ChurchIndex.org

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: ChurchIndex.org

Post by Ernie »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:40 am
Ernie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:28 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:49 am What are the criteria to be listed?
https://map.churchindex.org/church_criteria.php
Is there a possibility to get clarification on the following points:
We believe it is important to be unspotted from the world and separated unto God. We believe it is important to not resist evil but rather return good for evil. We believe it is important to not lay up treasure on earth but rather lay up treasures in heaven.
These two things are principles, which can be applied in a variety of ways.

We believe it is important to be unspotted from the world and separated unto God.
Some churches in the BMA insist on discernment in media but don't outright ban things like television, radio, youtube, or internet forums. Other, more conservative fellowships would say that discernment isn't enough, and cutting out media altogether (except for heavily curated media produced or compiled by other anabaptist churches) is necessary to observation of the first principle. Is it good enough to remain unspotted from the world, or should there be active, preventative steps take to avoid exposure to the world as well?
We believe it is important to not lay up treasure on earth but rather lay up treasures in heaven.
A common purse Christian community could accuse any average church of failing to apply the second principle if the families in that church purchase private property. John D's church has in their doctrinal statement a direct statement that investments are not something Christians should pursue, but other Mennonite fellowships have members with retirement funds, insurance, or the ever popular "real estate investments". What would ChurchIndex.org consider to be a church that is not applying the principle of storing up treasures? What would they consider a church that DOES rightly apply it?

I don't think I know of any church that meets these two criteria perfectly except for Hutterite colonies, and since most of them aren't particularly looking to attract new members, I'm not sure they would be of any use on this list.
These are good questions. Some churches teach and expect certain practices, but don't require everything from members. There are certain expected practices that are a test of membership and other expected practices that are not. Some churches allow some rebellious, trendy fashionable, militant people to be part of the church even though these things are taught against in the church. I personally don't think this is good or appropriate for a church to permit this, but realize that most Plain Anabaptists tolerate some of this. I still think it is better if a person goes to a Plain Anabaptist church that allows these sorts of attitudes in the church, as compared with Augustinian churches that permit members to be involved in military service, policing, and divorce & remarriage. If we eliminated all churches that allow for some carnality, the church I am part of would need to be eliminated, as well as John D. Martin's, as well as most other Anabaptist churches. The list would be very small - so small that there would be no need for a Church Index.

Those of us involved with Church Index come from a variety of churches. We draw the lines at different places in our churches but we still promote the same principles. If we heard that a church was buying up stocks, buying up properties for investment purposes, allowing police to be part of the church, etc., we would likely un-list them.

This list tends to sort out the churches that we feel affinity with.
Stranger and pilgrim living, rather than conforming to the world.
Modest and simple attire, rather than revealing and fashionable clothes.
Head-covering for women, and not for men.
Not wearing jewelry or outward adornment, but adorning ourselves with good works.
Not swearing oaths, but radical truth-telling.
Marriage for life, not divorcing and remarrying.
Self-examination before communion, as well as collective discernment.
Committed local church life, and church discipline.
A community-based church model that shares with those in need.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ernie wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:27 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:39 pm And where are you getting your data ? CLP will exclude BMS.
We are inquiring with BMA about using their database.
You do know they have it out on the internet with no sign in needed?
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:40 am
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:39 pm And where are you getting your data ? CLP will exclude BMS.
I think the idea is seekers could find churches in one place. An average seeker isn’t going to even realise which conferences, fellowships, and alliances to go search for.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:07 pm
I think the idea is seekers could find churches in one place. An average seeker isn’t going to even realise which conferences, fellowships, and alliances to go search for.
I was wondering why he simply did not include information that is already available in the public sphere.

Merry Christmas, Josh! I’m in Alaska today.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:09 pm

I was wondering why he simply did not include information that is already available in the public sphere.

You have family up there? Or you’re just trying to catch Santa as close to the North Pole as you can?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Trying to stop Santa from heading down? Or getting video proof?
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Sounds like Ernie wanted consent from someone at the BMA before they are listed on the site.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:14 pm
Sounds like Ernie wanted consent from someone at the BMA before they are listed on the site.
It would be really great if he got a contact within BMA who then kept him apprised of updates. These kind of directories tend to go stale quickly.

The Holdemans publish a yearbook annually with all contact info, service times and so forth. It has never been put online.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I see a map with list of church names. I'm not aware that I can access more information than that.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus

Ernie wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:36 pm
I see a map with list of church names. I'm not aware that I can access more information than that.
Try This:

https://biblicalmennonite.com/wp-conten ... en-web.pdf
0 x