Finding the Balance

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Finding the Balance

Post by MaxPC »

This thread has me exploring some thoughts on how the leaders of a fellowship/church can maintain the balance between teaching and application, for example on the Biblical reasons and meaning of the headcovering and modesty.

Clearly some groups drift away from those teachings. Some adhere consistently. What are some balanced approaches to educating the membership on authentic Biblical teachings regarding these topics?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Re: Finding the Balance

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote:This thread has me exploring some thoughts on how the leaders of a fellowship/church can maintain the balance between teaching and application, for example on the Biblical reasons and meaning of the headcovering and modesty.

Clearly some groups drift away from those teachings. Some adhere consistently. What are some balanced approaches to educating the membership on authentic Biblical teachings regarding these topics?
Any thoughts?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

More 'brotherhood', and not so much 'leaderhood'. (This is where I'm at now, because I have become very disillusioned with statements of conduct that say "We do not approve..." instead of "We agree that...")
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
thebluffs
Affiliation:

Post by thebluffs »

Neto wrote:More 'brotherhood', and not so much 'leaderhood'. (This is where I'm at now, because I have become very disillusioned with statements of conduct that say "We do not approve..." instead of "We agree that...")
While I agree with your phrasing, I think part of the balance issue comes from a large percentage of church members opting out of seriously caring about the relationship between teaching and application. We can say "we agree that" all we want, but it will only matter if we actually mean it and are committed to living it out in our daily walks.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The only way to sustain a Christian lifestyle and practice is for the membership to actually care about educating each other and supporting each other in maintaining such a lifestyle. It doesn't work well as a top down thing, unless you like being in a group with a couple of people basically micro-managing everyone else's lives.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

When it is time to lead and when is it time to mentor?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

MaxPC wrote:When it is time to lead and when is it time to mentor?
Separating the two is not a good thing in my opinion.

Telling me without showing me (living it) does little.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

To me, a disdain for leadership is unbiblical- Christ has set His Church to have leadership, and there is much instruction to them- but I have always appreciated these words by Apostle Peter:

1 Peter 5King James Version (KJV)

5 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being examples to the flock.

4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:This thread has me exploring some thoughts on how the leaders of a fellowship/church can maintain the balance between teaching and application, for example on the Biblical reasons and meaning of the headcovering and modesty.

Max this is an interesting question coming from a Catholic Believer- reason being, isn't it true that the Pope has the overall say in such matters? If not, please correct me.

You brought up the headcovering here- when I was at the "Cleveland Right to Life" (basically started by the Catholic Church I think) there were Nuns present- since they still wear a distinct veiling, totally covering their heads and hanging way down, I felt comfortable asking why Catholics women no longer wear a covering when they are going to Church- (I remember when I was young, every Catholic woman did). The Nun replied that it was because the Pope came out in 1978 saying women no longer needed to wear them. I asked her why, and she said because women were protesting it- and you have to chose your battles carefully-

How do you personally feel about that? How would the Pope then, determine a Scriptural practice to be no longer necessary,I think this is staying on topic-
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote:

Max this is an interesting question coming from a Catholic Believer- reason being, isn't it true that the Pope has the overall say in such matters? If not, please correct me.

You brought up the headcovering here- when I was at the "Cleveland Right to Life" (basically started by the Catholic Church I think) there were Nuns present- since they still wear a distinct veiling, totally covering their heads and hanging way down, I felt comfortable asking why Catholics women no longer wear a covering when they are going to Church- (I remember when I was young, every Catholic woman did). The Nun replied that it was because the Pope came out in 1978 saying women no longer needed to wear them. I asked her why, and she said because women were protesting it- and you have to chose your battles carefully-

How do you personally feel about that? How would the Pope then, determine a Scriptural practice to be no longer necessary,I think this is staying on topic-
I'll keep this short and simplified instead of writing a textbook in order to avoid distracting from the main theme. There are differing levels of authority in Catholic World. Papal infallibility only kicks in when addressing the immutable non-negotiables such as teachings on God, the Bible, and Core Doctrine. Papal Infallibility is rarely invoked as Core Doctrine is set in stone and very rarely does anyone within the Church debate it.

Beyond that authority is the collegial authority of the Magisterium in which Bishops work together (ideally) to develop teachings that apply the Core Doctrine and traditions within the worldwide Catholic Church. So authority within Catholic World depends upon the category of the content being addressed. If it's a tradition and not Core Doctrine, the collegial approach (mentoring) is the method used. The Pope gives input like the rest of the Bishops.

To sum up, headcovering was not considered Core Doctrine. Ironically, as soon as the next generation came along, the young women have begun covering at Mass again.

Back to the topic: how do Anabaptists find the balance between leadership "pronouncements" and the mentoring of brotherhood?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)