Jacob Ammon & the "Martyrs Mirror"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Jacob Ammon & the "Martyrs Mirror"

Post by Josh »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:12 am
mike wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:30 am
Josh wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 pmVirtually none of the people who followed Reist remain Anabaptist or nonviolent to this day; almost all present day Mennonites (whether liberal or conservative) have their lineage from the Amman side of things.
How, for example, did Lancaster Conference Mennonites derive from Amman's group?
Or, for that matter the “Russian” Mennonites?
Sorry, I should have said "Swiss Mennonites". Russian Mennonites (who aren't actually Russian) have always been a distinct thing with surprisingly little crossover since the 1600s.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Josh wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:59 pmVirtually none of the people who followed Reist remain Anabaptist or nonviolent to this day; almost all present day Mennonites (whether liberal or conservative) have their lineage from the Amman side of things.
How, for example, did Lancaster Conference Mennonites derive from Amman's group?
What last names do you find in a typical church of such? Sure, there are some Martins and Weavers, but there are a lot more Yoders and Millers.

In terms of the actual lineages from people who followed Reist, very very few remain Anabaptist to this day, in rather sharp contrast to Ammann's group, where you can trace genealogies back surprisingly far. I would venture that the reason for this phenomenon is that so many Amish-Mennonite background people ended up "migrating" to the non-Amish Swiss Mennonite church groups. The present-day Swiss conference is barely 2,000 members.

Of course, this may point to a problem with Ammann's approach as well, that despite being numerically dominant, those who followed him seem to often be attracted to drift over to the remnants of the Reist's teachings. This points to an overarching greater problem with the entire philosophy of Swiss Brethren Anabaptism.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:05 am
What last names do you find in a typical church of such? Sure, there are some Martins and Weavers, but there are a lot more Yoders and Millers.
I'm a member of Hope Mennonite Fellowship, derived from Lancaster Conference by way of EPMC. I'm just asking for information about how Lancaster Conference Mennonites derived from Amman's group. Are you able to back up that claim or not?

In terms of last names in my conference, there are piles of Weavers and Martins, but very few Yoders and Millers. Are you suggesting that last names such as Weaver and Martin are not derived from Amman's group? If so, then it most certainly is not correct to say that virtually none of the people who followed Reist remain Anabaptist or nonviolent to this day.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:12 am
Or, for that matter the “Russian” Mennonites?
Or, the Virginia Mennonites?
0 x
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

silentreader wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:14 am
Swiss Bro wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:08 am Dude was named Ammann. Ammon is an ancient people going back to Lot, the brother of Moses. Fun fact: The capital city of Jordan (the country) is still named Amman, after Ammon, not Jakob Ammann.

Sorry for being a wisecrack, I know nobody likes those.
Lot the brother of Moses?

:oops:
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Josh wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:05 am

In terms of the actual lineages from people who followed Reist, very very few remain Anabaptist to this day, in rather sharp contrast to Ammann's group, where you can trace genealogies back surprisingly far. I would venture that the reason for this phenomenon is that so many Amish-Mennonite background people ended up "migrating" to the non-Amish Swiss Mennonite church groups. The present-day Swiss conference is barely 2,000 members.

Of course, this may point to a problem with Ammann's approach as well, that despite being numerically dominant, those who followed him seem to often be attracted to drift over to the remnants of the Reist's teachings. This points to an overarching greater problem with the entire philosophy of Swiss Brethren Anabaptism.
What are some of the surnames in Reist’s group?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HeIsRisen
Affiliation: Apostolic

Post by HeIsRisen »

So, I was recently listening to this episode of Anabaptist Perspectives

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0XTnUoY ... l2ZQ%3D%3D

Around the 2:40 mark he displays a timeline that might be applicable. There is another timeline on church planters forum called Timeline of Amish Mennonite Separations & Mergers – 1693-2012

https://churchplantersforum.org/resourc ... resources/
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Reist Mennonite surnames include:

Allgyer, Amstutz, Auker, Baer, Bear, Bauman, Bender, Bergey, Boll, Brenneman, Brubacher, Burkholder, Byers, Danner, Derstine, Diller, Eberly, Ebersole, Eby, Ehst, Eshbach, Eshleman, Faus, Fox, Freed, Frey, Funk, Gehman, Good, Groff, Halteman, Heatwole, Hege, High, Hoover, Horst, Hurst, Hostetter, Huber, Kreider, Landis, Lehman, Martin, Miller (Reist offspring), Moyer, Musser, Myers, Newswanger, Nolt, Reiff, Rhodes, Rodes, Rohrer, Rudolph, Sensenig, Shank, Shaum, Shirk, Showalter, Siegrist, Stauffer, Strite, Sweigart, Wadel, Weaver (Reist offspring), Weber, Wenger, Witmer, Zehr, Zeiset, Zimmerman

There are scores of thousands of these folks if not hundreds of thousands of these folks who are still non-resistant and non-conformed.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Josh seems to be speaking from his experience in Midwest churches and or CMC. Where Miller's and Yoders proliferate. Bur those groups derive from Amish lineage.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Ernie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:56 pm Reist Mennonite surnames include:

Allgyer, Amstutz, Auker, Baer, Bear, Bauman, Bender, Bergey, Boll, Brenneman, Brubacher, Burkholder, Byers, Danner, Derstine, Diller, Eberly, Ebersole, Eby, Ehst, Eshbach, Eshleman, Faus, Fox, Freed, Frey, Funk, Gehman, Good, Groff, Halteman, Heatwole, Hege, High, Hoover, Horst, Hurst, Hostetter, Huber, Kreider, Landis, Lehman, Martin, Miller (Reist offspring), Moyer, Musser, Myers, Newswanger, Nolt, Reiff, Rhodes, Rodes, Rohrer, Rudolph, Sensenig, Shank, Shaum, Shirk, Showalter, Siegrist, Stauffer, Strite, Sweigart, Wadel, Weaver (Reist offspring), Weber, Wenger, Witmer, Zehr, Zeiset, Zimmerman

There are scores of thousands of these folks if not hundreds of thousands of these folks who are still non-resistant and non-conformed.
A question (or two):
Are the Reist Mennonites by any chance the ones that we "Russian Mennonites" always called "Old Mennonites"? (I am not referring to "Old COLONY Mennonites - that is something different, a group from my own people.) I had never heard this designation before.
Second, I see the name Funk in your list. I have Funk relatives, and it is a fairly common name in Plautdietsch circles. Do you know the genealogical/ethnic background for this family name?
EDIT: A third... Now I also see the name Wadel in your list. I wonder if there is a connection between Wadel and Wedel.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.