Cons. Anabaptist ordination practices

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Cons. Anabaptist ordination practices

Post by silentreader »

thebluffs wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:07 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:38 am
thebluffs wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:27 am In our congregation, nominations are given by members - the lot is determined by "natural break" for example - if one name is given 60 times, and 2 names 3 times and two times, we would move forward without a lot. Candidates are then interviewed to determine sense of call, as well as to determine theological and practical positions. Once that is completed, our advisory team would recommend the candidates to move forward. Candidates would be licensed with view to ordain for a two year term to allow them time for training and preparation. A formal ordination service follows at the two year mark based on a recommendation by our congregations leadership team and approval by congregational ballot to validate the sense of call. (very abbreviated summary)
I like this. What sort of church is this?
Ernie -it is an unaffiliated Mennonite church in Ontario - Faith Mennonite.
I thought that sounded familiar.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:38 am I like this. What sort of church is this?
Interesting. I have in-laws that go to Faith. Was not aware of how they did ordinations.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
thebluffs
Affiliation:

Post by thebluffs »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:03 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:38 am I like this. What sort of church is this?
Interesting. I have in-laws that go to Faith. Was not aware of how they did ordinations.

the two year licensing period is something that's been done for the last 12 years or so.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

thebluffs wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:15 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:03 pm

the two year licensing period is something that's been done for the last 12 years or so.
Maybe this should be a thread all its own, but when we were in a KMF setting, what was the point of "licensing" men that were going into the mission field? I've seen directories that list the ordained, and then have a handful of men that were licensed? Never understood this. Please expound.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Probably has to do with visas and generally interacting with a host nation. They want to see credentials that someone is officially a pastor.

More plain groups tend to only go places on work or non pastor visas.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 am Maybe this should be a thread all its own, but when we were in a KMF setting, what was the point of "licensing" men that were going into the mission field? I've seen directories that list the ordained, and then have a handful of men that were licensed? Never understood this. Please expound.
It may also have to do with the specific time period of the assignment and the fact that they are not serving their home congregation. If they come back after two or three years, the license would expire and they wouldn't necessarily be part of the ministerial body at their home church. Of course they could be ordained at that point, either for the mission field or to serve their home congregation.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:43 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 am Maybe this should be a thread all its own, but when we were in a KMF setting, what was the point of "licensing" men that were going into the mission field? I've seen directories that list the ordained, and then have a handful of men that were licensed? Never understood this. Please expound.
It may also have to do with the specific time period of the assignment and the fact that they are not serving their home congregation. If they come back after two or three years, the license would expire and they wouldn't necessarily be part of the ministerial body at their home church. Of course they could be ordained at that point, either for the mission field or to serve their home congregation.
There could be a whole discussion of how many plain groups treat the mission field differently from stateside life. For example, this idea that laypersons can preach (probably by giving them special charges to preach or administrate that apply only to the field and not to their role in their home church, but maybe even beyond that). There are other things as well, such as the hanging veil for women being acceptable on the field but unacceptable stateside, which is my church's official position. (There are a number of unofficial exceptions as well.) There are probably many more examples of differences that exist between the two spheres.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:53 pmThere could be a whole discussion of how many plain groups treat the mission field differently from stateside life. For example, this idea that laypersons can preach (probably by giving them special charges to preach or administrate that apply only to the field and not to their role in their home church, but maybe even beyond that).
Technically, a church with no active ministers will often have the laity preaching as well, but you do raise a good point. In the most extreme examples, missionaries who are laypeople will conduct weddings, communions, baptisms, and even ordinations overseas (although some CA groups consider an ordination to grave of a matter to leave up to a missionary, and will arrange to have bishops fly to Timbuktu to conduct the ordination). (Why a bishop must be present at an ordination is an interesting question for me; was it necessary for bishops to be ordained by other bishops for the first Anabaptist? Did they need to be ordained in the apostolic succession? Hmm.)
There are other things as well, such as the hanging veil for women being acceptable on the field but unacceptable stateside, which is my church's official position.
One of the explanations I heard is that it is difficult to wear a kapp and use an airliner headrest, or ride on bumpy, uncomfortable buses for very long hours. Yet stateside, there is no shortage of young women flying all over the place.
(There are a number of unofficial exceptions as well.) There are probably many more examples of differences that exist between the two spheres.
Definitely a good thread for another topic.

Another question is why more new church plants aren't conducted as "missions" in America. The Holdemans did that with their church plant in NYC, which has had good success as a "mission".
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:40 pm(although some CA groups consider an ordination to grave of a matter to leave up to a missionary, and will arrange to have bishops fly to Timbuktu to conduct the ordination). (Why a bishop must be present at an ordination is an interesting question for me; was it necessary for bishops to be ordained by other bishops for the first Anabaptist? Did they need to be ordained in the apostolic succession? Hmm.)
Yes, we have some people in our church as well as advisors for our church from Beachy Amish-Mennonite churches who believe that a minister cannot ordain a Bishop or an Elder. The succession thing is really important to some folks. I get their point, but for some reason the distinction is not important to me.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:40 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:40 pm(although some CA groups consider an ordination to grave of a matter to leave up to a missionary, and will arrange to have bishops fly to Timbuktu to conduct the ordination). (Why a bishop must be present at an ordination is an interesting question for me; was it necessary for bishops to be ordained by other bishops for the first Anabaptist? Did they need to be ordained in the apostolic succession? Hmm.)
Yes, we have some people in our church as well as advisors for our church from Beachy Amish-Mennonite churches who believe that a minister cannot ordain a Bishop or an Elder. The succession thing is really important to some folks. I get their point, but for some reason the distinction is not important to me.
Is it a carryover from Catholicism? The whole idea that the legitimacy of an ordained leader comes from who ordained them.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3