Jacob Ammon & the "Martyrs Mirror"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Jeff Altweg
Affiliation: mennonite

Jacob Ammon & the "Martyrs Mirror"

Post by Jeff Altweg »

Jacob Ammon , The father of the Amish beliefs, was a young teenager when the great book "The Martyrs Mirror", was first published in Dutch, in 1660..The main part if not all ,of the burning at the stakes , and drownings , described in the big book was in the past , by 30 or more years ,when Jacob ,through much wrangling and arguments and all ,formed what we today know as the Amish..
I find that most Amish today feel that they're the ones described in the book , That the Amish were put to death for their beliefs , which is not correct , It was a lot of the Mennonites , followers of Menno Simons ,who died in the mid-1500's that took the brunt of it ,
So, the Mennonites pre-dated the Amish belief , by several generations ,
Try and explain that to a strict Amishman , who often tend to think of themselves as the "True believers" ,they probably won't believe it ....
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Jacob Ammon & the "Martyrs Mirror"

Post by Josh »

Amish are a subsect of Mennonites. One group of Swiss Mennonites with Amman and the other group went with Reist.

Virtually none of the people who followed Reist remain Anabaptist or nonviolent to this day; almost all present day Mennonites (whether liberal or conservative) have their lineage from the Amman side of things. With that in mind, perhaps Amman was right about some things and Reist was wrong.
1 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

Dude was named Ammann. Ammon is an ancient people going back to Lot, the brother of Moses. Fun fact: The capital city of Jordan (the country) is still named Amman, after Ammon, not Jakob Ammann.

Sorry for being a wisecrack, I know nobody likes those.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Jeff Altweg wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:52 pm Jacob Ammon , The father of the Amish beliefs, was a young teenager when the great book "The Martyrs Mirror", was first published in Dutch, in 1660..The main part if not all ,of the burning at the stakes , and drownings , described in the big book was in the past , by 30 or more years ,when Jacob ,through much wrangling and arguments and all ,formed what we today know as the Amish..
I find that most Amish today feel that they're the ones described in the book , That the Amish were put to death for their beliefs , which is not correct , It was a lot of the Mennonites , followers of Menno Simons ,who died in the mid-1500's that took the brunt of it ,
So, the Mennonites pre-dated the Amish belief , by several generations ,
Try and explain that to a strict Amishman , who often tend to think of themselves as the "True believers" ,they probably won't believe it ....
You are correct - although there are a few stories in MM about persecution in the Swiss areas, by far the majority of the stories are about the Dutch "baptism-minded". As a Dutch-background Plautdietsch Mennonite, I find it strange that my own people rarely read Martyrs' Mirror, or even have a copy of the book. (I have read through it, taking lots of notes, but the first time I ever laid eyes on a copy of the book was after my wife and I married. Typically, she is from a former Amish family - her parents were Amish until she was 12 years old. Her dad gave a copy to each of their children. My wife has read little if any of it. It was apparently just something each Amish person should have in their home. Some of her cousins have collected a whole library of old books, and they have one of the first editions of Martyr's Mirror. So yes, it is treasured most by a people whose history it is not.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Amish were called "Amish-Mennonites" until the Old Order division following the minster's conferences of 1862-1878.

Hollanders were the first to be called Mennonites (Mennists) but eventually the Swiss/German Brethren were referred to by this name also. So the ancestors of many Amish would have been called Mennonites for awhile before taking on the name Amish-Mennonites (Amman Mennonites).
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Swiss Bro wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:08 am Dude was named Ammann. Ammon is an ancient people going back to Lot, the brother of Moses. Fun fact: The capital city of Jordan (the country) is still named Amman, after Ammon, not Jakob Ammann.

Sorry for being a wisecrack, I know nobody likes those.
Lot the brother of Moses?
1 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 pmVirtually none of the people who followed Reist remain Anabaptist or nonviolent to this day; almost all present day Mennonites (whether liberal or conservative) have their lineage from the Amman side of things.
How, for example, did Lancaster Conference Mennonites derive from Amman's group?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

mike wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:30 am
Josh wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 pmVirtually none of the people who followed Reist remain Anabaptist or nonviolent to this day; almost all present day Mennonites (whether liberal or conservative) have their lineage from the Amman side of things.
How, for example, did Lancaster Conference Mennonites derive from Amman's group?
Or, for that matter the “Russian” Mennonites?
0 x
:hug:
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

It's all in the meaning of words. "Almost all" = "more than ten individuals."
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:47 am
It's all in the meaning of words. "Almost all" = "more than ten individuals."
Words… words. Meaningless babble. Math is the real language here almost all = 10
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat