The Anabaptist perception on "botique" coffee?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How much of a coffee snob are you?

1- Not at all. Coffee is coffee.
25%
2-
31%
3- Like to think I can hold my own.
31%
4-
No votes
5- I'm full tilt, 100% a snob!
13%

Total votes: 16

ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: The Anabaptist perception on "botique" coffee?

Post by ken_sylvania »

Signtist wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:06 am
You got a cow that produces straight cream?
There's a subtle difference between cream straight from the cow, straight cream from the cow, and cream from the straight cow.
:angel
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: The Anabaptist perception on "botique" coffee?

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:30 am
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:48 am
BBQ is really controversial down here. We live on the tomato line. Some of you know what that means ...
People really do have sharp opinions about this. I think it is more an expression of regional pride and tribalism than culinary taste. I'm from Georgia where BBQ is definitely tomato based but I like them all, vinegar, tomato and mustard.
There are the regional differences in BBQ styles which is its own source of argument and regional rivalry. Which aren't just to do with sauces, but also what you are actually BBQing. For example in Texas BBQ almost always means beef brisket smoked for hours in a wood fired oven of some sort. In the Carolinas I think BBQ is more pork-based and they are into things like whole-hog BBQ. Driving through rural PA and Kentucky you see lots of BBQ chicken places which you don't see in Texas (they have fried chicken instead).

But there is also a level of obsession that borders on pathological when it comes to BBQ. In Texas there are aficionados who spend their weekends and spare time on the "BBQ trail" in rural Texas seeking out the best BBQ in the state and there are endless web sites and magazine/newspaper articles reviewing and picking the newest best BBQ place. Often they are just some sort of hole in the wall joint out of the back of a rural grocery store or some such. And when a place hits the lists you have to get there at 9 am before they run out and you wind up standing in line outside some rural BBQ joint just to get your pile of brisket and a slice of white bread on a square of butcher paper. So it is every bit the culinary obsession as coffee if not more so.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactiv ... -bbq-2021/
https://texas-barbecue.com/texas-barbecue-top-25-2022/

Lockhart TX which is between Austin and San Antonio seems to be the mecca of TX BBQ and people flock there from all over the state to sample BBQ at the various places that line the main street of that small town. https://austin.eater.com/2016/6/16/1195 ... ere-to-eat

Where we lived in Waco there were probably at least 25 different BBQ places around town and nearly every work related event that got catered for myself (education) or my wife (healthcare) was either a BBQ spread catered by one of the local BBQ places, or else a fajita bar catered by one of the many local Mexican restaurants. In 13 years of living there I never saw anything else but BBQ or Mexican.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr