Church influence of family size?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How much of an influence does/did your church have on your family size?

1- Not at all.
58%
2-
16%
3- Moderate amount.
5%
4-
21%
5- Huge influence!
No votes

Total votes: 19

eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Re: Church influence of family size?

Post by eccentric_rambler »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 am They came close to guilting people to not use any type of birth control.
I remember hearing a preacher say "Anyone who uses birth control has the spirit of an abortionist". I might lean toward that view, but think it was overstated for effect.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 am
eccentric_rambler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:46 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:44 am I've never been to any church service that weighed in one way or the other on family size. Not once.
Was not uncommon in Charity back in the day.
The group that we were part of back in the day attracted a lot of ex-Charity types. They came close to guilting people to not use any type of birth control. They had some strange views on some other stuff, too.
I've been to some Catholic church services, especially in Chile, where the priest spoke in euphemisms about the importance of having a "child-friendly family." But that is as far as I've ever seen it taken. And that wasn't so much a church directive on family size as it was a subtle reminder of the Church's official position on birth control and abortion.

I don't recall hearing anything similar in any MC, MCUSA, or CMC church that I have ever attended.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Some of us actually believe most of prevention methods cause abortion.

The things are generally social pressure on both sides. I’ve heard sermons from both sides in favor of larger families but the social pressure is the primary thing.

I know families on both sides of the debate and both sides have been suggestive to my wife. Either that she doesn’t have enough or has too many. Flack over not being able to handle post-partum or flack that she asks for help and still has children.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

A friend of mine got married a little later in life. They wanted to start a family but had a real hard time conceiving. I remember him telling me how hurtful some of the comments people made. Although well-meaning, some dug pretty deep.

Truth be told, it's no one's business anyway.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

One of the social pressures that bothers me the most is the attitude that young couples who have their first child before some arbitrary date, such as two years after marriage, are rushing things and don't care enough about their marriage.
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:22 pm One of the social pressures that bothers me the most is the attitude that young couples who have their first child before some arbitrary date, such as two years after marriage, are rushing things and don't care enough about their marriage.
That’s silly. Do they also expect them to waste a bunch of money investing into their new marriage? Buying all the latest designs and taking vacations?
We had our second on the way by year 2. Anyone who waits is likely using birth control but not always. I certainly pity anyone being harassed who can’t conceive.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:25 pm
eccentric_rambler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:22 pm One of the social pressures that bothers me the most is the attitude that young couples who have their first child before some arbitrary date, such as two years after marriage, are rushing things and don't care enough about their marriage.
That’s silly. Do they also expect them to waste a bunch of money investing into their new marriage? Buying all the latest designs and taking vacations?
We had our second on the way by year 2. Anyone who waits is likely using birth control but not always. I certainly pity anyone being harassed who can’t conceive.
But if you have a child too soon, people are looking the calander and doing the math. Don't ask me how I learned this :o
0 x

Soloist

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:38 pm But if you have a child too soon, people are looking the calander and doing the math. Don't ask me how I learned this :o
It’s shameful to have it happen and even more if you don’t seek help. To try to conceal it or like my brother, defiant.
0 x
steve-in-kville

I like to mess with people and tell them we were married in July and our oldest born in August.... of the following year 8-)
0 x

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

The idea that babies should be postponed a few years in order to “enjoy life first”, bothers me much more.
0 x