Deacon Responsibilities/Expectations

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Deacon Responsibilities/Expectations

Post by Heirbyadoption »

To sort of quote Josh's Ordination thread intro/caveat:

This is a thread to discuss what CA deacons actually DO, or are EXPECTED to do. This thread is for discussion of conservative and plain Anabaptist groups only. Participants, I'm looking primarily for information than speculations or critique at this point - please share the parameters or expectations for Deacons in your particular conservative/plain anabaptist group, if you can. Thanks in advance. :D
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: Deacon Responsibilities/Expectations

Post by JayP »

In Eastern a deacon sometimes preaches although rarely runs the entire service. Exception might be a mission congregation or one that has ministry rotating through it.

The other roles are effectively being the head treasurer in that he handles brotherhood assistance needs and things of a financial nature. That includes anything from mentoring folks with financial issues to providing funds. The Deacon’s wife leads but is not the exclusive source of aid for th8ngs sisters in need have need of. For example, say a convert woman cannot sew, or organizing meals or help for a new mother that does not have help.

I would say that while in some settings the deacon is a bit more charged with handling discipline items that is NOT true in EPMC
Ministry does it collectively
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In my circles, deacons function similarly to ministers. If there are enough ministers (more than 1), they won't generally preach unless the ministers are away from home or ill.

Deacons are expected to be involved in financial matters ranging from helping a family who has lost a loved one to counseling someone with financial problems. They also are expected to address material needs (like someone who comes around a church asking for money). They do the legwork of setting up bank accounts and depositing donations.

Ministers are expected to focus on "spiritual" matters, instead of earthly ones. Most church activity that happens with the whole church staff (a Holdeman turn for ministers plus deacons), however, involves, well, the whole staff. The ministers and deacons function like peers.

Ministers handle wedding proposals/engagements, new converts who wish to be baptised, and instructing new members in a baptismal class. One could say that they administer the ordinances or sacraments, but at a communion service, the deacons will distribute the cup and bread, and participate side by side with the ministers in the footwashing. (Holdemans have the church staff washing the members' feet, not members washing each other.)

Legally speaking, the deacons are more likely to be on documents signing on behalf of the church for things like the church property's title deed, although nowadays there are usually trustees to do things like that. Overall, deacons are overloaded, and we are trying to have more church jobs assigned to other members to do specific things (like trustees who take care of the building).

Members who want to find a way to serve would do well to contact a deacon and see what is available. There is often something that can be done and the deacons are glad to share the load. I did this back when I was single and really enjoyed doing so.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

In the Brethren circles, we would average one deacon couple for every 25 people, give or take. We do spring deacon's visits, which is the mennonite equivalent of their council meeting. Also, our Lovefeast (communion) is quite a bit more involved, hence why we require so many more deacon couples.

Our current fellowship has a head deacon which is co-chair with a laity member on distribution of benevolent funds.

I have noticed that depending on the fellowship, a deacon's range of authority and power may differ.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:28 am In the Brethren circles, we would average one deacon couple for every 25 people, give or take.
25 members? 25 adult attendees? 25 persons including children?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

In our church, it appears that the deacon has the most actual work of all the ordained positions. He has to maintain the church's finances, and is the one who spearheads all the charitable work projects and assistance to widows. When our church is called on by the conference to contribute labor for work projects at our conference's Bible school building, he always goes. I don't know how much this actually happens, but I've heard it is the deacon's job to mediate personal relationship disputes. Our deacon also preaches regularly, maybe slightly less often than ministers or bishops, not sure. I wouldn't think it would hurt to have more deacons, but that's not the tradition.

The deacon's financial records are audited by two men from the congregation annually. Also, we have trustees and the school board that manage the church and school properties, and two local representatives who manage our congregation's medical claims and are liaisons for our medical cost sharing group. So it's not like the deacon does everything finance- and work-related, but he sure is a busy man, on top of running his own farm and business.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:30 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:28 am In the Brethren circles, we would average one deacon couple for every 25 people, give or take.
Good question. If I do my math right, most likely 25 members.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:30 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:28 amIn the Brethren circles, we would average one deacon couple for every 25 people, give or take.
Ernie, do one or two of your brothers act in a deacon capacity, or is your group small enough that you can each just address needs as they arise?
0 x