Cons. Anabaptist ordination practices

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Cons. Anabaptist ordination practices

Post by steve-in-kville »

What pushed me over the edge at times was situations where pedigree and economic status determined what rules applied. Yet, I find this in every organization I've ever been part of, to one extent or another. That plus pecking orders. You'll have that everywhere, too.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:54 am What pushed me over the edge at times was situations where pedigree and economic status determined what rules applied. Yet, I find this in every organization I've ever been part of, to one extent or another. That plus pecking orders. You'll have that everywhere, too.
This seems to be a disease present in certain groups. For a more egregious example, imagine an iron-fisted bishop whose son nonetheless acquires a red sports car (back in the 1970s), and is mysteriously unable to discipline him.

I should note he is now a quite successful <insert theological-conservative Mennonite denomination here> pastor now, and rumour has it the "family exception" to the rules prevails there as well.

I really do not undestand the mindset or spiritual life of these kind of people. What is their relationship with Jesus like? Do they think God is a respecter of persons, and thinks wealth and family pedigree count something to God?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

How annoying… my post got lost. I’ll remake it a little later
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:35 am The amount of "hazing" that conservative Anabaptists do of new converts is ridiculous. Like requiring a family that wants to join to wear a cape dress and kapp for a year, consistently throughout the week, before being accepted as members, when their own members don't do that. A friend of mine got subjected to this.

A few years later, that church dropped the kapp, and its women are now sporting smaller and smaller "veils" (more like doilies). My friend is now fond of pointing out that his wife continues to consistently wear an appropriately sized head covering. To use his words, "Our righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees."
About 20 years ago, I as a Mennonite joined a Beachy Amish-Mennonite church and began working for Beachy non-profits. An administrator suggested that I begin wearing hooks and eyes on my suit coat to better identify with my new tribe. (my words)
A year later he was wearing buttons on his suitcoat because his church changed the rules. :shock:
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I suggest these posts about headcovering styles be moved to this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=193564#p193564
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:36 pm I suggest these posts about headcovering styles be moved to this thread.

viewtopic.php?p=193564#p193564
They have instead been moved here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6425

(This was done without the use of the lot.)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited