130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Post by Ken »

Not sure if this belongs in this forum or current events. but this happened yesterday.

Here is a gift-link to the article in case the Washington Post paywall blocks access to the article: https://wapo.st/48YdTWb

Honestly, all those Mennonites wearing Palestinian keffiyehs (in the Instagram video) is something else.
Around 130 Mennonites, calling for Gaza cease-fire, arrested on Capitol Hill

By Justin Wm. Moyer
January 16, 2024 at 4:46 p.m. EST

About 130 demonstrators were arrested Tuesday on Capitol Hill at a sit-in organized by a Mennonite group calling for a cease-fire in Gaza, police and protest organizers said.

Video circulated on a social media by a group called Mennonite Action showed protesters being arrested in the Cannon House Office Building as they sang hymns or chanted “Cease fire!” and “Let Gaza live!”

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2K3TXMu ... 40c45902ea

Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.
The website of the protest’s organizer, Mennonite Action, called for “a permanent ceasefire, a release of all hostages, and an end to the occupation of Palestine.”

“Mennonite Action is a movement of Mennonites bonded by a common belief that we have a responsibility to use our voices as powerfully as possible for the cause of peace and justice,” the website said. “We know that what’s happening right now in Israel and Palestine is unprecedented and tragic. We draw on our Mennonite history of opposing war, and in providing aid and relief to Palestine and to the Middle East.”

In a statement, U.S. Capitol Police said a group of people legally entered the Cannon House Office Building after they went through screening. About 130 people were arrested and charged with “crowding, obstructing, or incommoding” under the D.C. Code, according to the agency.

“Demonstrations are not allowed inside Congressional Buildings, so when they started to protest and refused to stop, we began arresting them,” the statement said.

Jonathan Brenneman, a spokesperson for Mennonite Action, said in an interview that Mennonites are part of a “historic peace church” that opposes violence in all its forms. He said about 150 protesters were arrested inside, and there were also 200 protesters outside the building.

The group has held 40 actions at policymakers’ offices since violence broke out in Gaza, according to Brenneman. Since many Mennonites live in rural areas, they represent “a broad swath of society,” he said.

“As Christians who see Christian nationalists championing Israel’s genocide, we felt compelled to speak clearly as Christians,” he said. “To demand a cease-fire. To demand an end to U.S. military funding of the Israeli military. To call for a release of all hostages — Israeli and Palestinian — and an end to the occupation.”

This is not the first time protests calling for a cease-fire in Gaza have ended in arrests at the Cannon building. In October, around 300 Jewish protesters were arrested in the same place.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: 130 Mennonites arrested in DC for Gaza protest

Post by JimFoxvog »

My son brought this to my attention yesterday. He has been in actions for a cease-fire in the Syracuse area. And yes, he likes to wear a keffiyeh.

I don't know how effective these are, but I support them.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Personally I would support a permanent ceasefire.

But the Palestinians (or at least a majority of them) have no interest in that so I expect this will just keep going and going for decades more.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

If this group protests and has protested against all wars, I support that. But if this is one of those deals where they support this ceasefire - but are MIA when Hamas kills, then they are a PAC and it is of them pathetic to hunch under the “pacifist” label.
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:05 pm If this group protests and has protested against all wars, I support that. But if this is one of those deals where they support this ceasefire - but are MIA when Hamas kills, then they are a PAC and it is of them pathetic to hunch under the “pacifist” label.
I agree.

Whilst I strongly support a ceasefire and pretty much most of the political agenda promoted by this group, I don't think it's a good Christian witness to hold loud demonstrations and sit-ins and then arrange to get yourself arrested for trespassing. Whilst I believe there may be relevant civil rights and strongly support the right of citizens to protest, I don't think this is what nonresistant Christians who want to put forward a peace witness should be doing.

In particularly, I don't like being associated with it.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

A number of years ago the local paper ran a piece on a woman from a local MCUSA church who was heading to Washington DC to join a Mennonite peace protest. She told the paper that they were hoping to be arrested at the protest which seemed off to me.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:05 pm If this group protests and has protested against all wars, I support that. But if this is one of those deals where they support this ceasefire - but are MIA when Hamas kills, then they are a PAC and it is of them pathetic to hunch under the “pacifist” label.
If there are politicians who are allowing Hamas to kill Israeli's then yes, I think they should use their "pacifist" protests.

But as far as I know...

some politicians are against Hamas killing Israeli's but not against Israeli's killing Gazan civilians.

other politicians are against Hamas killing Israeli's and against Israeli's killing Gazan civilians.

I don't know of any politicians who support Hamas killing Israeli civilians.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Logical and amen.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Any reason why they couldn't protest legally?

It seems to me that we as a nation tend to get involved in other countries' business a bit too much.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This is an interesting case for me. I fully, 100% support what they are protesting about. I agree with the theological reasons and even their proposed solutions. I also agree citizens should have a right to protest.

I don’t agree with protesters breaking the law or intentionally getting arrested.

I do feel, however, it would very wrong if the government treated them like the 1/6 protesters: torture, indefinite detention, refusing to allow medical care or seeing a pastor. And I would be very opposed to having harsh sentences handed down like those protesters were.

A citation for trespassing? Absolutely.
0 x