"The lean years"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

"The lean years"

Post by steve-in-kville »

From past polls on age demographics, the vast majority are around age 40 and above, with a few below that age. At that age, most have lived long enough to experience financial difficulties, whether through a national recession, personal hardships, or some other cause. I would imagine that in almost every situation, people manage to pull out of it, things get better and perhaps some lessons are learned.

But one thing I have gleaned from both my own experiences and listening to others tell their stories: those experiences stick with you. It may even mold you are today, and it should have an impact how you view others that are struggling.

I have no real agenda for this thread, although I am sure I will be along to tell stories later. Feel free to share your insights, experiences, observations, and so forth.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: "The lean years"

Post by Ernie »

My only lean years were those when I decided to leave home and "frontier" on 10 acres of woods in Arkansas. I always liked the idea of frontier-ing and wanted to try it sometime. Didn't have a lot of money and needed something to live on while also spending months developing the property. I was also teaching at Calvary Bible School at the time and other ministry endeavors that did not result in a lot of income. During the development stage, I got married.
Unfortunately, a neighbor decided to buy the property next to me, cut down some older growth forest on the property, and build 12 chicken barns on it. His property was the nicest tract of land in the county, at the top of a bluff, with a beautiful view of the valley. This devalued my property and ruined our plans for what to do with it. Cabins/counseling/etc.
So we soon moved east to be nearer my family and my handicapped brother.
I would not exchange the frontier-ing experience. But if you want to "save" a property, you might need to get your friends with similar perspectives to buy the properties around it.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Our lean years were when we were young, newly married, starting a family, etc. We were attempting to start a business as well, that required purchasing equipment, then buying a house, me quitting my job when our first child was born, etc. Our debt was large. But we learned many cost saving habits which we still practice today, even though we probably wouldn't need to.
1 x
steve-in-kville

Thank you for sharing that. As a follow up question, do you regret those hard times? Was it an asset later in life? Or still to be determined?
0 x

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:46 am Thank you for sharing that. As a follow up question, do you regret those hard times? Was it an asset later in life? Or still to be determined?
Hard to say... From a financial perspective... I wish I could have bought a house 10 years ago rather than waiting until this year when prices are now double.

Growing up, my family had barely any extra finances as my dad was a teacher in the pioneer days of Christian day schools. And in those days, there was little vision for paying teachers a living wage. But we were never hungry and never without clothes and never without shelter. I think it is good for children to be raised at the edge of poverty (or living as if they were poor) as long as they get healthy food, etc. Not sure that I needed more of that as an adult, but my younger years did prepare me for living with less, and I value that to this day.

The frontier-ing expedition was mostly a "being the person I was created to be" sort of venture. Having some lean years in order to be able to frontier was worth it just for that. At one point, I needed hernia surgery on both sides. I asked to be anointed with oil and prayed for, and one of the reasons for this was that I didn't have any extra money. God healed me. So that was a faith builder.

6 1/2 years ago a brother in our church asked me, "Why aren't you a church planter, if that is what you think you are called to do?" I told him that I need to spend my days making a livelihood. He said, "Real church planters don't wait on funding. They just do it!" I decided to take his challenge seriously.

A few months later, our church blessed us to take a trip to China to meet with people we had been discipling.

A year later we were up against a wall... our ministry labors had increased and we wanted to do more, but I couldn't afford to take off more time to do it. I discussed this with my wife and at lunch time we asked God for direction in knowing what to do about this. At 2:24 that afternoon, I received an email from a church in another state. Here is how it read... "I am writing to ask if there may some way in which we could bless you and the church in the ministry of reaching out to international students. The Lord blessed our church some years ago with funds to assist in reaching international students...we do not feel comfortable with the funds being idle..."
The timing could not have been more providential. And this church has been sending us an annual gift ever since.

So learning to depend on the Lord is definitely something I learned during the lean years.
4 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville

Ernie wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:24 am

So learning to depend on the Lord is definitely something I learned during the lean years.
That is an amazing story!

Things like this should be a thread of its own.
0 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

My "lean years" include fleeing from the German blitzkrieg of Great Britain. It certainly taught us early that there are truly worthwhile worries and planning; and the rest is pettifogging crumbs and hypocrisy.
Stay calm and disciple on.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

In 2007-2008 I was doing a lot of construction work tract/spec builders. When the real estate crash happened they couldn’t pay me. No work left to do either. We struggled around until 2011. Then I closed my business, liquidated my equipment, sold real estate, paid all my supplier debts. My equipment was paid for. Hard to shut down a business and lay off good employees. Painful to sell heavy equipment and real estate for the low prices at the time because of so few buyers. We rented a house for cheap from Dad. Then got a $12.00 an hour, 72 hours a week warehouse job. Lots of $18 hour overtime.
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:27 am
But one thing I have gleaned from both my own experiences and listening to others tell their stories: those experiences stick with you. It may even mold you are today, and it should have an impact how you view others that are struggling.
100%
I am a lot more conservative with debt and cash now than I was in 2006. I’d say it permanently changed me in the ways you mentioned.
2 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Our lean years weren't as bad as some since my debt wasn't crushing, but the first years of marriage were tight. I was making around $18,000 a year teaching private school plus what I could make in the summer. Once I borrowed money from my dad for heating oil, and my wife and I worked after school at my dad's store to help make ends meet. A year after we got married, our son was born via emergency C-section which our church helped us out with, but he was allergic to milk and needed a special formula that cost us around $400 a month. But those were great years. We had time to shop at thrift stores, yard sales, and auctions for stuff we needed, and remodeled our fixer-upper house as cheaply as we could. We drove old cars (still do, mostly), and I learned how to fix various things myself with the help of my father-in-law and my neighbor because I couldn't afford repair technicians. I wouldn't wish to have had it any differently.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3