The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Post by steve-in-kville »

Do you actively follow any blogs, vlogs podcasts and other such media?

Be it for business or occupation, religious and spiritual things, hobbies and personal interests, or maybe something else?

A few coworkers listen to one popular podcast that interviews a wide range of people. I personally have taken to listening/watching a few that are both motivational and spiritual at the same time.

I cannot stand having something in my ear all the time and enjoy silence or the thoughts (voices?) in my own head.

What is your take or experience on such things? Would your church have any standards, written or otherwise, on following such media?
podcast.jpg
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Re: The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I listen to The Holy Post once in a while. They mostly talk about wider culture's influence on/by the American evangelical movement. Although the hosts would still identify as evangelicals, they talk about it from a critical lens. Lots of intersection with worldly politics (which is, sadly, part and parcel with evangelicalism), so sometimes it feels more like a Christian take on American politics, but it's not all bad. I particularly like Skye Jethani's takes; he might no have shed the label publically, but he's clearly some sort of post-evangelical. And Kaitlyn Schess has some good insight and isn't afraid to talk from a very broad-Christian-tradition perspective. Phil Vischer is mostly there to insert jokes if the topic goes on too long, and sometimes he can feel like a buzzkill, or annoying, but he's fine for the most part. Especially when he's humbled by Skye.

I also like Anabaptist Perspectives a lot.

I listen occasionally to Strength to Strength. I think I'd like it better joining the Zoom call.

I listened to the whole season available of The Armchair Anabaptist. Good, season-long discussion on the doctrine of nonresistance. A bit more nuanced than I would like it to be (toward the end of the season, their participants show a wide range of opinions on Christian's doing policework), but I really appreciated hearing those various takes on the topic.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: The Anabaptist perception on the following of blogs, vlogs, podcasts and more!

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:56 am What is your take or experience on such things? Would your church have any standards, written or otherwise, on following such media?
Blogs, no, for lack of time and because most personal blogs of people I would follow have switched over to social media. And following blogs per se is basically a thing of the past. Remember Google Reader?

Vlogs, maybe if they come across my radar, but there are none that I subscribe to and watch every episode. I don't have a lot time to sit and watch something.

Podcasts, now there you got me. I enjoy listening to podcasts while doing routine work such as closing my store or driving truck.

My church has no written standards governing these things that I am aware of.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Not a plain Anabaptist ...

I listen to podcasts fairly regularly. But even more, audio books, which let me choose things that are more predictably good on topics I am currently interested in. Good while stretching, doing chores, cooking, etc.

The Bible Project has some great podcasts ...
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville

mike wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:32 pm
Podcasts, now there you got me. I enjoy listening to podcasts while doing routine work such as closing my store or driving truck.

I could never listen to anything while working. Some years ago when I worked nights I tried to listen to music (my employer allows it, with one earbud only). Couldn't do it. That before Bluetooth and one had to fish the cord down the shirt.

I've taken to listen to things at bedtime or on break, typically on YouTube. A good many of my coworkers are hooked on Joe Rogen using Spotify. Never took it that far... yet.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:56 pm

I could never listen to anything while working. Some years ago when I worked nights I tried to listen to music (my employer allows it, with one earbud only). Couldn't do it. That before Bluetooth and one had to fish the cord down the shirt.

I've taken to listen to things at bedtime or on break, typically on YouTube. A good many of my coworkers are hooked on Joe Rogen using Spotify. Never took it that far... yet.
Speaking of Spotify, it's the only way my family listens to music these days. CDs are a thing of the past, and with the demise of Google Music, we don't even have a way to listen to my digitized collection. Much of it is on Spotify anyway, and we have a family membership which eliminates all ads and lets us have multiple parent and child accounts.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville

mike wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:08 pm
Speaking of Spotify, it's the only way my family listens to music these days. CDs are a thing of the past, and with the demise of Google Music, we don't even have a way to listen to my digitized collection. Much of it is on Spotify anyway, and we have a family membership which eliminates all ads and lets us have multiple parent and child accounts.
That's good to know. These young bucks I work with are telling me its the hot set up, $10/month I'm told.
0 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:08 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:56 pm

I do not know Spotify. Our son used some sort of a CD player that attaches to the computer. He made copies of all of our CDs as files on the computer. Those files are also on a hard drive. It makes it easy for the family to put their favorite music on those tiny digital thingamies for when they go walking or doing chores.

Like Steve I never cared for working with music. It is a distraction. Live concerts of Gregorian chant are lovely. I find that quiet, even silence is preferable for much of the day.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I have started listening to this podcast, which seems really helpful to me:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/po ... ing-human/
The nature of reactivity, how it disconnects us, and how being a ‘well self’ is kept for human flourishing.
Told from a Christian perspective. These are things I am working on.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I listened to local AM station that played exclusively Western Swing back when I was in early HS, then quit entirely. (That radio station was playing mostly music from the late 40's, so it was "retro" Western music back when I was tuning in.)

Our sons listen to some trivia sort of "something-or-other", a group of people who get together and quiz each other on random topics. (Random, but each "session" is on one general topic, and one of them organizes it each time.)

But for myself, aside from MennoNet, a couple of Plautdietsch culture, language, and genealogy related Face Book groups, the only places where I am involved is on one old car discussion forum, a ratrod forum, and then one for each of our current vehicles, as a place to go to get answers for vehicle issues, and to hopefully help someone else out in return, from time to time. I do not tend to like to watch video discussions, or audio recordings. (Prefer reading, soIi can scan ahead, to see if I want to bother with it.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.