonites all at once. It doesn't wear well together.
I'm very much getting flashbacks to my Goshen College days in the 1980s when it was nuclear freeze protestors and draft registration resisters basically doing the same exact thing. Also singing the same songs. Instead of Biden they were protesting Reagan's bellicose arms buildup.

And those were mostly led by 30-something professors and such who were reminiscing about and wanting to relive the anti-Vietnam days that they were slightly too young for.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:22 pm Yes, I strongly agree with their protest and political stance. It is a shame these stunts actually detract from the credibility of their message. They end up looking like “woke” antifa crazies. Much the same own goal is the 1/6 protesters.

If they really wanted to affect change they should blockade all Yemenis and Iranian ports and block all shipping in and out of both countries (since Iran is clearly behind this) and tell Iran that if you want freedom of transit on the high seas then knock off this nonsense today. Otherwise you will be as landlocked as Afghanistan. Iran exports most of its oil by sea to China. A few oil tankers blown up at the oil terminals on Iran's gulf coast will end that pretty quickly. It would also raise gas prices in the US which is why they wouldn't ever do it. At least not in an election year.

Trying to fight a guerilla war in the deserts of Yemen would be the most stupid decision ever. When they are nothing but an impoverished proxy of Iran.
The rest of the world would take a very dim view of a general blockade against Iranian shipping. Yemen is not exactly a shipping superpower.

Starting a war with Iran would also not be a great move for the U.S., not to mention it would be illegal under international law - there is no basis for America enforcing a blockade of Iranian shipments of oil to China in international waters.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:59 pm Starting a war with Iran would also not be a great move for the U.S., not to mention it would be illegal under international law - there is no basis for America enforcing a blockade of Iranian shipments of oil to China in international waters.
Of course, it's not like the US really cares whether something is illegal if they want to do it.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:59 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm

The rest of the world would take a very dim view of a general blockade against Iranian shipping. Yemen is not exactly a shipping superpower.

Starting a war with Iran would also not be a great move for the U.S., not to mention it would be illegal under international law - there is no basis for America enforcing a blockade of Iranian shipments of oil to China in international waters.
My point is that those are the sorts of measures that would actually have some effect. Since Iran is actually behind this (and also behind Hamas as well).

Not bouncing rocks around in Yemen.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:05 pm If this group protests and has protested against all wars, I support that. But if this is one of those deals where they support this ceasefire - but are MIA when Hamas kills, then they are a PAC and it is of them pathetic to hunch under the “pacifist” label.
I can see this point of view with sympathy. But on the other hand they are protesting war carried out by their "side", with approval from their representatives, with their tax dollars none of which applies to Hamas. Imagine Iranians protesting in their capital to stop funding Hamas. I would see that in a positive light.

Here on MN Mennonites express desire to defund the war in Ukraine. Aren't these things similar?
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Joy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:06 am It seems to me that we as a nation tend to get involved in other countries' business a bit too much.
The protestors would agree we should not be providing the weapons to Israel that they are using to slaughter Palestinians.
0 x