The Anabaptist perception towards a "money mindset"!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How much fo you agree with this list?

Strongly agree.
No votes
Somewhat agree.
58%
Neutral.
8%
Somewhat disagree.
25%
Strongly disagree.
8%

Total votes: 12

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: The Anabaptist perception towards a "money mindset"!

Post by Josh »

No, we aren’t a rich enough society to do it. There aren’t enough resources to give every person round the clock care for the last 10 years of life. Particularly with low birth rates, and particularly when massive resources are being expended importing illegals where over half of them end up being on government assistance, too.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:59 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:10 pm There aren’t enough resources in America for everyone to have long term care “insurance”. Basically, it’s just impossible to everyone to have small families yet expect stellar care for the last 10 years of their life. The entire world would have to be reconstructed into a giant nursing home.
Once the elderly become too old to safely drive in much of our society they are literally trapped in place, Compared to say much of Europe where you see old people happily sitting around in town squares playing chess or just socializing with their friends and watching the world go by. When they live a block or two away and that is just their daily routine. There was a time long ago when it was more like that here too.
There's a new business in our town that's part of a chain providing a service that is essentially daycare for the elderly. They go around picking up folks from their homes in the morning, and bringing them into their facility for meals, social life, and medical services, then back home in the evening. I don't know how it is financed, but I've heard Medicare covers these services. I assume it's cheaper than staying in a nursing home, or having a dedicated caregiver at home.

I would think that there will be more of these types of businesses as the population continues to age.

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

mike wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:13 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:59 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:10 pm There aren’t enough resources in America for everyone to have long term care “insurance”. Basically, it’s just impossible to everyone to have small families yet expect stellar care for the last 10 years of their life. The entire world would have to be reconstructed into a giant nursing home.
Once the elderly become too old to safely drive in much of our society they are literally trapped in place, Compared to say much of Europe where you see old people happily sitting around in town squares playing chess or just socializing with their friends and watching the world go by. When they live a block or two away and that is just their daily routine. There was a time long ago when it was more like that here too.
There's a new business in our town that's part of a chain providing a service that is essentially daycare for the elderly. They go around picking up folks from their homes in the morning, and bringing them into their facility for meals, social life, and medical services, then back home in the evening. I don't know how it is financed, but I've heard Medicare covers these services. I assume it's cheaper than staying in a nursing home, or having a dedicated caregiver at home.

I would think that there will be more of these types of businesses as the population continues to age.

My brother is looking at starting a business something like this...
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:02 pm No, we aren’t a rich enough society to do it. There aren’t enough resources to give every person round the clock care for the last 10 years of life. Particularly with low birth rates, and particularly when massive resources are being expended importing illegals where over half of them end up being on government assistance, too.
Virtually no one needs round the clock care for 10 years. Many people need no care outside the home before dying and those who do need far less than 10 years on average.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:10 pm The entire world would have to be reconstructed into a giant nursing home.
Lancaster County seems to be off to a good start.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:31 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:02 pm No, we aren’t a rich enough society to do it. There aren’t enough resources to give every person round the clock care for the last 10 years of life. Particularly with low birth rates, and particularly when massive resources are being expended importing illegals where over half of them end up being on government assistance, too.
Virtually no one needs round the clock care for 10 years. Many people need no care outside the home before dying and those who do need far less than 10 years on average.
Then in that case, a medical review board has to decide who gets “free” (or subsidised) nursing care and who doesn’t. (Long term care insurers will have to do the same thing, and my experience with these types of insurers is they will absolutely find a way to pay out as little in claims as possible.)

Incidentally the current trend with Medicaid is Medicaid is looking for ways to spend a lot less, not more, on long term care.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:19 am
Ken wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:31 pm
Then in that case, a medical review board has to decide who gets “free” (or subsidised) nursing care and who doesn’t. (Long term care insurers will have to do the same thing, and my experience with these types of insurers is they will absolutely find a way to pay out as little in claims as possible.)

Incidentally the current trend with Medicaid is Medicaid is looking for ways to spend a lot less, not more, on long term care.
I'm not arguing that it would be a good or easy thing to provide free long-term care to the entire population. Only that we are a wealthy enough nation to do it. But it would come at the expense of many other priorities such as education and health care for the young, infrastructure, and other investments in the future. Rather than investing much of the wealth of the country in the past which is what universal long-term care for all elderly would be.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:01 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:10 pm The entire world would have to be reconstructed into a giant nursing home.
Lancaster County seems to be off to a good start.
Yeah they are 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:42 am I'm not arguing that it would be a good or easy thing to provide free long-term care to the entire population. Only that we are a wealthy enough nation to do it. But it would come at the expense of many other priorities such as education and health care for the young, infrastructure, and other investments in the future. Rather than investing much of the wealth of the country in the past which is what universal long-term care for all elderly would be.
Not investing in the young = no workers to care for old people (a trend that is already happening).
1 x
mrbilliam
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mrbilliam »

Money is a dependency to the world, a dependency to the world systems, and a dependency to the government.
The less the better.

The more self reliance the better. Sure this may take some tools, but one must have a food and raiment attitude.
0 x