Betrothal period in context of Jesus teachings

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Betrothal period in context of Jesus teachings

Post by Soloist »

Assuming you believe Jesus is referring to the betrothal period when He teaches reasons to permit divorce, how would you apply this teaching to your children if that’s what you believe?

By necessity, This question is closed in to anyone who does not believe in a betrothal period being what Jesus was referring to.

This would also exclude myself. If there actually is anyone on here, feel free to ask questions of them.
If you happen to know someone who believes this way and can ask them, that would be acceptable as well.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Betrothal period in context of Jesus teachings

Post by RZehr »

I believe it was talking about a betrothal. Is this thread to discuss whether or not betrothal is the correct understanding?
0 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

RZehr wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:59 pm I believe it was talking about a betrothal. Is this thread to discuss whether or not betrothal is the correct understanding?
It’s about how you apply the teaching to the engagement period.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Found this in a random search:

What is difference between betrothal and engagement?

Unlike an engagement, which sets an intention to marry, a betrothal ceremony requires the couple to commit to marry. During the ceremony, a man and a woman pledge themselves to a future union. Although it is not legally binding by secular law, it is under canon law.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Laudatefan
Affiliation: Nondenom

Post by Laudatefan »

The difference between a betrothal and marriage is that a marriage is physically consummated whereas a betrothal is a pledge.

My understanding is that in the Bible the word for divorce is something like "break." To "divorce" in Bible-speak then is simply to end a relationship: a marriage or engagement. Only context tells you if it's ending a marriage or a betrothal. This is different from English where a divorce only applies to a marriage.

I would tell my children to not to "break" any relationship if possible. But to "break" a marriage is obviously far worse.
1 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Laudatefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:02 am The difference between a betrothal and marriage is that a marriage is physically consummated whereas a betrothal is a pledge.
Would you see it not as a marriage until it was consummated?
My understanding is that in the Bible the word for divorce is something like "break." To "divorce" in Bible-speak then is simply to end a relationship: a marriage or engagement. Only context tells you if it's ending a marriage or a betrothal. This is different from English where a divorce only applies to a marriage.
Many words require context to tell you what it means. We do it naturally in English from childhood education and are taught what it meant in Greek as adults.
There is always going to be a certain level of speculation when discussing ancient dialects.
I would tell my children to not to "break" any relationship if possible. But to "break" a marriage is obviously far worse.
Thank you for answering the main question.
0 x
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mrbilliam »

Betrothal is not merely an engagement in ancient Judaism (Biblical times). It is a marriage.
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_ ... rothal.htm

The marriage has two stages, first the betrothal, where they are husband and wife. The groom then leaves his bride at her parent's house, and then goes off to build a home.

The bride awaits the bridegroom to return.

We the church (feminine) are in a betrothal state, and await the bridegroom to return. We are the bride of Christ, but he will return for his bride soon (hopefully).
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mrbilliam, thanks for sharing. Would you consider the at any present day Mennonites practice betrothal as Jesus talked about it?
0 x