Church influence of family size?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How much of an influence does/did your church have on your family size?

1- Not at all.
58%
2-
16%
3- Moderate amount.
5%
4-
21%
5- Huge influence!
No votes

Total votes: 19

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Church influence of family size?

Post by Sudsy »

Some churches I was part of had more influence on family size than others did. I'm talking new, spiritual births in the Family of God. It depended on how evangelical they were in participating in the growth of the family of God. That is the Family that matters most.

When any church growth is only due to having more children they take to church, then I believe they have missed the opportunity these children can have in expanding the Family of God. A church that is winning the lost will be a church that has a strong focus on evangelism and training their children to evangelize. This is a problem with many ethnic Mennonite churches in our area. There are many kinds of Mennonite churches to pick from but only one or two are reaching out to the lost with salvation and discipleship.

We are not told only to make converts, but to make disciples. This, to me, would involve both making converts who become disciples and literally making disciples by way of having children. If the local church was growing biologically and these natural births were born again and involved in the supernatural births of the Spirit in others outside the biological family, then this would expand the Family of God more rapidly.

I didn't always think this way but I would suggest having big families that become born again Christians that reach out to a lost and dying world makes sense to me. I blew my chances at this and although my parents were good evangelical examples, I have not lead many to the Saviour. However, this was the way I was raised and scripture says to 'bring up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it' and I'm convinced that their path was one I should have followed and not have been such an 'on again' and 'off again' Christian when it comes to evangelism.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The current situation in most churches in America is that they both have small family sizes and are not bringing in many converts - plus, many of the children of church families aren't sticking around.

Not a great combination, and leading to seeing many churches for sale at public auctions around me.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:33 am Some groups really push the large family thing. Either it is preached on or there is a peer pressure there. These groups buy into the "keep her barefoot, in the kitchen and pregnant" idea. Others, not so much.

Most here are either in that age range or past it. Vote and discuss.
Like most things, if you wish to influence others the best way is demonstrate first.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:28 pm The current situation in most churches in America is that they both have small family sizes and are not bringing in many converts - plus, many of the children of church families aren't sticking around.

Not a great combination, and leading to seeing many churches for sale at public auctions around me.
To a great extent I think the small family sizes is an influence of our NA culture on Christians to focus on getting stuff for oneself. Having a family can make this more difficult. So when the parents are lured by the world to have stuff (materialism) and don't set any example of really caring about the eternal destination of others, the children will most naturally not have much concern beyond themselves and having the temporal enjoyment of stuff. And perhaps they see the lack of real joy in their parents and that kind of religion turns them off.

These 'name it and claim it' types of preachers often do get huge followings because they promote God wanting us to be wealthy. What I think scripture says 'people having itching ears' (tell me what I want to hear) and not tell me what I need to hear. I think we will soon see these closing too as people realize this belief system just works for the preacher as he/she takes their money and spends more than they need to on themselves. I'm surprised guys like Joel Osteen and others have kept the crowds they have when they preach 'give to get'' and so many givers are not getting. I guess it is like playing the lottery that someday you will beat all the odds and win.

Well, I better get off this side topic but will leave it with this link -
https://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles ... ity-gospel
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

barnhart wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:57 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:33 am Some groups really push the large family thing. Either it is preached on or there is a peer pressure there. These groups buy into the "keep her barefoot, in the kitchen and pregnant" idea. Others, not so much.

Most here are either in that age range or past it. Vote and discuss.
Like most things, if you wish to influence others the best way is demonstrate first.
Yes, there's no way to influence others without that. But there's a lot else that can be done, beginning with teaching the blessings of children and the value in unselfishness and sacrificial living.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

None really. We went with the flow as it were, my wife and I thinking we would take at least 6...but we neve3 got there. God gave us three. Most people assume we probably family planned, but no not really.

They just came slower than we thought.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

mike wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:19 pm

Here's another thing, a lot of time people who have children are in the trenches and don't have an outside perspective on things, where people who have a different perspective might be able to offer some wisdom that comes from observation. That said, for a person without children to become highly critical of how people are raising their children can also be very damaging and hurtful. Ask me how I know.
Don't have to, brother. I think there are a handful here that already know.

I appreciate the replies in this thread. Thank you for keeping it on track.

To share some personal stuff, I have a teenage daughter that is struggling with depression. The family has been through enough in the past four years and I can tell it is having an effect on her extra hard for some reason. This past few days have been difficult. The last thing we need is someone to tell us to "look at the bright side" or something like that. It's not that easy. Raising a family is real work. I'd appreciate the prayers.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!