The Anabaptist perception on "botique" coffee?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

How much of a coffee snob are you?

1- Not at all. Coffee is coffee.
25%
2-
31%
3- Like to think I can hold my own.
31%
4-
No votes
5- I'm full tilt, 100% a snob!
13%

Total votes: 16

Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The Anabaptist perception on "botique" coffee?

Post by Bootstrap »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:05 pm You do NOT, for example, want to start an argument about the "best" cornbread with a group of elderly southern Black women if you know what is good for you (or about BBQ amongst the men). And that is not a wealthy snobbish demographic.
White stone-ground cornmeal, not that yellow stuff. No wheat flour, whole wheat or not. Buttermilk, real buttermilk. It's better if you grease the pan with bacon fat, but butter will do.

And I know several elderly black women who will back me up on that ...

BBQ is really controversial down here. We live on the tomato line. Some of you know what that means ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

White stone-ground cornmeal, not that yellow stuff. No wheat flour, whole wheat or not. Buttermilk, real buttermilk. It's better if you grease the pan with bacon fat, but butter will do.
Very southern cornbread. Many around here make that too. I'm a northerner and make what others call sweet cornbread and more cake like. The southern one is not my cup of tea/or coffee. :)
And yes BBQ is a big thing that can invoke much emotion- to say the least. :D

Muskrat is also big around here in Jan- I'll let them enjoy it and let them enjoy my portion too.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I have no personal convictions on what kind of coffee or how much to drink. Every day, being retired, we take a drive somewhere and usually start out with a MacDonalds coffee. We chose them over Tim Horton's as for some reason the MacDonalds sits best on our stomachs. And, being seniors, MacDonalds gives a senior discount. :lol:

Our coffee at home is half decaf and half regular and quite weak.

I don't get that specific in my Christian stewardship choices as I live under grace not the law. ;)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:00 am So where do you see yourself on the coffee snob scale? Vote and discuss. If you do not drink coffee, and prefer tea or some other hot beverage, feel free to comment.
I'm not a coffee snob, but I'm a spelling snob, so I raised my nose right up in the air when I saw this thread.

And speaking of coffee and spelling, one of our sales reps just gave me this for Christmas. Pin the tail on the spelling error. Life must be too short to get the spelling right on your fancy packaging!

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

someone lost an "o" in translation it seems.

There are two more spelling errors.

The correct abbreviation for gram in either English or Spanish is not Gr. It is g or gm

And in Spanish it isn't cafe, it is café

And the capitalization is inconsistent. There are at least four words that are incorrectly capitalized.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:08 pm someone lost an "o" in translation it seems.

That's an error that spell check never finds but a good grammar check should.

Also the correct abbreviation for gram in either English or Spanish is not Gr. It is g or gm
The overuse of ellipses is also unforgiveable...
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:13 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:08 pm someone lost an "o" in translation it seems.

That's an error that spell check never finds but a good grammar check should.

Also the correct abbreviation for gram in either English or Spanish is not Gr. It is g or gm
The overuse of ellipses is also unforgiveable...
The longer I look at it the more errors I find. I added two more to my post upstream. Cafe is missing an accent and capitalization is a mess.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

It seems "tostado" might actually be correct in context, even if the beans are not served on a tortilla. That's one I would have questioned. Maybe "asado" primarily applies to meat.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:01 pm It seems "tostado" might actually be correct in context, even if the beans are not served on a tortilla. That's one I would have questioned. Maybe "asado" primarily applies to meat.
tostado is correct. It just means roasted beans (as opposed to unroasted green beans)
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:58 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:00 am So where do you see yourself on the coffee snob scale? Vote and discuss. If you do not drink coffee, and prefer tea or some other hot beverage, feel free to comment.
I'm not a coffee snob, but I'm a spelling snob, so I raised my nose right up in the air when I saw this thread.

And speaking of coffee and spelling, one of our sales reps just gave me this for Christmas. Pin the tail on the spelling error. Life must be too short to get the spelling right on your fancy packaging!

Yeah, I know you Americans like to leave "u's" out but this is maybe going a bit far, eh?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown